Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Finished for now - lots of photos

Posted by prospect711 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 16:40

Our little natural cherry and soapstone kitchen posed for some not-quite-formal photos today.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cabinets: custom natural cherry Amish made
Counters: Beleza soapstone
Backsplash: Slate corinth from The Tile Shop
Floor: existing vinyl from Lowes
UCL: LED strips installed by DH
Bar stools: Trica Swirl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Finished for now - lots of photos

Fantastic! So many beautiful touches. That sink is really wonderful. Congratulations!

o

Great job! The slate backsplash is spectacular. Congrats!

o

The cabinets are a warm cherry and look great with the hardware chosen. I love the glass door in the corner and your large pull out drawers as well as many organizational items inside the cabinets. Congratulations on a finished kitchen since I am still working on mine and never knew there was so many decisions to make.

o

Wow, you did an amazing job. Hope you enjoy your new kitchen.

o

I love it! I love the SS, and the sink , and the runnels, and the storage, and that BS.

Beautiful!

o

Great color combination with the cabinets and soapstone! I think you will love this for decades to come, it looks timeless and warm and so, SO functional.

Great job! (I even like the vinyl, I love a soft floor anywhere I'll be standing for a long time ... like a kitchen).

-Pam

o

Gorgeous.
The backsplash is absolutely PERFECT with the soapstone and the cabs. You must smile every time you enter the kitchen. And I bet you stop and pet the surfaces as you work in there.
Congratulations. A great kitchen.
I look forward to seeing it when it is ''finished.''

o

Beautiful combination of materials!!!!!!!!!

o

Very nice. Love your tile with the wood. I had Amish made natural cherry cabinets installed this week. I can't wait to get my countertops , backsplash and finishing touches done. Wishing you lots of happy times in your new kitchen.

o

Wow, so much to admire here. The glass cabinets are beautiful, love the lighting fixtures, the counter and sink and the wonderful cabinet finish. The vinyl floor looks amazing too; hard to believe it's not new.

Great job! Enjoy your lovely new kitchen.

o

So pretty and warm....it looks like a happy kitchen you will love spending time in! Love that sink!

o

I too love how the colors all go together. Would you call this a "rustic contemporary" kitchen??

I think now you have to get a blue merle Sheltie to match the counters and backsplash like your current Sheltie matches the cabs and floor :)

Your lights look like a good compromise of a clear glass fixture but it's not blinding due to the special bulbs. very cool.

cheers

o

Your kitchen is very photogenic, it posed so well! I love the soapstone counters and matching sink. The cabinetry is unmistakably well crafted, with the perfect combination of glass doors married with the fully wood grained cupboards; along with the fixtures, just the right amount of reflective shine with your textured backsplash. I like that you have the pot and pan drawers flanking the range, nice convenience for the cook(s) in this kitchen...

o

I love your pendents with your range hood. It is such a great combo.

And I like your short backsplash of soapstone! I think the short rise of soapstone around your kitchen makes it look like a more user friendly counter. I think its just a visual for me 'cause I'm sure all the counters in the world that don't have the short rise are just as durable.

o

Beautiful!

o

Looks great - especially love the sink - congrats to you!

o

Mntn fever: I'm not sure exactly what style I would call it. The original vision was definitely contemporary, with a green-gray glass tile backsplash. After the cabinets were installed, we had second thoughts. And our designer came up with the slate corinth, which I think is perfect. The slate is rustic but there is a lot of stainless steel. Not sure what to call it.

Enduring, I know the short backsplash isn't often done anymore. At the time we had it put in, the slate was not in the picture and I don't think the short backsplash would have worked with the modern glass tiles that were our original plan. At the time the counters went in, though, the backsplash was up in the air and we were thinking about just painting the area gray like the rest of the walls.

o

Love the slate with the soapstone! I also love the suspended vent and pendants.

Beautiful! Congrats!

o

Beautiful kitchen. Especially love the backsplash. Everything came together and flows.

o

Ah, natural cherry and soapstone, my favorite combination! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I love that backsplash with the soapstone, it's beautiful!
Congratulations.

Cj

o

Beautiful kitchen! Can you tell us more about the
light fixtures? Did you order them online?

You did a great job with everything!

o

great job- love the combinations! The slate and soapstone looks great - are you keeping the soapstone unoiled? Is it tough to keep it looking nice unoiled?

o

Very nice!

o

Congrats. I love everything about your beautiful kitchen. The cabinetry is warm and pretty and super convenient. I love the hidden-ness of the tv. I love the sink. I love where everything is. I love the spaciousness and the workflow--and I am sure that you are loving your gorgeous room.

