Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgopp

My x-mas stuff is up! Let me see your holiday kitchen...

jgopp
12 years ago

Now now I know many of you just finished your holiday meal for thanksgiving. But now it's time to look forward to Christmas. I actually did my thanksgiving at the house 2 weeks ago so I've had some time to decorate. Here is my kitchen at the moment...

Comments (89)

• cherryblossom99
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice jgopp, it looks so festive and welcoming (your home in general even excluding the decorations). I don't decorate the kitchen but I will think about that differently now. Maybe I can do something in there with the inspiration. Merry Christmas to all!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

rhome: looking good.

leia: unfortunately I haven't posted much else besides my dining room on here. Maybe if another one of those "let me see the rest of your house" threads came up I'd post more.

• nursetammi
    12 years ago

leia_in_lalaland

We did have load-bearing issues that required a column. We basically took the back brick wall of the house off. The column on the right is load bearing, the other is decorative for symmetry.

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

When I saw the title to this thread I thought I was going to see TONS of pics to inspire me!!! Ok just got all my stuff up and out. Will get up some pics after I am finished setting up for tonights party!!

• Sidney4
    12 years ago

I want to see more pictures as well. I'm just getting started but I'll share a few pics just to keep things going. I'll do wide shot when I get everything in place.I still have the flowers from Thanksgiving on my table. I hate to replace when they are still in such good shape. Here's what I have so far.

• natal
    12 years ago

Leia, the granite on the hutch is New Ventian Gold. The other countertop is Kahlua Brown quartz. The cabinet is from Pier 1.

• kitchenkrazed09
    12 years ago

Natal - What is the name of the paint color on the wall behind the Christmas tree (in the last photo)? Is that the same paint color that is seen in the other photos? Thanks!

• mailfox7
    12 years ago

So many festive kitchens!

this is my Christmas kitchen

And what's on the counter to go into gift bags

• natal
    12 years ago

La jan, your toffee looks yummy!

Kitchenkrazed, it's all BM Shaker Beige.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

You are all inspirational...
    LR511, how did you affix your ornaments? Did you put a tack or something into your window moldings? And Sidney 4, how did you affix the wreath to your cabinetry?

I want to do some of these things but am afraid to ruin my new cabinets... thanks!

• Lori Ryan
    12 years ago

Colorfast: I used tension rods at the top of each window and tied the ornaments up with my DH's fishing line. I did not want to have to fill in holes after I take them down.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I am loving all the Christmas treasures.
    Thanks for sharing the ideas and beautiful creativity.
    I am still behind on my decor. I was just feeling
    uninspired and not feeling the spirit until I opened
    this thread.

I can not wait to get started.
    ~bp

• nursetammi
    12 years ago

Yes Sidney 4 please tell us how you attached the wreath. That is such a great idea, I would love to put a wreath over my stove area on the cabinetry but like colorfast am afraid to damage the cabinets.If I had seen your picture while I was doing the kitchen I would have asked the cabinetmaker to put an invisible hook there :) Everything you have set up so far looks beautiful.

• gayl
    12 years ago

la_jan: is that Marilyn's toffee? That is the best, but I haven't even started on mine yet...

• mailfox7
    12 years ago

gharborwa: no not Marilyn's. I got this recipe off Better Homes and Gardens. It is very simple and best of all, doesn't require a candy thermometer!

• kitchenkrazed09
    12 years ago

Thanks Natal! It's very pretty. Sorry to go off topic, Jgopp. (If my kitchen were finished, I'd post photos too!)

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Thanks LR5, I'll have a look at tension rods when I'm out today!

• clergychick
    12 years ago

I love seeing everyone's decorations! I tend to get in a rut with what I do one year to another, probably because it is quicker that way. Christmas is a busy time of year for me -- I've got four parties at my house next week, not to mention the extra goings-on at church. But as a person who loves change, I'm always looking for inspiration and new ideas.

Here are some pics of some of my kitchen decorations -- as someone said earlier in this thread, might as well decorate the kitchen, it's where everyone always hangs out!

Blessings of the season, everyone! --clergychick (Amy)

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That upper santa there looks exceptionally angry about this holiday season.

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

Here's a few of mine. I was set up for a party when I took the pics so not everything was out. My kitchen is open to dining room and livingroom so I always bring decorations into the kitchen as well. Sorry for the poor camera quality pics!

• Sidney4
    12 years ago

Nursetammi,Colorfast,

I used the clear Command Hooks. I put one on each door. What did I ever do before Command Hooks came on the market?

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Command hooks are awesome. I assume nails and stuff were the method prior to their invention.

Everyone has great decor on this board. Keep em coming.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Thanks, Sidney!

• Sidney4
    12 years ago

Wow......I love seeing everyone's Christmas kitchens. Coastal modern your tablescape's are stunning. I'm entertaining next week and you've inspired me! Clergy chick, I would love to see a little more of your kitchen if you care to share. Your back splash is gorgeous!

• clergychick
    12 years ago

Thanks, sidney4 -- I'm happy to show you more. Here's my photobucket account. Just email me if you have questions: it's too bad the Finished Kitchens Blog is down -- it has all the details.

Happy Holidays! -- Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: clergychick's kitchen

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

coastal: I really love your kitchen, looks fantastic.

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

Thanks Sidney and jgopp! I don't really have many shelves or occasional tables so use my island and dining table to display my stuff. For big dinners and parties I set up buffet on my cooktop side of island and use the other side for gathering. It works out perfectly. If the pic quality was better you could probably see the buffet set up. I usually have small wreaths up on my interior windows as well but haven't put those up yet.

