Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minty88

Please post picture of your backsplashes

minty88
11 years ago

I am trying to get ideas for my backsplash. The posting on pictures of countertops came out so well, I wonder if anyone would be interested in showing their backsplashes too.

Could you please include the name and color of your backsplash along with the name and color of your grout?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (90)

• lindy1096
    11 years ago

Sharonite - I like that! We have Chroma quartz in seashell (white) and dark cabinets. We found an inexpensive glass/stone (marble) mosaic at Costco but DH thought the glass looked too blue. We have now chosen another one that is glass and limestone. It ties in the dark cabinets and grey in the counters. But I do like yours a lot too! Is is only marble? What is it called?

• adel97
    11 years ago

Lindy:thanks! the BS is "white statuary calacatta polished, cascading waterfall mosaic". We ordered it from a Tile Showcase showroom in Watertown MA. It's not shown on their website but you can call them to order a sample (www.tileshowcase.com). Note that it varies some from lot to lot so if you order make sure they send you a good pic of the current lot for approval first.

• adel97
    11 years ago

Lindy:thanks! the BS is "white statuary calacatta polished, cascading waterfall mosaic". We ordered it from a Tile Showcase showroom in Watertown MA. It's not shown on their website but you can call them to order a sample (www.tileshowcase.com). Note that it varies some from lot to lot so if you order make sure they send you a good pic of the current lot for approval first.

• windycitylindy
    11 years ago

Since I was asked about it in another thread, I thought I should post it here too. We have white harlequin tile from Daltile to provide a unique but subtle backdrop to our superwhite stone.

• spagano
    11 years ago

I think I love each one! I'm in year 8 of ABB. Anyway, here is my current backsplsh (ie. copper paint over bumpy walls) and my tile sheet that still needs to be installed. Full disclosure, DH hated it so it never got installed. Once we divorced I was preoccupied with other things. Now that I have the time to do it I'm not motivated because in about a year he starts living in the house again and I go to a new house. Yeah, it confuses most people :) (ignore my chubby hand)

• nursetammi
    11 years ago

Hi Minty88, so sorry it took me so long to respond. I did enhance the scabos prior to putting it up. It made it so much easier to clean after grouting.

• mamasheshe
    11 years ago

Tierra Y Fuego mixed deco mozaik with terra nova mexican white field tile.

• eam44
    11 years ago

spagano, it's beautiful tile, you love it, and (bonus)

"DH hated it ... in about a year he starts living in the house again..."

Isn't that motivation enough? You can live with it and enjoy it for the year you've got. Think of how intensely it will brighten and polish your space - just what you need for a happy fresh start! And a year from now when you-know-who is living with tile he was too ignorant to appreciate, he'll think of you whenever he looks at it:)

• Nanc26
    11 years ago

Here is my backsplash.

• karen_belle
    11 years ago

We went in a different direction than most with our midcentury kitchen remodel. I love all the backsplashes posted here, especially the ones with a lot of dramatic movement, but the larger format and bright blue in our choices is what finally "spoke" to me when we were trying to figure this out. I tested a lot of different combinations of these tiles here on the forum and finally went with a random layout.

• amandapadgett
    11 years ago

Resurrecting this because it is a great compilation of the backsplash ideas and concepts. I wish I had been able to see all these pictures before I chose my backsplash. Not that I don't like mine, just would have loved seeing all these creative concepts before deciding.

• terri76
    11 years ago

Nursetammi, what is the name of your granite?

• badgergal
    11 years ago

My backsplash picture disappeared in my earlier reply so here it is again.
    {{!gwi}}
    And a little closer shot

• tanajo
    11 years ago

Couldn't resist posting mine. :-)

• catamount90
    11 years ago

Here is the most recent photo of my DIY backsplash project. All I have left to do is grout and replace the trim.

The tile is Crema Ivory Bamboo: http://www.msistone.com/mosaic-hatches/crema-ivy-bamboo-stone/

• ControlfreakECS
    11 years ago

My kitchen wasn't quite picture ready when this thread went around the first time. We used Hirsch Tile glass mosaic . . . it only went by a #, not a name, sorry.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

My only pics are still those taken with an old phone. This wall is a variety of ss mosaics - silver, gun smoke black, copper, and our island has copper. (Can't post 2 straight from ipad, but this gives you an idea of our main backsplash.)

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Sometimes you have to pair busy with busy. Blue pearl granite with American Olean blue glass mosaics.

• nhbaskets
    11 years ago

Don't have much but here is mine.

• soshh
    11 years ago

Mine is a white, black and red cement tile called Neiba by avente tile, bordered by black porcelain mosaic ordered online from HD, with mixed slate from HD and stone tile depot cut in 1 3/4 strips to mimic the size and proportions of roman brick, seen elsewhere in the house. Grout is natural gray from Home Depot.

You can see more in my vintage with a twist kitchen reveal.

• mudworm
    11 years ago

I'm thinking about using 12x24 tiles. Flipping through the pictures, I'm struck that no one had a backsplash with large tiles. That's interesting...

• both
    11 years ago

karen belle LOVE LOVE LOVE your backslash.

• Rybren2
    11 years ago

Elongated hexagon in Calacatta marble.

• fldirt
    11 years ago

This has been great looking at all the beautiful kitchens. I am in the beginning of redesigning my kitchen & looking at backsplash tiles. Y'all have given me lots to think about...keep them coming!
    Thanks

• jasperdog
    11 years ago

Spagno,
    Think how much joy you'll have once it is intstalled and knowing how much he dislikes the back splash when he moves in and you move out.

• boymom23
    11 years ago

Mine is pretty plain, but I like the way it goes with my kitchen! Very easy to clean, also! :) I love seeing everyone's pretty kitchens!

