Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prospect711

Kitchen Finished for now - lots of photos

prospect711
12 years ago

Our little natural cherry and soapstone kitchen posed for some not-quite-formal photos today.

Cabinets: custom natural cherry Amish made

Counters: Beleza soapstone

Backsplash: Slate corinth from The Tile Shop

Floor: existing vinyl from Lowes

UCL: LED strips installed by DH

Bar stools: Trica Swirl

Comments (65)

• elba1
    12 years ago

Looks great - especially love the sink - congrats to you!

• prospect711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mntn fever: I'm not sure exactly what style I would call it. The original vision was definitely contemporary, with a green-gray glass tile backsplash. After the cabinets were installed, we had second thoughts. And our designer came up with the slate corinth, which I think is perfect. The slate is rustic but there is a lot of stainless steel. Not sure what to call it.

Enduring, I know the short backsplash isn't often done anymore. At the time we had it put in, the slate was not in the picture and I don't think the short backsplash would have worked with the modern glass tiles that were our original plan. At the time the counters went in, though, the backsplash was up in the air and we were thinking about just painting the area gray like the rest of the walls.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Love the slate with the soapstone! I also love the suspended vent and pendants.

Beautiful! Congrats!

• LottieS
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. Especially love the backsplash. Everything came together and flows.

• cj47
    12 years ago

Ah, natural cherry and soapstone, my favorite combination! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I love that backsplash with the soapstone, it's beautiful!
    Congratulations.

Cj

• eriepatch
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Can you tell us more about the
    light fixtures? Did you order them online?

You did a great job with everything!

• 64reno64
    12 years ago

great job- love the combinations! The slate and soapstone looks great - are you keeping the soapstone unoiled? Is it tough to keep it looking nice unoiled?

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Very nice!

• westsider40
    12 years ago

Congrats. I love everything about your beautiful kitchen. The cabinetry is warm and pretty and super convenient. I love the hidden-ness of the tv. I love the sink. I love where everything is. I love the spaciousness and the workflow--and I am sure that you are loving your gorgeous room.

Btw, is your cabmaker in Indiana? Thks.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I really love it! The cabinets are gorgeous, the backsplash is perfect, and I love the wall color. Oh, and the soapstone is amazing!!!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I would love it if you can post pictures when the kitchen cabinets darken a little bit to see how much darker they will become. I love Cherry cabinets any color they become. I wanted Cherry floors but they would be too soft with the traffic I get so I went with Brazilian Cherry floors.

Again, you did a really nice job renovating your kitchen making it warm and pretty and I am sure you are enjoying it especially with the hidden TV.

• Linda
    12 years ago

Beautiful! What a warm and elegant look!

• EATREALFOOD
    12 years ago

LOVE the soapstone and backsplash !!!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love the soapstone and counters, but the bs is what takes it over the top ;)

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Prospect, this is just beautiful; my sense of the ideal kitchen. Your backsplash is fantastic. Can you tell us about the sink? It looks soapstone too. What are the dimensions? Where did you get it? Could we have a picture of it please?

My kitchen has similar colors and textures, I think. I've started to struggle with locating tolerable stools -- are you liking yours? They look nice; are they comfortable?

Congratulations on such a consistent, comfortable space. May you know great happiness in it to match the beauty!

• prospect711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Everyone.
    The sink is custom soapstone, made by The Stone Studio in Batesville, Indiana. I'd be happy to take another photo - do you want to see the inside of the sink?
    The stools are comfortable, very sturdy, and very stable (not tippy at all). We are pleased with them. We ordered them custom through the local Trica dealer. We were looking for stools suitable for larger adults.
    We worked with a kitchen/interior designer - otherwise it would not have come out this well.
    The cabinets were done through Select Kitchen Design (just south of the Dayton Mall). The Amish cabinet makers they work with are in Ohio.
    The pendants (and the central light fixture) were ordered online. Link is below. You have to register to see it. It is the Sonneman 4802.01 Transparence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonneman

• sprtphntc7a
    12 years ago

wow!! it is beautiful.

absolutely LOVE the slate!!! it really does put it "over the top"

cabs and counters are gorgeous!! love the paint color

everything looks wonderful...warming, inviting and functional!!