Btw, is your cabmaker in Indiana? Thks.

o

I really love it! The cabinets are gorgeous, the backsplash is perfect, and I love the wall color. Oh, and the soapstone is amazing!!!

o

I would love it if you can post pictures when the kitchen cabinets darken a little bit to see how much darker they will become. I love Cherry cabinets any color they become. I wanted Cherry floors but they would be too soft with the traffic I get so I went with Brazilian Cherry floors.

Again, you did a really nice job renovating your kitchen making it warm and pretty and I am sure you are enjoying it especially with the hidden TV.

o

Beautiful! What a warm and elegant look!

o

LOVE the soapstone and backsplash !!!

o

I love the soapstone and counters, but the bs is what takes it over the top ;)

o

Prospect, this is just beautiful; my sense of the ideal kitchen. Your backsplash is fantastic. Can you tell us about the sink? It looks soapstone too. What are the dimensions? Where did you get it? Could we have a picture of it please?

My kitchen has similar colors and textures, I think. I've started to struggle with locating tolerable stools -- are you liking yours? They look nice; are they comfortable?

Congratulations on such a consistent, comfortable space. May you know great happiness in it to match the beauty!

o

Thanks Everyone.
The sink is custom soapstone, made by The Stone Studio in Batesville, Indiana. I'd be happy to take another photo - do you want to see the inside of the sink?
The stools are comfortable, very sturdy, and very stable (not tippy at all). We are pleased with them. We ordered them custom through the local Trica dealer. We were looking for stools suitable for larger adults.
We worked with a kitchen/interior designer - otherwise it would not have come out this well.
The cabinets were done through Select Kitchen Design (just south of the Dayton Mall). The Amish cabinet makers they work with are in Ohio.
The pendants (and the central light fixture) were ordered online. Link is below. You have to register to see it. It is the Sonneman 4802.01 Transparence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonneman

o

wow!! it is beautiful.

absolutely LOVE the slate!!! it really does put it "over the top"

cabs and counters are gorgeous!! love the paint color

everything looks wonderful...warming, inviting and functional!!

Enjoy!!!

o

Prospect711, I love your kitchen! the way all of the wood from the cabinets to the window trim tie in together is beautiful. The unique light fixtures get a thumbs up!

I'm excited seeing the quality of your Amish cabinetry! My Amish cabinetry should be installed the last week of November or the first week of December.

Enjoy your new kitchen!

o

Beautiful! The natural cherry with the soapstone--yum! And your sink has me drooling! I especially love the way your bs and wall paint colors tie it all together and give the space a warm feel with a touch of drama! You did a Great job with all your decisions. Enjoy!

o

Beautiful! Love the bs with the counters and your sink is perfect. Wonderful job.

Would you tell me what brand your stove is? Is it 30"?

o

Beautiful colors and amazing that you kept the floor and it all goes so well together. Your cabs are very nicely crafted . I love the light fixtures and that sink...wow. The back splash is such a compliment to the whole. Altogether a warm and comfortable space. c

o

I'm not sure where people are seeing a TV. We have a hidden microwave - that must be what people are seeing? There is no TV in this kitchen, although the contractor suggested putting one above the fridge.

Prill, the range is a 30" Capital Precision.

o

Prospect, your kitchen is beautiful. The backsplash is beautiful against your cabinets and ties into your counter so nicely. Your sink is really neat and I love your lighting choices. Form and function - can't beat it!

o

Is the soapstone oiled in these pictures? If not, how dark will Beleza go when oiled?

Thanks!

o

I love the hidden microwave, very clever!

o

Fantastic job. I love the warmth of your kitchen,so calming. What is the name of the paint color you used?

o

I love your kitchen - and the view out the windows. I don't normally like 'small' tiles (well, I like seeing them, wouldn't want them, too much to clean) - yours are beautiful and just perfect with your counter and cabinets!

the Amish are great with woodworking, aren't they? We had Amish build the addition on our house back in IN. super workers, super quality. and no beer cans mixed in with the filler dirt... (as was with the original part of the house not done by the Amish (it also had many quality problems)).

so glad to hear you don't have a 'hidden tv'! lol! I do miss many things tho and keep having to scroll back to the pics after reading posts!

Is the flooring sheet or tile vinyl? looks great - I like it. will take a look for it at Lowe's on my next trip there. I'm looking for some to put in my kitchen, hall and laundry room. I want it light colored so not to darken the areas. Many patterns are too busy for me, yours isn't.

ENJOY your beautiful new - functional - kitchen!

o

Paint is Sherwin Williams Unusual Gray.

The floor is sheet vinyl. I think its been discontinued at Lowe's.

The Beleza is not oiled in these pictures. It was oiled when installed, and it looked quite black to me.

o

I just have to say WOW!
All your choices look wonderful.
That floor is great and shows how vinyl can fit into a beautiful space.

o

Kitchen looks great!! Love the soapstone and your backsplash!

What kind of fridge do you have? Are those magnets on the front doors?

o

Mercymygft - the fridge is a Kitchenaid and yes those are magnets on the front. Much to my surprise - they stick.

o

A soapstone and cherry U-shape! Wow.
My favorite arrangement. :)

Everything fits efficiently into a "relatively" small footprint and yet there is obviously space to breath.

This is so cool. You really need to submit this kitchen to the Finished Kitchens Blog because it is very unique on several counts.
I can think of a number of questions that regularly come up that your kitchen answers.

For people with smaller footprints that wonder how to fit it all in and what will it look like?

Sinks not under windows. There are often questions from people asking "how high should the cabinet be above the sink"?
Your setup looks perfect.

Someone even asked not that long ago about a full range in the peninsula and several of us scrambled to try and find a photo.
It's rare, and none looked as nice as yours. Love the deep pot drawers on either side.
Proves it can be done well.

Hood over the peninsula. Yours is very stream lined and doesn't block the view the way many do.

The double glass corner cabinet is TOTALLY unique as far as I know. Never seen one like it.
Angled glass cab on peninsula end is cool too.

There wasn't room below so the MW is on a special wider shelf with a door to hide behind.
Brings it forward, doesn't it? Clever.

Well planned!

o
thanks

thanks for letting me know your cab maker is in Ohio. Mine is in Indiana. just curious. sorry, thought your micro was a tv, lol. so very nice.

o

thx for the info on the vinyl. just my usual luck that it's discontinued - lol!

o

I love how the tile (which is s t u n n i n g , by the way) and countertop harmonize. It's a really beautiful kitchen. Nice job.

o

Awesome job!
I LOVE that soapstone sink!

o

Love your use of natural materials- they look great together...You thought out each and every detail so well! Congratualtions!

o

Thanks for the link to the light fixtures.
Again, love your kitchen.

o

Biochem -I'm glad that our kitchen can give others some ideas. We certainly agonized over it for quite awhile. My husband came up with the idea for the double glass door corner cabinets, and the angled glass on the end. The sink-with-no-window was a feature from the old kitchen. We didn't move plumbing - but we did raise the upper a few inches over the sink.

Our designer was Tracy Kraft (Nest Designs LLC) in Dayton, Ohio. We couldn't have done it without her. She came up with the U-shape, the backsplash, and many other ideas as well as serving as a referee.

o

I love the soapstone! Isn't it so great to be done!!

o

I love the soapstone too! I'm in the process of picking out new countertops and I can't find one place that will recommend putting it in the kitchen. And..with 3 teenagers (who aren't careful) I would worry about it. BUT....I want it! Hmm....Anyone had it for a long time and see how it wears?

o

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful! Like everyone here... The soapstone and backsplash and the cherry cabinets are stunning. Congrats.. I hope you enjoy your lovely kitchen for years to come.

o

I can't add much to what has been said. It is gorgeous and your finishes are harmonious with each other. This is the size of kitchen many of us have been handed to remodel--and your new footprint maximizes it well, yet is still lightfilled and open. Perhaps your biggest success is that I did not immediately look at it and wonder "Why is there no window over the sink?"

Oh, and please do post more photos of the sink...it is awesome.

o

Please tell me more about your pulls. What kind are they and what size are they?

o

Prospect, I am just now getting the pleasure of seeing your beautiful kitchen.

Couple of questions if you don't mind. How are you liking your soapstone sink? I just ordered samples from MTexeria and originally thinking a Shaw's farmhouse, but I love your soapstone!
Also, your pendants, what brand are they?
Your kitchen is great, my first thought was "tricked out". LOL Don't know why that popped in my brain, but it has a lot of cool stuff. Love the way you positioned the glass cabs, very good looking.
Congrats!

o

Prospect, I am just now getting the pleasure of seeing your beautiful kitchen.

Couple of questions if you don't mind. How are you liking your soapstone sink? I just ordered samples from MTexeria and originally thinking a Shaw's farmhouse, but I love your soapstone!
Also, your pendants, what brand are they?
Your kitchen is great, my first thought was "tricked out". LOL Don't know why that popped in my brain, but it has a lot of cool stuff. Love the way you positioned the glass cabs, very good looking.
Congrats!

o

Susied,
The pendants are Sonneman. Link is below. You have to register for that site. The Beleza soapstone is pretty bulletproof. We leave it unoiled.
We love the soapstone sink. We have only broken one wine glass in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonneman Lights

o

Hi prospect711, I've just joined and am searching for all forums related to cherry cabinets. I like your cabinets. Could you let me know the brand? Thanks so much.

o

I am headed to see the Amish tomorrow and I am planning on a free standing pantry and island but I had no idea they did kitchen cabinets oh wow! I am totally feeling excited now, thanks for posting, your kitchen looks hot! I have beautiful hard wood oak cabs, I wonder what all new cabs would cost! Fabulous work!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here