Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
logung

which fireclay sinks are best?

logung
15 years ago

Hi all

First time poster, long time lurker.

I have one question I haven't found an answer for in searching through the forum, which fireclay sinks are best?

I want to get an undermount fireclay sink as high (deep?) as possible and originally was looking at the rohl allia but discounted it as it is too wide for my cramped kitchen at 19.5 inches. So now I'm looking at farm sinks 30" x 18" x 10" which seems to be the standard and will work in my little kitchen.

I'm not going to have it apron style, it will be fully undermounted beneath a dark wood countertop. No waste disposal system and counter fitted faucets (kohler finial i think).

I've basically got it down to about six brands that make farm sinks that could be used purely as undermount as opposed to apron style.

Barclay, Rohl/Shaws, KWC, Belle Floret, Porcher & Astracast.

I know that the Rohl/Shaws sink is v. popular on this site and it is one that I am considering although it is also the most expensive option! I like the fact that it is made by Shaws of England who have a century of experience in fireclay production. But what about these other brands? Are their sinks really that inferior? If not then why would I spend twice as much money on the shaws for what will look essentially identical when undermounted?

Barclay - A US brand I think? Their sink is available for 500/600

which is pretty good but I don't know anything about them.

KWC - are swiss I think. pretty expensive too.

Belle Floret - sounds fancy but I think this is a Home Depot brand? - relatively cheap at around 400/500

Porcher - also relatively cheaper but, of all the non-Rohl sinks this is the only brand I've found posts about, mostly negative posts.

Astracast - a UK brand, seems good but not many people supply it and there's no place in NYC to view one.

What do you all think? I know the Rohl/Shaws owners love their sinks so I'm already convinced of Rohl/Shaws quality, I really want to know why I should pay the extra for Rohl/Shaws over these other brands?

Btw thanks to everyone on the forum for all the advice I've already gleaned from this site in my seemingly endless kitchen planning process.....:)

Comments (25)

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

wow that was scary...since I am installing a Rohls Allia undermount soon.
    I have heard only great things about them and it really is beautiful and
    big. In all my research here kevin, I have not seen you comment on this,
    did I miss it or is this your first?

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Me too, my heart just dropped as I have the expensive French one you spoke of and have my countertops going in Friday. Please, anyone else with experience with cracking fireclay sinks?

• logung
    Original Author
    15 years ago

double wow!

thanks for the reply kevin, it's good to hear from people who work with kitchen remodels on a regular basis

i knew they might nick or chip if you dropped something but I had no idea they were that fragile! Hmm... I'll have to look in to it some more.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I installed a Rohl Allia in a previous home and will be installing a new one soon. I did not have any problems at all. I have not heard of one cracking but anything is possible. Some many on these forums have fireclay sinks that I think one person would at least have chimed in to describe a scenario where one has been broken. There are porcelain sinks out there that are different from Fireclay sinks. I do know that several people have complained about Astracast sinks and the Porcher equivalent. They appear to have chipped.

Good luck!

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

homepro, thanks for the reassurance...I am really looking forward
    to my Rohl Allia!
    vic

• homepro01
    15 years ago

Good luck Vicnsb!

• lmarletto
    15 years ago

I have the Astracast. I read here that they are made at the same factory as the Rohl sinks, but that thread seems to have rolled off the bottom because I can't bring it up in my searches. There is a small imperfection in the finish on the back, but because of the side we wanted the drain on, that's buried under the counter. DH has broken a ceramic bowl and a glass casserole lid in it. We haven't managed to chip the sink yet though. I do miss the softness of stainless. Sadly, no sink material has *all* my favorite features. I have to say, I'm glad I didn't cough up the $$ for the Rohl.

homepro01, who has complained about their Astracast? I thought I was the only one posting here that had one.

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Again - To all:

Sorry to be the "downer" here and since 2001, I have refused to
    work with any "fireclay" type sinks... I have no hidden agenda other than
    i prefer to MAKE money rather than LOSE it because a sink cracks or chips -
    Just to make sure I am talking about the right product - I am totally cool
    with installing a cast iron & porcelain type sink, or a glazed porcelain sink (like
    a Kohler Caxton)...

But the type of glazed fired unit that has a very soft yellowish/cream looking bisque - forget it - I'd
    rather have my GUMBS SCRAPED!!!!

Put what you want in your homes - Just be advised that some products
    do NOT hold up as well as others....

No disrespect meant to anyone, or to the French or any other manufacturers of fireclay sinks...
    But...the only place I have used fireclay - is in fireplaces!!! ;-)

kevin

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

I have a Franke fireclay undermount sink and and I abuse it daily. No chips stains or cracks.

I think fireclay sinks are harder to install due to the weight, but once installed they hold up very well, better then most of the competitive products.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

LMarletto,
    I recollect someone having to have it removed after a huge issue with chips. It has probably been about two years now. I will try to do a search in google for the Astracast/Porcher and see if I can see the feedback.

