Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

kitchen sink size, please help

abekker
9 years ago

What is the best size for a single undermount stainless steel kitchen sink? Is it better doing a large single? Thanks.

Comments (15)

• vwhippiechick
    9 years ago

We have a Ticor single bowl stainless sink. The opening is 16x29 and 10' deep. It has a grid in the bottom. We have had the sink for about 6 years and it is very functional. It was a good choice for us.

• Huntingflower
    9 years ago

I just had mine installed Went from a double sink to a single 18"x18"x10". I would never go back to a double sink. I wouldn't mind having a wider one than I currently have, but size restrictions this was as big as I could go and I love it. 10" is amazing and so glad we ordered it.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

I have a Ticor double-bowl, 70/30 (or 60/40 - need to do the math) and we love it! It's in a 36" sink base. IMHO, if you want a double-bowl sink, I recommend at least a 36" sink base and different sized bowls.

Our large bowl is 21.5" wide and our small bowl is 10.5" wide (hmmm, that would make it a 70/30 sink then). The large bowl is big enough for the big items, the small bowl is small enough to soak things in w/o wasting water but big enough to fill an 8 qt stock pot or clean veggies.

If you don't have a separate prep sink and will have more than one person working in the kitchen (also prepping/cooking or cleaning up), I recommend a double-bowl sink for a better division of the sink space (and to have at least one clean/empty bowl to work in) - unless space is an issue. If you can't have at least a 33" sink base (preferably 36"), then I think a single-bowl is the way to go regardless of the presence of a prep sink.

If you have a prep sink elsewhere, then probably a large single bowl would be more useful - but you will probably need a dish bin or an insert for smaller jobs so you don't waste water (which also means storing the bin or insert somewhere when not in use).

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I have a 36" single bowl undermount stainless sink, 10" deep. I have the grid in the bottom and I love this sink! We do not have a prep sink but if we did I still would not want a divided bowl. I have told my husband that the only people who have double sinks are the ones who have never tried a large single bowl! Joking of course but I have had a single bowl for 15 years now and will never go back to any kind of divided sink. I say get the biggest size single bowl you can fit in your kitchen...you won't regret it.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Blanco SS super single here. Love it. Always hated double sinks and have no use for them.

There are lots of past threads on the forum about single vs double and sink size. Just google.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 8:16

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The reason I ask is because I am trying to plan out my kitchen cabinets and some designers have put in a 33 sink cabinet others 36. Should I get a 36 sink cabinet just in case I go with a 32" or 33" sink? It shouldn't look too bad if the sink is a little smaller than the cabinet itself, right?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The larger the better, IMO. What I'd stress is, do not go any deeper than 9 inches, or you'll break your back washing dishes. I'd stick to 8 or 9 inches. Any less depth, and water splashes outside the sink.

And, try to find one that has curved corners! The new thing is this angular, 90-dgree corner thing. It's a terrible design for a kitchen sink because it makes cleaning it very difficult.

I just replaces a ss double for a huge ss single, and it is the happiest change I've made in my house.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Tibbrix...just wanted to comment that our new sink is the angular, 90-degree corner thing...I have absolutely no problem keeping it clean. The sprayer function of the faucet works great to sweep any food particles out of the corner and down the drain and the edge of my kitchen sponge goes right into the corner or the dish cloth gets in there just as good...it's really not a big deal at all, no different than cleaning my old rounded corner sink.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

A "standard" sink base is 36", and there are a lot of sinks that will fit.

You can go either way - choose a sink you love, and design your cabinetry around it (if you have enough space for that luxury), or choose the sink cab that best fits your space, and choose a sink that fits the cabinet.

In my case, I really, really wanted to maximize the limited space on my sink wall, so I went with a 30" cab, and found the perfect 60/40 double sink to fit the space. I bought the sink before the cabinets were built, so the cabinet maker could be sure that the sink would fit (and could have adjusted slightly if necessary). My large bowl isn't as big as Buehl's, but after a year of use, it's definitely as big as I need. And I love the smaller side.

I have a DW, and there are just a few things that I wash by hand (mostly crystal wine glasses and cast iron pans).

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

If you are able to fit in either a 33" or 36" sink base, then get the 36". I am totally a single-bowl person, but if I had to get a double-bowl sink, I'd only get one that would fit a 36" cabinet, so that both bowls could be big enough to be useful as Buehl's pics above illustrate.

BTW, the Ticor sinks are no longer available but there are many other stainless steel sink brands. I would really encourage you to think outside of the stainless steel box, and think about other materials like Silgranite sinks which won't scratch or show water marks. You could think even more out of the box by thinking about an apron front sink like the Kohler Whitehaven.

I am only making these suggestions because some people go for choices in their kitchens without realizing there are alternatives. Then they see kitchens on this forum and sigh, but it's too late.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

It will not look bad if the sink is smaller than the cabinet-- but if you don't think you will want or need a 33"+ sink, then don't get the 36" base.

You have to take into account how much overall cabinet space and space in the kitchen/counter space you will have (and your budget) when deciding how large a sink base to get, and decide which is more important to you -- a larger sink, with a larger base (what do you want to put under the sink?) or more lower cabinet space devoted to drawers etc.

I have a small kitchen and didn't want to waste inches with a larger sink base that I could put into base drawers, yet I wanted a larger sink than the one I had. So I got a 30" base and a Blanco Stellar super single -- which met my 2 top criteria. I would have loved a silgranite type sink but none would be quite as large in the 30" base. I love this Stellar sink size and really don't know why I would need anything larger.

Of course if you have a roomy kitchen where size of the base is no concern, then choose a sink that suits you and get the base that it will fit in. If you have a dishwasher, and you are not washing a whole family's dishes by hand after meals, there really are limited reasons IMO to get the old fashioned equal double sink. The 70/30 split seems practical and I could see liking that.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

To my knowledge, Ticor sinks are available again.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

Thanks Sjhockeyfan! I didn't realize the Ticor sinks were back.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. I will have plenty of kitchen cabinets, I am afraid mor than I need, so maybe 33'' or 36'' is a way to go. Probably 36'' is a safe choice than I can really choose any sink and won't have a problem fitting it in.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. I will have plenty of kitchen cabinets, I am afraid mor than I need, so maybe 33'' or 36'' is a way to go. Probably 36'' is a safe choice than I can really choose any sink and won't have a problem fitting it in.