Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marble slab backsplash question

Posted by ccdip (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 16:29

Hi, I'm planning to use marble and run it up the wall as my backsplash behind my range. I'm using a 3cm marble and my question is should I make my cabinets deeper so that my 24" deep range doesn't stick out? Meeting with the cabinet people in a couple of days and need to decide what to do.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marble slab backsplash question

Ranges are more than 24" deep. Usually 27-30". The doors HAVE to stick out or it's a fire hazard. If you want to make deeper counters to have better storage space, that's one thing, but you will have to do a small piece of stone behind your range if you do that.

o

Hi Ccdip,

I also have a 3cm marble slab b-splash. I learned during my reno that as live wire says, it's really important for the range door to be free and clear of the cabinets--in other words, it's proper for the cabinets to be flush with the "body" of the range, and for the door to project out.

I think you can see that in the first pic below.

Also, I did build extra deep cabinets for storage space. I also included below a pic of the strip of marble behind my range, between the range and marble b-splash.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Forgot to mention, Ccdip, that one of the reasons I built my cabs deeper--therefore setting the range a little further away from the marble slab--is that I heard from a good number of people, including people at Wolf, that there has been some discoloration of light marble b-splashes when the heat source is close to the b-splash. I'm not sure if it's the sealer that discolors, or the marble itself.

FWIW, Wolf also specifically mentioned that the all gas ranges that vent out the back have caused discoloration of light marble b-splashes from the heat and grease emanating from the vent.

I changed my order from AG to dual fuel (vents out the bottom, front, left) for this reason. I also wouldn't do any major flambee or super high-heat wok kind of cooking on my back burners--not that I've ever actually made a flambee ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here