Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dfzmom

Show me your kitchen without island or peninsula

dfzmom
13 years ago

Please show me your kitchens without an island or a peninsula (but not a galley). The latest plan for our 11 1/2 foot wide kitchen has sink and range in an L with fridge and pantry on opposite wall from the sink. I don't see many on this site without one or the other. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

My old house presented some particular problems, an island wasn't happening, but the work table piece can be pulled out and the 24x48 top is fairly roomy. The non-working wall houses a TV and glass-front cabinets (no bases) to keep the space open. The working part is across two walls, l-shape, the long leg is almost 18'.

Even though it's not a great big kitchen, the work flow and zones work amazingly well. The prep sink is the key.
    Casey

• dfzmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! You have a very unique kitchen with lots of character. I love what you did with the soffits. Did you have the work table custom made? I would love something like that but don't really have the room to tuck it away.

• kngwd
    13 years ago

Your kitchen sounds like my current kitchen! We are struggling with the layout for the new kitchen - kind of tight for the island I thought I wanted. Now I'm debating between the penisula or just keeping the L we have! I'll see if I can get a picture of the current (hideous) kitchen posted later to show you. I really don't mind the layout at all, but feel like if I'm spending all this money for a new kitchen I should change something!!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

The work table is a stock item; I know they're in the Kraftmaid catalog; my cabinets were RTA from Conestoga, to save some (a lot of) money. I got the butcherblock top from another supplier.
    Casey

• artemis78
    13 years ago

We are doing almost exactly that layout (L with range and sink, with fridge + baking area across from the sink in an almost 13' wide space), and will be done soon, so I'll post pictures in the next few weeks. We could have squeaked an island in with some other design sacrifices, but opted not to. I don't think I would have tried an island with anything narrower than 13', though. Our pre-remodel kitchen had a very similar layout, and we used (and liked) the center space at parties and such for people to gather.

Apparently it is not an officially recognized "type" of kitchen, but I have seen it a few other places, too!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

I did a U. Ripped out the peninsula - Oh happy day! Added cabinets on the third wall. I'm glad I did.

My kitchen album has gotten terribly messy but you can look through it if you'd like.

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen album

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

bump

• lyvia
    13 years ago

My plan is almost L shape; I call it fish hook shape. There's no island, and no real peninsula, but the table sticks out a bit (It's a guess whether that will be handy or an obstacle). The old kitchen is 11x11 (from fridge to passthrough)and the top is addition.

• cheri127
    13 years ago

This is the closest pic of a long view I have. Sorry it's not better. Our kitchen is 11 x 16 with 4 doorways and two 6" by 36" wide protrusions that narrow it to 10 ft at one spot and a pipe chase that narrows it in another so no island for us. We did an standard L-shape.