• minty88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Southernmum, what is the name of your backsplash?

So many beautiful backsplashes. I am taking a break. I have decided to concentrate on my bathrooms counters for now.

I have finally decided on what counters to put in my bathrooms. I am having new venetian gold granite in my guest bath, cambria new haven in my main bath and cambria tenby cream in my master bath.

As soon as they are in I will go back to the backsplash in my kitchen which has Black Pearl Granite.

I am going to have so much free time when this is all done : )

My house is only 5 years old. But when I had it built I figured I would just put in some laminate for now and then figure out later what I really wanted for counters. Big mistake. I have been wasting 5 yrs of my life trying to make the decisions on counters. When you have no deadline you can really drag it out.

Never again. If I ever build again, I will make the decisions then. It would have been so much easier!!!

Thanks everyone for all the photos of your beautiful kitchens!!!!!

• julie825
    11 years ago

Six years after build, still have not done my backsplash. I had been leaning toward green, but just not enough courage or money to go ahead. This may be a silly question, but it looks like most people are using subway or glass tiles and that murals over the cooktop are not as common? I have Uba Tuba with a 3" backsplash and kind of regret not just doing the flat counter look, except for the ease in cleaning these last few years.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Wow. Travertine is really feeling left out here. We knew when we installed it that it wasn't the newest/latest thing, but we love it all the same. The blue tiles are from a glass mosaic sheet that we cut up and substituted in for random 1x1s in the travertine. The blues are light/medium/dark in both translucent and opaque.

• Zipparoo
    11 years ago

How do you like this backsplash? It is made of tempered glass (virtually unbreakable) with a custom image. Dramatic but really suits the space.

• azpedsrn
    11 years ago

I loved looking at all these beautiful backsplashes. Now I'm even more confused on what I'd pick...

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Suzanne - your mosaic BS is gorgeous! Looks great with the counters which match mine!

• momand3boys
    11 years ago

Tumbled chiaro travertine, enhanced, with glass and stone inserts

• Lori Ryan
    10 years ago

I wanted my counter to be the star so I have very plain Sonoma subway tile, Ashbury series in Mojave. I also had the 4 X4 and beaded liner in the same color. The accent is Tumbled Honey Onyx. I also had the electrician and contractor move my electrical boxes to the bottom of the back splash so they would not interrupt the flow of the back splash.

• sixtyohno
    10 years ago

Green glass subways.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I guess I never posted GF's kitchen which we had fun putting together

• pelletis
    8 years ago

calling rybren2, I love your calacutta backsplash. I also have dove white cabinets and am hanging a hard time with the warm vs cool marbles. Can you post more pics of you beautiful kitchen? Thanks

• Tara Tara
    8 years ago

I wanted a neutral color with some bling in my tile. It is called St Lucia (Brand is Fired Earth Glass Works; purchased at The Tile Shop). It is an opalescent pearl glass tile that sparkles like bubbling champagne when the light hits it just right. We used Antique white grout.

kitchen · More Info

kitchen · More Info

kitchen · More Info

• pelletis
    8 years ago

Thank you Tara, I am at work but saw your pics and beautiful backsplash. Thanks for posting.

I am really struggling with this decision and am embarrassed that its not done yet. I am waiting for samples from Saltillo tile and creek side in Canada for calacutta and oriental white

Thanks again

• namarie
    8 years ago

I have calacatta tile with white cabinets if this will be helpful to you. Our cabinets are a factory finish white that is probably a bit brighter than dove white.

• pelletis
    8 years ago

Wow namarie can you tell me where you got the tile and what size it is? It's beautiful!

• namarie
    8 years ago

Thanks! It is a 4x16 calacatta tile by Walker Zanger.

• pelletis
    8 years ago

Ok no wonder its beautiful wz in my dreams and now in your picture, its delicious, can I move in?

• namarie
    8 years ago

Pelletis, it was a bit of a stretch for us but the wz tile was actually not as expensive as we thought it would be before we asked. I believe it was around $35/sq ft. Not cheap but cheaper than a slab, which I would have loved.

• Debbie B.
    8 years ago

What a fun thread! My visceral reactions to the various backsplashes really helped me understand what I do and do not like. This is better than a show room because it's real people's kitchens! My backsplash is called Peeling Hideous Wallpaper From the 70's, haha, but some day...

I hope more folks will post here!

:-)

• doonie
    8 years ago

Brittany & Coggs Decorative Tiles mixed with Winchester field tiles.

• gr8daygw
    8 years ago

• gr8daygw
    8 years ago

The photo in the post above is my friend's kitchen and this one is mine. It was taken before the new granite installation. Looks better now but I don't have a ready photo to upload so just thought I'd post this one because the back splash is the same : ) It looks pretty plain in this photo but it's Sonoma Tile and was expensive and had many tiles to choose from in shape and accents. I was not happy with the tile installation and thick grout lines, another long story.. Anyway, I just wanted a more plain splash. I don't have as much on the counters now that the busier granite is in. Also, have repainted since this photo, gotten full window 3 1/2 " shutters, new table and chairs and drapes. Yikes, this was awhile ago!!

• nhbaskets
    8 years ago

Above in 2013 I had posted our then kitchen. We built a new house two years ago, so that means a new backsplash! Like doonie, we have Brittany & Coggs mixed with other tile. B&C is the star!

• pelletis
    8 years ago

wow, sorry i haven't fu'ed, burned out from work. Thank you so much for your posts. These are brands I haven't heard of B&C,all beautiful! I have spent days mulling over sonoma tiles though, love them. United Tile ( owns them I believe) said they have an 8 week lead time right now.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts