Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

WWYD and why: 36 & 12, 2-24's or 18 & 30" stacks

autumn.4
10 years ago

Hi all. My kitchen layout is just about finalized. I decided to remove the drawers that made a dead corner and opt in on the super susan again(back and forth on that one). When I think of storage I feel the susan would be a great place for my baking staples - flour, sugars, oils, potatoes, and small electrics. Very easy to see what's in the tupperware container by spinning and voila vs. a drawer where I see nothing without lifting due to opaque lids.

Anyhow in doing so it has changed my drawer stack on the right side of the range. Here is a drawing before the change. What the KD recommended was a 36" drawer stack and then a 12" cupboard for tray storage. I have 48" on the right to play with. I was planning on putting trays above the fridge.

With the design including the susan - I will have:

2 - 36" drawer stacks
2 - 33" drawer stacks (one is around the corner, other side of the susan before the fridge)
1 - 18" 4 drawer stack - in the island
1 - 12" door

The left side of the range are for dishes and pots and pans - I think plenty of room. I have a nice sized pantry for tall pots, crock pots and the like. KD suggests top drawer of the 33" on the left for silverware, 36" top drawer on the left for utensils. That's fine - but the 36" on the right? What am I going to put there? It seems whatever will be floating around in there and I do NOT want a 36" junk drawer no way no how.

So on the right side of the range I am wondering if instead of a 36" stack and a 12" door for trays I should opt for a different configuration? I will have my baking dishes on that side of the range which would easily fit in a 24". I am wondering if 1 36" stack to the left would be plenty and organization wise if having a different configuration with the 48" available would be better.

I have read the countless and very informative threads on drawer stacks. I know I want them. I'm just wondering about variety of sizes and if bigger is always better. I am moving on from having just 1 single 18" 4 drawer stack so it is hard to imagine.

Any thoughts? WWYD? 36" seems really huge to me. I know I'd lose the symmetry of 36" on either side of the stove but an island will be there so will I really notice? I think having a couple moderately sized (24-30) would be nice for some utensils - spices.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the drawing (again WITH the susan the right side would be 36" and then 12" DOOR not drawer):

Comments (18)

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

I have lots of spices so 36" would be great for me for that. I also put towels in the top drawer. Rolling pins, cake decorating supplies, cupcake cups, etc.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Put dividers in the 36" top drawer to better organize your utensils. You could also designate a space for sharp knives with a drawer sized knife block. Besides towels, how about a spot for placemats?

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I'd go with two 24 inch stacks, one with 4 drawers and one with 3. The 3 stack could hold the baking stuff as you mentioned. The 4 stack would be great for spices (could use 2 drawers if needed), pot holders, small cooking gadgets, prep bowels, etc. I'm actually very surprised that I wish I had room for a few more shallow drawers, the ones I do have spoil me by having everything in view!

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the delay in response.

No one has commented on loss of symmetry so I take it that really is a non-issue?

I definitely do not have 36" worth of spices, lol! Maybe I need to expand my cooking horizons...

I am thinking no one would plan a 12" into their design and it's more just a happenstance.

Williamsem-I have never had a 3 drawer and they do look deep to me. My cabs are not custom. The 3 drawer config is 4, 8.5, 8.5 and the 4 drawer is 4, 4, 4, 6.75. I think the 6.75 looks like a very useful drawer and 8.5 seems deep...

Any other opinions?

• illinigirl
    10 years ago

parchment, foil, wax paper?

I'm not sure about function but I sure love the look of those wide drawer stacks!

I'm doing 10" on each side of the range (as of now, I need to fully evaluate my overall tray storage needs). I think one of them will be a pullout for cookie sheets and the other will open normally (non pullout) and have a shelf so I can fit cutting boards standing on their thin edges but on their sides.

btw I love the hutch you have on the left side. So helpful for the kids to be able to reach some everyday dishes. My 12 yr old (shortie) still has trouble reaching up to the second shelf in normal height cabinets. Great idea!

• deedles
    10 years ago

Okay, JEALOUS. I want to wonder what to put in a big bonus drawer!

