Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limestone backsplash should I?

Posted by cmm1 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 16:52

Still trying to decide on a backsplash. Really liked a tumbled mystic green limestone at tile store. It will be not be around the cooktop as it is on a separate island. I don't know anything about the durability of this stone. It will be sealed.

Has anyone used this or have information ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limestone backsplash should I?

You should get what makes you happy. In choosing try to picture it with your other choices to make sure they all work together. When I read that you're considering a limestone BS, I immediately thought of a
very traditional kitchen.

o

I wouldn't use it for countertop (porous and soft), but since it's vertical where it doesn't get wear, and especially since it's not in the major staining area behind the stove, I think it could be a decent option. You should be able to seal it to protect from water and other splashes for occasional cleaning.

o

I think it would be fine for a backsplash. I have honed limestone floor tiles in my master bath, and rustic French limestone floor tile in my kitchen. Both have been sealed with a good sealer and I don't have any issues with stains as of yet.

My kitchen counter tops are carrara marble (similar to limestone) and I don't have any staining on them either, and just a little etching here and there but it is not really noticeable.

I have seen limestone in magazines for counters and I think it would be fine there too, as long as you are okay with patina.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here