Enjoy!!!

• clvransom
    12 years ago

Prospect711, I love your kitchen! the way all of the wood from the cabinets to the window trim tie in together is beautiful. The unique light fixtures get a thumbs up!

I'm excited seeing the quality of your Amish cabinetry! My Amish cabinetry should be installed the last week of November or the first week of December.

Enjoy your new kitchen!

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Beautiful! The natural cherry with the soapstone--yum! And your sink has me drooling! I especially love the way your bs and wall paint colors tie it all together and give the space a warm feel with a touch of drama! You did a Great job with all your decisions. Enjoy!

• prill
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love the bs with the counters and your sink is perfect. Wonderful job.

Would you tell me what brand your stove is? Is it 30"?

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

Beautiful colors and amazing that you kept the floor and it all goes so well together. Your cabs are very nicely crafted . I love the light fixtures and that sink...wow. The back splash is such a compliment to the whole. Altogether a warm and comfortable space. c

• prospect711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm not sure where people are seeing a TV. We have a hidden microwave - that must be what people are seeing? There is no TV in this kitchen, although the contractor suggested putting one above the fridge.

Prill, the range is a 30" Capital Precision.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Prospect, your kitchen is beautiful. The backsplash is beautiful against your cabinets and ties into your counter so nicely. Your sink is really neat and I love your lighting choices. Form and function - can't beat it!

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

Is the soapstone oiled in these pictures? If not, how dark will Beleza go when oiled?

Thanks!

• Mellie0803
    12 years ago

I love the hidden microwave, very clever!

• advanced
    12 years ago

Fantastic job. I love the warmth of your kitchen,so calming. What is the name of the paint color you used?

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen - and the view out the windows. I don't normally like 'small' tiles (well, I like seeing them, wouldn't want them, too much to clean) - yours are beautiful and just perfect with your counter and cabinets!

the Amish are great with woodworking, aren't they? We had Amish build the addition on our house back in IN. super workers, super quality. and no beer cans mixed in with the filler dirt... (as was with the original part of the house not done by the Amish (it also had many quality problems)).

so glad to hear you don't have a 'hidden tv'! lol! I do miss many things tho and keep having to scroll back to the pics after reading posts!

Is the flooring sheet or tile vinyl? looks great - I like it. will take a look for it at Lowe's on my next trip there. I'm looking for some to put in my kitchen, hall and laundry room. I want it light colored so not to darken the areas. Many patterns are too busy for me, yours isn't.

ENJOY your beautiful new - functional - kitchen!

• prospect711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Paint is Sherwin Williams Unusual Gray.

The floor is sheet vinyl. I think its been discontinued at Lowe's.

The Beleza is not oiled in these pictures. It was oiled when installed, and it looked quite black to me.

• singingmicki
    12 years ago

I just have to say WOW!
    All your choices look wonderful.
    That floor is great and shows how vinyl can fit into a beautiful space.

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

Kitchen looks great!! Love the soapstone and your backsplash!

What kind of fridge do you have? Are those magnets on the front doors?

• prospect711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mercymygft - the fridge is a Kitchenaid and yes those are magnets on the front. Much to my surprise - they stick.

• biochem101
    12 years ago

A soapstone and cherry U-shape! Wow.
    My favorite arrangement. :)

Everything fits efficiently into a "relatively" small footprint and yet there is obviously space to breath.

This is so cool. You really need to submit this kitchen to the Finished Kitchens Blog because it is very unique on several counts.
    I can think of a number of questions that regularly come up that your kitchen answers.

For people with smaller footprints that wonder how to fit it all in and what will it look like?

Sinks not under windows. There are often questions from people asking "how high should the cabinet be above the sink"?
    Your setup looks perfect.

Someone even asked not that long ago about a full range in the peninsula and several of us scrambled to try and find a photo.
    It's rare, and none looked as nice as yours. Love the deep pot drawers on either side.
    Proves it can be done well.

Hood over the peninsula. Yours is very stream lined and doesn't block the view the way many do.

The double glass corner cabinet is TOTALLY unique as far as I know. Never seen one like it.
    Angled glass cab on peninsula end is cool too.

There wasn't room below so the MW is on a special wider shelf with a door to hide behind.
    Brings it forward, doesn't it? Clever.