The tray thing might be darn handy and easily accessible for stuff on edge, like... uh, trays and such. Williamsem's idea for a 3 and 4 drawer stack is a good one, too, but then you'll have the different drawer heights next to each other and since you mention symmetry a couple times maybe that would bother you?
    I'd probably go for the tray thing and the 36" both for the symmetry and just the big drawers. Remember, nature abhors a vacuum and I'll bet you find all kinds of things for that drawer.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I would not want to lose the symmetry on those bottom stacks. They look great and I think you will find them very functional for storage. Also, your windows are positioned symmetrically above those drawer stacks.
    Kksmama has some nice wide drawer stacks with great storage Ideas. Besides cookie sheets & cutting boards, you can put platters in the 12" lower cabinet. I have a tray storage cabinet above two ovens and another one in a 10" lower cabinet. I'll put the heavier stuff (platters, wood cutting board) in the lower one. I had my heavy wood cutting board in the upper one & moved it to the lower area.

This post was edited by romy718 on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 16:28

• sherri1058
    10 years ago

You can always buy the drawer divider inserts to divide the space if you choose. I like that my utensils have lots of breathing space in the drawers - makes them easier to find. What about foil, plastic wrap, tin foil, ziplock bags, etc?

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

illini - thanks, I am very excited about the dish hutch. It's directly across from the DW and I think it will work out great for that, setting the table, and it should keep everyone out of my cooking zone, etc..

deedles - I know I know, a crazy 'problem' to ponder! I am feeling like I have way too much space and will have empty drawers. But surely once we get in there they will fill up. I will have much more space than I have ever had. My one 4 drawer is on the island so not next to any other drawer stack and yes I think it might bug me if they were right next to each other.

romy-thanks. I do like the look of it too. But I keep thinking what about the function. I will check kksmama's drawers (lol) - thanks for the tip.

I think I have forgotten about other things I had stashed away in the basement because it didn't fit, cookie cutters, less used baking items and holiday stuff. That will all fit now. :)

sherri-I think I might look at aftermarket dividers, that's a great idea. Foils, wraps and baggies I was planning for the 4 drawer stack - but they could go in my other 33" by the fridge too.

So if I keep 36/12, it sounds like most of you would keep it a door (like mpagmom) and not a pull out? I'm not even sure they have any new fangled thing on a 12" pull out. They aren't cutting edge on drawer inserts, etc..

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I have a 9" door next to the sink for cookie sheets and cutting boards - it's perfect.

I keep my canisters of baking stuff in a drawer - I just put labels on the top.

I have a 34" drawer stack next to the range, but the top is split into two (less than 17" each, of course). One side has potholders, the other is a nice sized junk drawer (with dividers, so it isn't junky).

I also have a knife drawer that I love!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I'm not even sure they have any new fangled thing on a 12" pull out. They aren't cutting edge on drawer inserts, etc..

who is "they"? There are loads of after-market options for 12" cabinets:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pullouts for base cabinets

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

annkh- I love the look of 2 smaller drawers over the wider lower drawers but these are semi-custom and that is not an option. If you have success with a 9 then 12 should be useful.

sjhockey-that dreaded "they"! I should have been more clear, I was referring to the cabinet mfg (Shiloh). KD said they don't really do much of that and I'd have to do aftermarket for sure! Thanks for the link, I will check it out. I am thinking if I wanted a 12 pull out I think it may be handy for oils, vinegars and that stuff, so it would have be be tall storage - not spice.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I had a 9" pull-out for condiments, oils, vinegars, etc. in my previous kitchen, right next to the cooktop, and I liked it so much, I'm replicating it in a slightly larger size in my new kitchen. (I also had a 6" tray cabinet, which was great, although not quite wide enough)

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sjhockey- so is the tall pullout a standard? Seems like spice is all I have seen (from cab mfrs). The aftermarket was over 200-ouch! But it does look very useful!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I know the after-market is very $$$, but I factored it into my entire renovation budget (and we're still well within budget, so I "did good").

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, You are smart! I factored in all drawers but underestimated how much stuff like this costs!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Not so smart - just experienced - we remodeled the kitchen in our previous home just 7 years ago!

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, the dreaded hindsight! I am already bumping up into that. Moving forward with 'it is what it is' for now! Thank you for the website and for your input. :) P.S. - I also underestimated counter tops, UGH! Why is it we never overestimate?!