Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen granite/fireplace surround HELP please!

Posted by belladom (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 17:06

I have a small house with an open floor plan and the stone walkway, kitchen granite and tile and cabinets and fireplace can all be seen from several angles. I can't decide on a cast stone type of fireplace surround, or tile, or just leave it alone.
Any recommendations are very much welcome!
Here's the fireplace, center back:
PhotobucketHere's my house:
Photobucket

More you can see the busy granite:
Photobucket

Here's the walkway:
Photobucket

Here are 2 cast stone type mantles that can come in white, travertine or limestone:
Bordeaux:
Photobucket
The Clarissa:
Photobucket
And, an example of a stone firelace:
Photobucket
Thanks very much!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen granite/fireplace surround HELP please!

I think the bordeaux would look great with all your elements.

o

I like the Bordeaux too.

o

Wow... thanks for answering... I like the Bordeaux too. I forgot to mention it sticks out 10" at the top and tapers to about 4" at the bottom... Do you think I have room for 10" depth in my 12' x12' room that opens out but is still small????

o

I can't tell from the pictures how much of the black fireplace front is something that can be covered and how much is opening or vents. The windows are pretty close on either side - how much room do you have for the surround? It seems like one might overlap the windows - if the legs fit, there still is where something like where the Bordeaux flares out wider for the mantle.

We did a very simple surround by facing it with remnants from our kitchen quartzite. We felt that the stone at the side had to cover at least 6" to not look too skimpy with the fireplace front. I think we ended up making it around 8".

Photobucket

o

Actually the bordeaux legs don't flare out more than the mantle and it would fit; these 2 are the only ones that fit from the company though it would be tight as the windows are close. I would like to do the kitchen leftover granite but the granite is too busy for me to live with so I'm looking for something more simple. And this is taking me way too long. The outside of the house is also a contemporary Craftsman type with a lot of straight lines so I'm wondering if that matters. But the kitchen cabinets have some curves. Help1!

o

Bordeaux is my vote too.(even though usually I would prefer stone)

o

I like the concrete one too. Could you pull in your granite for the floor piece that is typically done with brick?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here