Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fnzzy

ot that annoying babiesrus pop up!!!

fnzzy
16 years ago

seriously, I wish the people who run this website would get a grip. That babies r us pop up totally covers the entire screen and sometimes I can't even click off of it. It has to be the most annoying thing EVER!!!!!

Comments (27)

• Zoe52
    16 years ago

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY!

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

Get Firefox. Install it. You can get it for Windows, Mac or Linux.

Get Adblock Plus. Install it, with one of the updating lists.

Never see another ad.

• alku05
    16 years ago

If you prefer to keep using Internet Explorer, try this:

On IE, go to tools, then choose internet options. Go to the security tab, choose restricted sites, and click on the sites button. Add each of the following sites:

*ivillage.com
    *.overture.com
    a820.g.akamai.net
    graphics.gardenweb.com
    iv.doubleclick.net

Then you'll have no more annoying ads!

• dedtired
    16 years ago

I agree about Firefox. I finally downloaded it and use the adblock feature. I never see an ad, survey or anything else no matter what site I'm on.

• natal
    16 years ago

End your misery ... download Firefox!

Pam, I was going to drop you a line, but no email address and I don't post on the CF. Saw you were interested in Mustang's homemade granite cleaner and just wanted to let you know that ammonia isn't advised. It can dull the surface.

• glennsfc
    16 years ago

Never saw the popup...my provider and the internet security software I have installed block almost every popup on most every site. It does ask me on occasion if I want to allow a particular popup.

• jackiemcg
    16 years ago

I have Firefox and the Adblock feature (says it in the lower right corner of my computer) I still see the babies r us pop up.

• jt562
    16 years ago

Thank you alku05,that worked beautifully! I didn't really feel like downloading programs right now...maybe another time...

• creekylis
    16 years ago

OMG... was thinking the same thing when I signed on!!!! It is REALLY bad.

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

jackiemcg, are you telling adblock what to block? I don't know where the babiesrus ad is coming from because I'm not seeing it, but adblock will give you a list of blockable urls. I have a subscription (free) to a filter list. When you first installed Adblock Plus it gave you a list of filter subscriptions for you to choose from.

• plllog
    16 years ago

I was allowing the ads figuring that they paid for this place, but this one is over the top and back to blocking I go...

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

But there are ads, and there are ads. The ads on every Google-served page are unobtrusive and context-sensitive. I have clicked on lots of them. But the whirling, spinning, blinking obtrusive ads? Never, never, for ANY reason, would I EVER click on one of those, even if it was giving away exactly what I was looking for.

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

that's the thing - I use firefox but normally I allow sites to serve up ads because I know they pay the bills. But what bills exactly are being paid? We have this completely crap message board software where you can't even find where you've posted or see if someone has replied to you and still we get big honking ads. Yep, this one is getting blocked.

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh and I meant to say - the babies r us one is not stopped by adblock plus. I should have said that originally.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Guess what? I use Firefox and I still get that particular damn ad, which alternates with the POLO ad. Double boo hiss.

• jobird
    16 years ago

For ultimate ad blocking,consider the Firefox extension NoScript. It doesn't miss anything,but you must "allow" sites that you want scripts to run on (you just right click on the NoScipt symbol on your taskbar,then select the script you want to allow.)

Here is a link that might be useful: NoScript add-on extension

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

I use Firefox and AdBlock Plus and have NOT seen the Babies R Us ad (or any other ad). If you're using FF and ABP and seeing it, then something isn't right with the ABP configuration. As you can see in this screen shot, there are NO ads or pictures of any kind, not even on the right side. My filter lists consist of EasyList and EasyElement + EasyList

Monica

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

the point is - we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to avoid a nasty pop up flash ad that no one wants to see.

• sjerin
    16 years ago

monica-- can you tell us how you get to "filter list" and how you have filtered all this junk out? If I click on ABP, I see a running list but I don't know what it means or what to do with it.

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

Open your FF extension list/click on Options under AdBlock Plus/Filters/Add Filter Subscription/View All Subscriptions
    At this point you can cancel out of the preference box. A page of subscriptions will show the various lists. The two that were
    recommended to me (USA) was EasyElement + EasyList. Click on the filters you want, a box will pop up to add the filter, hit OK. ABP
    is updated to include these filters. I think you have to restart FF for this to take effect.
    Monica

• socalthreems
    16 years ago

I don't know - the Polo one wasn't THAT BAD! LOL! :)

• remodelqueen
    16 years ago

I finally got to see the babies r us ad while browsing here. That has got to be the most irritating thing I have ever seen. I don't even want to see their logo for the rest of my life!

I have firefox- my hubby got on and somehow fixed the problem. Hallelujah!!

They think we will really want to shop there after dealing with that? sheeeeeeeeeeesh!

• donnar57
    16 years ago

GO FIREFOX. GO AD=BLOCK PLUS.

And, knock on wood, I have yet to see the Babies-R-Us ad. Thank goodness!!!

DonnaR/CA

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

Hey, those irritating ads work even if you've never seen them. Recently someone was bitterly complaining about the 3 Musketeers MINT candy bar ad. I wasn't seeing the ad since I use FF and ABP. I'd never heard of them before but bought one the next time I was standing in line at WM...and the next time and the next time (g)
    Monica

• sjerin
    16 years ago

Monica-- I FINALLY got it-- thank you so much!! As I said, I'm not so great on the computer but I studied your instructions and fiddled around, and now I have NO ADS! Hurray!!! (Hope it lasts.)

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

sjerin...YEAH! Good for you :)
    Since FF and ABP I've seen nary a popup and I don't think any ads ANYWHERE
    Monica

• sjerin
    16 years ago

Still good today!! Thank you, thank you, Monica. Funny how such a dumb little thing can have such a big impact.