• Sidney4
    12 years ago

Amy, thanks, The adaptive use of the old mantle is brilliant.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Very pretty. The kitchen island tree I haven't had time to decorate yet - probably this afternoon. In the meantime, here is my view from the kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: my tree and mantel

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There are some really cool decorations going on there. I like the old sock dryers over the fire.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

any more?

• Capegirl05
    12 years ago

jgopp....I am totally copying you! Love the garland wrapped around the pendant poles! How did you hang your wreath on the window? Very clever! I have not started decorating quite yet...trying to get settled in here. Thank you for some great ideas and for the thread to motivate me! :o)
    capegirl

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Capegirl: good good, copy away if you like. I don't mind. Like posted above the 3M command strip hooks are what most people are using to hang their wreaths on painted surfaces. They're awesome.

• mom2tykel
    12 years ago

Beautiful decorations in gorgeous homes! It is amazing to see such unique and interesting decorations using items most of us have/what is available in stores as a jumping off point and going from there.

With my pics you will get a sneak peak of last weekend's project...installing the backsplash tile (yay!). It is Kukai Silk 1x2 glass tile inspired by GW'er jakabedy (thank you!). We love it. Still need to grout, possibly tomorrow's project before I head in to work for 2nd shift.

So, we are slowly decorating around projects and keeping it simple this year. Our dining room is in transition from make-shift kitchen during remodel to DIY area such as painting a new tv stand (60% off, I couldn't resist). I will need to clean the dining room before Christmas brunch/dinner.

Enjoy. Happy Holidays to all! ~Jenn

Come on in! Wreath purchased from my daughter's FFA fundraiser. I added spray painted star and simple ribbon. With the mild weather we have been having here in New England I was able to paint the front door from white to BM Carbon Copy which is a deep purple, almost black.

Broken crock I use all year round. The back has a small piece missing and I leave it out all year. In the spring/summer I place over peonies before they get too tall and it holds them upright and looks great, in the fall it is filled with pumpkins, straw, feathers, and in the winter, berries and greens from the yard.

Old drawer used to hold holiday cards. See the tile. I love it! I can use any color to compliment the kitchen.

Mantle. Sorry about the streaks in the mirror. lol.

Tree in 3-season porch (cell phone=blurry pic) just after 1st lighting of the season.

Small etagere I bought last weekend and added a new coat of black spray paint. Daughter's Santa hat that she wears daily. Trim still needs final coat of paint (excuse the dog hairs).

Michael's wreath and ribbon using 50% off coupons. PB crock I bought many years ago. I have a larger one that holds sponges, scrubbers, etc. Still need to grout and final coat of paint on walls and trim.

Old pair of wooden skis my sister-in-law, a florist in NH Lakes Region, turned into a floral decoration. I love it!

Clean part of the kitchen! lol.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Everybody has been busy! Love all the wreaths and sparkling lights. Are those river birch candles in the FP? I recently looked for some but couldn't find locally.

Came back to post the small tree on our island. It's decorated with wooden and paper mache ornaments - several given to us when we married (the day after Christmas) by my aunt and others used on our den tree when the children were growing up.

{{gwi:1900570}}

{{gwi:1978334}}

{{gwi:1978335}}

Kitchy part of my decorating this year - the pitcher and a dozen mugs were painted by a local lady in the early 70s. My dad bought the set for Mom one year. She just recently gave to me, and I know she will enjoy seeing. The three small wooden squares next to feather tree are Christmas games (get the metal ball in the hole) with Santa, a snowman and a reindeer. Kids used to play with them each year. The handprint wreath was made by DS in K, 1991.

{{gwi:1900571}}

Here is a thread in Decorating with more pictures around the house if anyone is interested. Just posted, so scroll down...

Here is a link that might be useful: Share Your Christmas Decorating

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a whole lotta decorations Jenn. I really like the tree in the kitchen, that is cool. It fits really well with your style.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

jgopp, not sure if you're talking to me or Jenn - her post is above mine on this thread. Since I don't see a tree in her kitchen, I'll say thanks! lol

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My bad! I didn't see the page break there I was kind of scrolling quick. I like both homes though :)

I got a new camera as an xmas gift to myself and I took this as my first photo with it... but the image is HUGE so I won't post it onto the forum directly, I linked it below.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

The garlands, knick knacks, and fake candles are decades old from my mom's stash. Huh, maybe "vintage" sounds cooler... The chile lights are a requirement of living in New Mexico lol. Of course, Nature's decorating outside the window is far better than anything I could do!

(Sorry, I only have the "before" kitchen at this time)

happy holidays!

• natal
    12 years ago

Mtnfever, what a gorgeous view!

• Noma Finney
    12 years ago

I haven't posted my finished kitchen pics yet since I just got my backsplash installed 3 days ago, but I wanted to share some of my Christmas decorations.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Oh, I love your sink windowsill, nollie_gardener. Really pretty.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

thank you, natal! All the other kitchens are so elegantly decorated that mine sure doesn't compare, but it's hard to beat Mother Nature.

cheers

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

ps: I didn't mean at all to imply any kind of competition and I love looking at everyone's pics.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I made the image smaller. I'm really diggin your guys decorations.

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

Hi jgopp..

You all are so talented and creative..Thanks for getting me to try my hand at it..

Merry Christmas..

KA:)

• Mellie0803
    12 years ago

KA: where did you get the little towel holder on the counter in photo 1? That's really cute, I love it.

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

Hi Mellie...

I get asked that question soooo often from other GW people..I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond..but I haven't seen it there lately. Your best bet is to look online for something similar...Good Luck!

KA:)

• Mellie0803
    12 years ago

Thanks, I'll take a look the next time I'm there!

• colorfast
    12 years ago

If no luck at Bed Bath&Beyond, Amazon had a lot of French wrought iron looking decor that I stumbled upon recently. Don't remember if there was a towel holder.