Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackchamois

Counter choices - Raven, Frosty Carrina, Piatra Gray

blackchamois
10 years ago

Yes, counter choices ... again! Bear with me!

So I live in a small condo in Southern California. When I decided to give my 20 yr old condo a facelift, I wanted the choices to reflect "me". I'm not sure how I would describe my taste but I'll just say that I want my space to have a "casual Pottery Barn-esque vibe" to it.

Having said that, I don't want it to be too taste specific that it would look out of place. (I'm not necessary planning to move any time soon. Nevertheless, I always try to keep resale somewhat in mind.)

About my space as it stands right now:
Floor - Mohawk in Mocha Maple
Fireplace - new mantle and columns, limestone tile hearth and surround
Paint (Dining/Living) - BM Edgecomb Gray
Paint (trim) - BM Simply White
I plan to purchase a custom size sectional with 2 sets of slipcovers ... one in a white/off white and the other in TBD. (I like having options :))
Ignore the OLD sofa, ottoman and ugly brown rug.

The kitchen that you see is coming out! The cabinets need to be replaced (long story) and I'm anticipating that the counters (Caesarstone Raven) will not make the transition unscathed. So I am prepared to have to replace them. That being the case, I am considering some of the newer Caesarstone colors - Frosty Carrina or Piatra Gray (love the veining) or ... sticking with the Raven! The newer colors would increase the cost of the counters by about $500. I don't dislike the Raven, but think maybe the PG has a "softer" look to it. Not sure that the FC will go with the white of my cabinets.

Here is what else I have locked down for the kitchen -
Cabinets - Shaker style and just "white" paint color that my cabinet maker uses (so it's probably a tad cooler than Simply White)
Appliances and sink - SS
Faucet - Moen Brantford in chrome
Knobs/Pulls - Have not purchased yet, but was planning on doing the Amerock Highland Ridge in polished nickel

What are your thoughts? Here are a few pics of my space. (Don't know how to post multiple so will be in separate posts :()

Comments (19)

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a closer shot of the fireplace ...

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The fabric draped over the chair is for the dining window/slider drapery - grey/offwhite/brown/lime green.

Lots of decorating still to do. A work in progress for sure!

• marissa16
    10 years ago

Black chamois I am redoing my kitchen in Florida and will be using the Piatra grey with white cabinets. I also like the white veining with the charcoal gray. Not fond of the carrera. Just too faux marble and the raven would be too dark for me. I think the Piatra would look good with that fabric. The grey against the white has a nice clean look.

• marissa16
    10 years ago

Black chamois I am redoing my kitchen in Florida and will be using the Piatra grey with white cabinets. I also like the white veining with the charcoal gray. Not fond of the carrera. Just too faux marble and the raven would be too dark for me. I think the Piatra would look good with that fabric. The grey against the white has a nice clean look.

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    10 years ago

marissa16 - Can't wait to see yours! I'm on a time crunch to get this done before Christmas. I am most concerned about the time it will take for the slab to come in so I'd like to order it early so when it comes time to template they can get started right away. That may make my decision for me. I've heard some of the new colors are on backorder and not getting the next shipment until later in Dec :(

I didn't find that the Raven was darker than the PG - at least the samples I have - they are about the same depth of color. In my opinion the PG has a hint of brown compared to the Raven. They both are great! It's a hard choice!

• marissa16
    10 years ago

Looks like you will be happy either way. I am heading to Florida in 2 weeks and hope to get started in December. Was not aware of a possible back order. Probably won't get done til January. Will be interested to see how yours turns out. I am going with a metallic gray silgranit sink and probably white glass backsplash. Good luck with yours. I can email pics when done.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Your condo is lovely. The wall color and white trim perfectly complements your floor stain. Pretty fireplace too. You've got an excellent background for your new kitchen.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Have you ruled out Lagos Blue and Pebble? Lagos Blue might tie in with your fp surround--that may or may not be desirable to you, but it's a thought. Pebble appealed to me when I saw it in real life last week. Have you messed around with the visualizer?

P.S. A couple of Apple Martini coasters?

Here is a link that might be useful: Caeserstone Visualizer

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

Can you post pics with your samples up against your fabric and cabinets? I know things don't look the same in pics but I'd be curious to see the differences side by side.

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

Can you post pics with your samples up against your fabric and cabinets? I know things don't look the same in pics but I'd be curious to see the differences side by side.

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

I am waiting for my raven sample but have the others. I am considering Piatra, London or Misty C.. Misty and Frosty are very similar whites but the Frosty seems a bit too sleek and stark - at least in the small sample.

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    10 years ago

romy - Thank you. I saw the pics of your kitchen in my post on pull sizes. So pretty. Did you use one of these counters in your kitchen? The FC perhaps? I can't recall.

detective - I was considering both Lagos Blue and Pebble but decided that the Lagos was just too much brown with the floors and fireplace. And the Pebble was too close in color to all my stainless appliances so I wanted something either darker or lighter. They both are so pretty though! That apple martini sure is a fun color!

lesmobo - Here you go ... Cabinet door against the PG, FC and LG ... all sitting on top of the Raven penisula.

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And one more ...

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

So hard to choose. I don't think you can go wrong if that makes you feel any better. The FC will pick up your trim and mantle, new sofas and the greys. The PG would highlight your greys, tie in your trim, but also pick up your floors and fp - my sample has a bit of a brown undertone to the charcoal as well. I like the raven but without my own sample its harder to tell. Maybe flip a coin? It will be beautiful whatever you choose.

• farmhousebound
    10 years ago

My vote is for the middle one in your picture :)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

And I vote for either of the 2 end samples. I like a bit more contrast with the white cabs and trim, and also the darker one will give some more definition to the kitchen space.

But any of them will look really good-- it is just what you like best!

You have a lovely space -- really like your fireplace surround!

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks farmhousebound and raee!

Of the 3 new ones, I'm leaning towards the FC - one reason being, I need a countertop for my guestbath vanity* and there would be enough left from the kitchen to do the vanity top.

But I am wondering if it looks to creamy against the white of the cabinets. I do want to warm up the ktichen a little as my cabs lean more towards a crisp white. No one has commented that doesn't look good with the cab white so maybe it's ok. I'm having such a hard time picturing the white/white with the rest of the space. Ugh!

(*I really like Organic White better for the guest bath, but I am also try to save some $, and thinking FC would suffice.)

Otherwise, it'll probably be Raven.

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

Just curious, when you compare Raven and PG, do you see a difference in tone? Does PG seem more warm than Raven (I still dont have a sample of Raven)?

I don't think the FC is too creamy at all with your cabs.