Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwtamara

Editing Posts

gwtamara
11 years ago

Hi everyone,
We've been working on adding an 'edit post' feature and hope to have it fully functional this week. We are rolling it out to a select few forums (including this one) for testing and would appreciate your feedback.

To edit, once you have loaded the page where your post is located, look to the right and you'll see an edit link just under the Clippings area. This will open up the post and you'll be able to make your changes. It will be very similar to making changes in the Preview window when you make an original post.

You will not be able to edit your Subject line.

You will only be able to edit messages that you've posted today and beyond. Messages that you've posted before last Friday will not be accessible with the edit post feature. Also, once you have posted a new message, there is no time limit to make your edits.

If you experience any problems, please be specific as to what you are seeing and - very importantly - what type of computer and browser (and version) you are using. Please post issues/feedback to this thread.

Any questions, let me know!

Best regards,

Tamara

This post was edited by gwTamara on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 23:03

Comments (19)

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

thx!

• coco4444
    11 years ago

Getting the following error notation when attempting to edit: (using Windows IE)

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root@astrology.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I will make an inane, vacuous comment that will later blossom into brilliance. If it hasn't, editing didn't work.

Oh well.

This was on a Mac with Firefox.

This post was edited by marcolo on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 13:55

• gwtamara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Co-Co,

I edited using IE 8.0 without an error message. However, for those using IE, there is an issue with html tags showing up in the preview window.

What browser and version are you using?

• lalithar
    11 years ago

I edited this using iPad with iOS6. Worked beautifully. Ow how about a spell checker :)

Editing twice on the same post works

This post was edited by lalitha on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 2:50

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I was successful using iPhone and Mac with mountain lion! Thanks!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Testing the edit feature.

Using Firefox on Linux, it appears to work.

This post was edited by lazygardens on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 9:39

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Original comment. Snow Leopard.

Edited: Rejected...need to change subject line.

This post was edited by linelle on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 9:53

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I wonder if editing your post will make the thread go back to the top of the list or not?

Evidently not! I just edited, and the post is still in its position as dictated by the post after this one.

This post was edited by Angie_DIY on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 15:47

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    11 years ago

I successfully edited a post (obviously in a different thread) which contained both a pic and a url. Everything come through just fine, yippee!

What might not be so useful in the up-to-date-world is that I'm on Win XP SP3 with IE 8 on the 'old faithful' laptop until I find the right hybrid tablet/laptop.

cheers,
    mtnfever-trying-to-join-up-to-date-world

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

mtnfever - you are not alone...I am on windows 7 but no plans in the near future to update to the a tablet here.....

EDIT: in fact I'm on my DESKtop computer right now. Slow as molasses compared to the laptop but still works. Firefox is the browser in case that matters to GW.

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 17:23

• coco4444
    11 years ago

I'm on Windows 7, IE9 with the error message posted above.
    Will try to edit with another browser.

okay, adding this with Firefox. Looks much different than when I tried editing with IE9 (ie: looks totally normal here, tons of html codes in IE9). What is solution (delete all the codes?)

This post was edited by Co-Co on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 18:48

• Buehl
    11 years ago

There appears to be a defect...

We cannot edit posts on the thread linked below.The Subject is truncated and the message is rejected.Only the Preview button appears.

I think it's the quotes in the subject - the subject is truncated after the "7". I was able to successfully edit on a different thread just now.

Browser:Firefox 17.0
    Windows PC (Dell)
    OS:Windows 7 Home Premium (v6.1, Build 7601, Service Pack 1)

Editing Post:

Two defects!Note that the thread's subject was also cut off in the link.

Three defects...I cannot edit a post too soon after I edited it a previous time. The message is rejected and since I cannot change the subject when editing a post, I cannot use the workaround of changing the subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: Subject of thread:27

This post was edited by buehl on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 23:20

• gwtamara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just tried to edit from that post and encountered the same issue. I've notified tech and I suspect it's the quotes in the subject line as well.

Stay tuned!

• enduring
    11 years ago

You rock buehl, you're a real detective!

• gwtamara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Should be working now. It wasn't the quotation marks, but there was an issue in the subject line.

Give it another try and let me know if you run into any further issues.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

On other boards that allow edits, there's often an unwritten rule of etiquette for the poster to explain the edits, usually at the bottom, e.g.,

Edited: to fix typos

Edited: to clarify upper cabinet height

etc.

It can be very helpful to those following a thread and wondering what changed in a post they already read in unedited form.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Great idea linelle. Do you just use the etiquette without prompting or is one prompted to post the reason?

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Enduring, I've never seen a prompt to explain the reason for editing a post. I picked it up after seeing others do it. It's just a courtesy.