Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Mirrored kitchen backsplashes

nosoccermom
10 years ago

Didn't want to highjack the other thread, but here are some more examples.

With the mirror door fridge

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• xc60
    10 years ago

I considered a gorgeous mosiac that had little mirrors in it. Loved it but it was pricey at $47.75 a Sq Ft.

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

A mirrored fridge might help with weight control!

With the rest of it - seems like all of those mirrors would be a real pain to keep clean.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I didn't see the other discussion, but aside from the maintenance issue it creates a very cluttered looking environment, imo. Kind of jumbled looking. I think all the reflections create dissonance, as they interrupt the natural visual flow of things.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Unless the counter is clutter free the mirrors make the counters look they are are covered in junk. I like the BS tile with the mirrors. That would be as far as I could go with mirrors in the kitchen.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

We had a mirrored backsplash in our pre-remodel kitchen, put in circa 1986, torn out circa 2006. We loved it, but wouldn't do it again (frying latkes on the back burner cracked the mirror).

• xc60
    10 years ago

I was thinking the mirrored mosiac would of looked nice on a fireplace or bathroom. The designers said they had done it also in kitchens for the whole backsplash and that was gorgeous. I considered it for a while. :)

I really like the second picture nosoccermom posted. If I was not the one who had to clean, it's kind of pretty.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I saw one in a condo that a friend rented and it was overwhelming.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I had it in one of my NYC apartments. The counters were typically bare (single in NYC) and so it actually looked really nice!

In a working kitchen, it's a little iffy. If you need to leave things on the counter, are they all things you'd like to see twice.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

The most effective use I saw was in a galley that had the sink and cooktop run facing an open peninsula, and the end of that room was a wall of glass in a high rise. The fridge, microwave and countertop appliances were on a separate counter through a doorway, but really adjacent.

Other than the faucet, it really reflected the windows opposite from most viewpoints. Nothing was left on that counter.

The worst was a U-shaped, very small kitchen (about 7x6) that also had a chase in one corner so there were actually 5 planes of mirror and the two opposite were not quite parallel. It was disconcerting. (especially combined with all open storage on the upper. Visual chaos.

I find the last picture pretty serene. I find the first picture sort of unpleasant. The multi mirrored one is going for a different effect altogether, and sometimes that can work, sometimes not.