Well planned!

• westsider40
    12 years ago

thanks for letting me know your cab maker is in Ohio. Mine is in Indiana. just curious. sorry, thought your micro was a tv, lol. so very nice.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

thx for the info on the vinyl. just my usual luck that it's discontinued - lol!

• function_first
    12 years ago

I love how the tile (which is s t u n n i n g , by the way) and countertop harmonize. It's a really beautiful kitchen. Nice job.

• katieob
    12 years ago

Awesome job!
    I LOVE that soapstone sink!

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

Love your use of natural materials- they look great together...You thought out each and every detail so well! Congratualtions!

• eriepatch
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link to the light fixtures.
    Again, love your kitchen.

• prospect711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Biochem -I'm glad that our kitchen can give others some ideas. We certainly agonized over it for quite awhile. My husband came up with the idea for the double glass door corner cabinets, and the angled glass on the end. The sink-with-no-window was a feature from the old kitchen. We didn't move plumbing - but we did raise the upper a few inches over the sink.

Our designer was Tracy Kraft (Nest Designs LLC) in Dayton, Ohio. We couldn't have done it without her. She came up with the U-shape, the backsplash, and many other ideas as well as serving as a referee.

• Daicey
    12 years ago

I love the soapstone! Isn't it so great to be done!!

• lisa616
    12 years ago

I love the soapstone too! I'm in the process of picking out new countertops and I can't find one place that will recommend putting it in the kitchen. And..with 3 teenagers (who aren't careful) I would worry about it. BUT....I want it! Hmm....Anyone had it for a long time and see how it wears?

• Lori Ryan
    12 years ago

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful! Like everyone here... The soapstone and backsplash and the cherry cabinets are stunning. Congrats.. I hope you enjoy your lovely kitchen for years to come.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

I can't add much to what has been said. It is gorgeous and your finishes are harmonious with each other. This is the size of kitchen many of us have been handed to remodel--and your new footprint maximizes it well, yet is still lightfilled and open. Perhaps your biggest success is that I did not immediately look at it and wonder "Why is there no window over the sink?"

Oh, and please do post more photos of the sink...it is awesome.

• sosouper
    12 years ago

Please tell me more about your pulls. What kind are they and what size are they?

• Susied3
    11 years ago

Prospect, I am just now getting the pleasure of seeing your beautiful kitchen.

Couple of questions if you don't mind. How are you liking your soapstone sink? I just ordered samples from MTexeria and originally thinking a Shaw's farmhouse, but I love your soapstone!
    Also, your pendants, what brand are they?
    Your kitchen is great, my first thought was "tricked out". LOL Don't know why that popped in my brain, but it has a lot of cool stuff. Love the way you positioned the glass cabs, very good looking.
    Congrats!

• Susied3
    11 years ago

Prospect, I am just now getting the pleasure of seeing your beautiful kitchen.

Couple of questions if you don't mind. How are you liking your soapstone sink? I just ordered samples from MTexeria and originally thinking a Shaw's farmhouse, but I love your soapstone!
    Also, your pendants, what brand are they?
    Your kitchen is great, my first thought was "tricked out". LOL Don't know why that popped in my brain, but it has a lot of cool stuff. Love the way you positioned the glass cabs, very good looking.
    Congrats!

• prospect711
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susied,
    The pendants are Sonneman. Link is below. You have to register for that site. The Beleza soapstone is pretty bulletproof. We leave it unoiled.
    We love the soapstone sink. We have only broken one wine glass in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonneman Lights

• pbs51
    10 years ago

Hi prospect711, I've just joined and am searching for all forums related to cherry cabinets. I like your cabinets. Could you let me know the brand? Thanks so much.

• marial1214
    10 years ago

I am headed to see the Amish tomorrow and I am planning on a free standing pantry and island but I had no idea they did kitchen cabinets oh wow! I am totally feeling excited now, thanks for posting, your kitchen looks hot! I have beautiful hard wood oak cabs, I wonder what all new cabs would cost! Fabulous work!

• Laurel Fitzhugh
    6 years ago

Yeah that is a good at flight backsplash for a while, how do you like it? how is it to clean? Is it sealed?