Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mirrored kitchen backsplashes

Posted by nosoccermom (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 16:59

Didn't want to highjack the other thread, but here are some more examples.

With the mirror door fridge

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mirrored kitchen backsplashes

I considered a gorgeous mosiac that had little mirrors in it. Loved it but it was pricey at $47.75 a Sq Ft.

o

A mirrored fridge might help with weight control!

With the rest of it - seems like all of those mirrors would be a real pain to keep clean.

o

I didn't see the other discussion, but aside from the maintenance issue it creates a very cluttered looking environment, imo. Kind of jumbled looking. I think all the reflections create dissonance, as they interrupt the natural visual flow of things.

o

Unless the counter is clutter free the mirrors make the counters look they are are covered in junk. I like the BS tile with the mirrors. That would be as far as I could go with mirrors in the kitchen.

o

We had a mirrored backsplash in our pre-remodel kitchen, put in circa 1986, torn out circa 2006. We loved it, but wouldn't do it again (frying latkes on the back burner cracked the mirror).

o

I was thinking the mirrored mosiac would of looked nice on a fireplace or bathroom. The designers said they had done it also in kitchens for the whole backsplash and that was gorgeous. I considered it for a while. :)

I really like the second picture nosoccermom posted. If I was not the one who had to clean, it's kind of pretty.

o

I saw one in a condo that a friend rented and it was overwhelming.

o

I had it in one of my NYC apartments. The counters were typically bare (single in NYC) and so it actually looked really nice!

In a working kitchen, it's a little iffy. If you need to leave things on the counter, are they all things you'd like to see twice.

o

The most effective use I saw was in a galley that had the sink and cooktop run facing an open peninsula, and the end of that room was a wall of glass in a high rise. The fridge, microwave and countertop appliances were on a separate counter through a doorway, but really adjacent.

Other than the faucet, it really reflected the windows opposite from most viewpoints. Nothing was left on that counter.

The worst was a U-shaped, very small kitchen (about 7x6) that also had a chase in one corner so there were actually 5 planes of mirror and the two opposite were not quite parallel. It was disconcerting. (especially combined with all open storage on the upper. Visual chaos.

I find the last picture pretty serene. I find the first picture sort of unpleasant. The multi mirrored one is going for a different effect altogether, and sometimes that can work, sometimes not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here