Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redheadeddaughter

Vote on my counters: Soapstone or Marble?

Hello kitchen forum! I am designing around a cream colored 48" range and F & B pale powder colored cabinets. The light fixtures are already purchased but I could paint them if needed. The floors will be white oak planks and likely the island will have butcher block. The range is already purchased and we were able to get a great deal on the cream color (original choice was black). The house will be a very informal rural farmhouse. Anyway... on to my dilemma:

I love marble and I love soapstone. Which one would you use on the perimeter of a kitchen with these colors gong on? I understand the drawbacks of both and am embracing all that lovely patina (at least in my mind :)). So apart from the etching, staining, etc. - which would you pick? I would very much love to hear your opinions!

Comments (30)

• eam44
    9 years ago

I love them both, but I would absolutely choose soapstone. Why? Most types are beautiful oiled or not, and I'm a scientist. I "grew up" with soapstone in the lab. It's essentially indestructible as long as you don't choose the softer varieties. I also like the contrast with your light color scheme.

If you do choose marble, made sure you pick one that harmonizes with the warm colors you've chosen. Nothing too gray - think Calacatta gold, not Carrara.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I'm partial to marble myself, but agree with EAM44 that you would have to be very careful trying to pick the right marble colorwise. Contrasting soapstone should be an easier selection.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Soapstone..I think it will play nicely with all your other already made choices!

• rpets
    9 years ago

Soapstone! That will be one amazing kitchen!!!!

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Wow- can't wait for your kitchen reveal!!!!!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Definitely soapstone! Great selections and can't wait to see your reveal.

I agree with EAM44, if you go marble, pick one with the warmer tones like Calacatta Gold or go with a Taj Mahal quartzite.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Calacatta would be fabulous with your choices. However: rural? Informal? No way. So, soapstone.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Another vote for soapstone. Trying to find a marble that won't clash with everything else would be tricky but the soapstone will be just gorgeous!

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

For your kitchen, I'd say soapstone.
    However - Watch the variety you pick; gray/black, greenish, bluish, gray with caramel veins...
    I KNEW I would do soapstone in my new kitchen until I tried to find a local source and fabricator. I could not find a hard variety from anyone closer than two hours away.
    Once the cabinets were installed and the walls painted, it was clear a dark countertop was the wrong choice.
    I'm doing a quartzite. If I hate it and its trashed in a few years I can replace it for less than I would have paid for soapstone.
    Sometimes you have to see the kitchen almost finished for it to tell you what countertop it wants...Well or throw it out to the GWers again...

• my_four_sons
    9 years ago

Definitely soapstome. I think you need contrast to set off all of those lovely creamy tones. Also, it will echo the lighting and hardware which otherwise might be jarring.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

For a look, soapstone is the obvious choice. Personally, having lived with dark counters for nearly three years, I wouldn't go dark again. I don't really think that carrara clashes, but I have no design credentials. :)

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! Great responses and tips, thank you. Soapstone it is then! I'd like to keep it unoiled, so I will try and find a more greyish hard stone. ;)

Has anyone done those sculpted drainage lines going into the sink with soapstone?

• eam44
    9 years ago

Runnels. Yep - we even have folks who have DIYed them. Do a google search for "gardenweb soapstone runnels" and you'll get a bunch of results, including this one with AngieDIY's step by step how-to. Such a good thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapstone

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

I love your pin board! I have no design credentials either.
    I think either one would be good, but I like soapstone for the contrast, and also, it's just an easier choice because you can pair any white cabinet to it; whereas with marble, you have to be careful about your whites.

Anyway, it looks like you've already come to a decision, so great!

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I'll pile in, too. Soapstone. It will be lovely.

I really like the idea of oiling them. I like the contrast.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Both. I love 'em both. Soapstone and Calacatta. Have you looked at Pale Powder in your space? Or is it too early to be able to do that? The reason I ask is that I have it in Estate Emulsion on the ceiling of my laundry room. It reads as a pale gray, not at all aqua. Just curious.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

OOh, I am going to like this kitchen!

PS I echo KD's opinion on Pale Powder. Have your tried it? It was a color we tested once.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Another vote for soapstone. With full disclosure, I'm a soapie, but I do think it would look great! Chris

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I don't know if either would be my choice for you. Between the two...marble.

But if I could pick anything, probably a light granite or quartz that looks like marble. Something beautiful, fairly indestructible and relatively care-free. Maybe do a little more research and find something you love that will be cheerful and old-world, at the same time.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

"Something beautiful, fairly indestructible and relatively care-free"
    ... I think you just described soapstone perfectly! :)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I just stopped by to look at a new marble installation which the homeowners are sick with. Scratches, divots, whatever. I can fix it for less than a grand. They're still moving in.

• wags848
    9 years ago

Another vote for soapstone. I think it would be lovely!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Edited because I'm fighting with my computer!!!

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 8:27

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

You've probably already seen this kitchen, but, just in case you haven't, I 'll link it here. It was in House Beautiful. Farrow and Ball Teresa's Green and soapstone. I understand that you are trying for a paler color, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: There is a bit of a cream color on the walls

• marcolo
    9 years ago

You didn't say unoiled. I switch my vote.

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kitchen detective - that kitchen is so helpful for inspiration. I have seen it before, but not since deciding on a colored cabinet and the soapstone. I may have to get a sample of Teresa's Green - I'm really liking that color. And I need a place to put Arsenic Green. Anyway... thank you for posting that link.

marcolo - why do you prefer the oiled? Is it the contrast? I figure I can always oil it :)

LL - I am so glad you are still on these boards. I was all settled on soapstone. Your taste is pretty flawless though. You stinker! Are you thinking we need a creamier lighter countertop in here? It's mostly east facing, so I am worried about it getting dark in the afternoon.

Does anyone have any recommendations for pantry shelving colors? I was thinking something pretty rather than matching the wall color. The wall color throughout the house will be dove wing with simply white trim. I think. In the kitchen i might need something warmer on the trim?

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Red- Can you post your kitchen plan? It would be helpful to see where the range is, the windows, etc. I don't think the marble (or marblesque) tops are going to work with the range...as mentioned earlier. But I'm not sold on all dark countertops.

You said the island might be wood top...if I remember correctly, it's pretty big. Let's see the plan and maybe a combination of surfaces would be the way to go. Perhaps soapstone on each side of the range (depending on layout) with marble-type, lighter counter around the sink...under the windows.

I'd love to see marble and wood on the island, if that's where you'll be baking. But only if you're really okay with PATINA. With marble, I don't think you can say patina (in a soft voice) if you know what I mean :)

How's the build going? I miss seeing all your posts on the Building forum!

Oh...pantry shelves. What color are you using in the kitchen? It might be fun to do something a bit crazy on the shelves of back of the pantry. Like red, if you're using red accents in the kitchen...or blue. Something that pops, but is easy to change down the road, if you change your mind.

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 14:42

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LL - Here is the best photo I have of it... my computer crashed last week! :) It will have no uppers to begin with though, but the layout is still the same. Just very simple inset lowers. The island is rather large though and my husband wants it that size - but I'm pulling for a table style with feet. :) We'll see. Pantry shelving will be very basic pine (but strong) and I will be painting myself. The main walls will be white, the flooring pale(ish) white oak, and accent colors jadite, delphite blue and a little pink and red thrown in. Any ideas you have would be wonderful!

• Elle N
    3 years ago

@redheadeddaughter

Hi, in a similar pickle and watned to see how your kitchen turned out! how do you like the soapstone?

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012