Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donaleen

Oven Karma

Donaleen Kohn
9 years ago

Our oven died just a few days before Thanksgiving. Over the years we've had multiple oven failures on or near Thanksgiving. It must be oven karma.

This oven, which is a Fisher Paykel OB30DEPX1, didn't work when we purchased it new four years ago. In that case the problem was two wires which were crossed when it was manufactured. And this time it was another manufacturing issue, a bad connection caused by damage to the cable connector. The connector was so loose that it arced and built up carbon over the years until it finally stopped working all together.

This time it died when we were in the middle of preparing for a dinner party. The cake was baked. The corn bread (two different batches) was baked. The pork verde was in the oven when it died so we had to finish cooking it on the stove top. That worked pretty well but the consistency was changed. And we were bummed to have a broken oven AGAIN.

It was a huge hassle when we had the original problem. Fisher Paykel was not easy to deal with. I think it took about a month of much time on the phone with them. The first two techs who came could not diagnose the problem. We had to wait a long time for parts that didn't fix the problem. It was a terrible customer service experience. And with a brand spanking new oven.

But finally we hit gold and got a technician who could really diagnose problems. He read the schematic and found the crossed wires. I saved his contact information and I sent him an email on Saturday night after our party. When I got up on Sunday, I had a response. I was so excited that I woke John to tell him.

And today our oven is fixed. Ahhhh....

Steve says he likes his job and intends to work there a long time. We are very happy to know that.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos and words

Comments (2)