Kevin,
    Not offended. I have installed two of these so far and really love them for my home.

Good luck!

• Bethpen
    15 years ago

Yikes!
    They just installed my Franke Matte Black fireclay sink today. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed....It took over two months to get it.

Beth

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

I have 2 fireclay sinks in my kitchen, one an apron-front the other a small square undermount. They are in soapstone counter tops. The big'un is a Whitehaus 30" w., the small one is a Rohl IIRC. They need some care in the planning and installation, but they have both been bulletproof in terms of wear. Barkeeper's Friend removes metal streaks. A Magic Eraser keeps them clean day to day. Both took disposer flanges easily without the (expensive) upgrade to a deep flange.
    I'm 100% sold on these sinks, which I installed myself, BTW.
    Casey

• momof3kids_pa
    15 years ago

I have a Franke white fireclay. It's not even hooked up yet as we are knee deep in our remodel. However, my husband accidently dropped a brick from about 6 feet above right into the bowl of the sink, all in all there is the teeniest tiny little chip, probably not more than a large grain of sand. On one hand I am devastated after buying this expensive sink and not even getting to use it yet and it's already bruised, but I'm trying (trying hard) to look at the plus side that it is probably pretty strong if that's all that happened from such a nightmare senario.

My husband didn't fare so well.

• betsy_anne
    15 years ago

Another vote for fireclay - I have had a Shaw's 30" apron front (fluted) for two years and it is still as nice as the day installed. Be sure that we have dropped things/pots on it, knives and assorted other items (I have twin 7 yo boys).

If I had it to do over, I would have a fireclay in the island as well (Oliveri stainless).

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

But the type of glazed fired unit that has a very soft yellowish/cream looking bisque

Azstone,

Is it possible your talking about a different product or worked with a defective product? The type of fireclay I have is stonger then porcelein, and has held up better them my old cast iron/enamel sink and also an old stainless. I cook with cast iron daily, and bang stuff all the time. I do have a grate at the bottom of the sink. NO chips or scratches of any kind.

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Susanilz5-

The sinks indeed could have been defective, or of a poorer
    quality, etc - yes absolutely this could have been the case.

I learned from those two experiences back in 2001, and have since - stayed away from anything closely resembeling this
    kind of product - I like to stick with products that
    do not cause me pain, embarassment, or lose of revenue.

Stainless steel, copper & glazed/cast iron have been my "friends" over the years...

If your sink is serving you well - I say - God Bless Ya!!!

kevin

• lafacia
    11 years ago

I had a Shaws apron front farm sink in my last kitchen for ten years. Nothing careful about the way I cook or do dishes. It had some nicks in the bottom but otherwise held up really well. Getting ready to do a new kitchen now and I will definitely be buying the same sink. Wonder if how that particular company is manufacturing them is the problem - and not that they are fireclay. Can't help with the original question. I fell in love with this sink and I didn't even look around. This time around I like the Waterworks farm sink too because it has the offset drain though I think it's even more expensive than the Shaws...of course it is...

• kalapointer
    11 years ago

I have 2 Rohl Allias and an apron front Domsjo Ikea sink. All are fire clay and have been installed for over 2 years. No trouble with cracks or chips in any of them. I do not baby them, but I have not dropped anything heavy in them either. I also have grids in all my sinks to protect the bottom. They clean up beautifully and they are the best sinks I have ever had in any of my kitchens.

• Janet
    8 years ago

I've had a Whitehaus 36" apron front sink in my kitchen for the last 11 years. I have never put a grid or grate in the bottom, and it has survived heavy daily use without a single chip or scratch. I loved it, and will be looking for the same sink again for my new house!

• bfearnow
    6 years ago

I installed a Herbeau fire clay sink in 2001 when we built our house. Back then, there were not many options for farm house sinks. Seventeen years and it is still going strong with some abuse.

• Jennifer Young
    3 years ago

I just wanted to check in and see how all the fireclay sinks are holding up. I am getting ready to place an order for our new kitchen and am really leaning towards the fireclay.

• Janet
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Mine has a very tiny hairline semi-circle crack in it now. I suspect faulty installation with some sort of torsional stress... the crack is expanding and now about 6" long but not leaking yet. I've put in fireplace at two other houses that are holding up just fine. I'm putting one in a rental next week too just because I love them. Mine will eventually have to be replaced though.

• Design Girl
    2 years ago

I think I'm leaning towards the Kohler Whitehaven (cast iron) as I am afraid of the cracking.

• Duy Pham
    2 years ago

I'm checking to see if anyone has installed a fireclay farmhouse sink in last couple years and recommend a model? How is it holding up against the daily use? I'm remodeling my kitchen and am considering putting one in. From Consumer Reports' test:

In our kitchen sink tests the fireclay cracked severely when we dropped a 5-pound weight on it, similar to dropping a pot.