Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kariwb_gw

new kitchen pictures

kariwb
10 years ago

I am so thankful to the members of this forum! Despite having not posted much, I've been scouring this site for over a year now, looking at pictures, reading, learning a TON! I think I must have spent 40 hours reading the soapstone posts alone :) Here's our kitchen. I'm one that can't manage to post more than one pic at a time, so they will be coming one per post. Thanks again!

Comments (22)

• kariwb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

another view

• kariwb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another view

• kariwb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another view

• kariwb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bar

• romy718
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I really like how you did your backsplash with the tile only surrounding your hood. What a great idea. It really makes a statement without being overwhelming. Love your floors, your island style, your stacked cabinets & the cabinets surrounding your refrigerator. We are going to need all the details. How high are your ceilings?
    Congratulations!!!! Great kitchen!

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I like the rock wall and making it a part of the kitchen. It adds a lot of warmth to it. Very nice.

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

Yes, very nice! Please post details!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Would love to see more details. I love everything about it especially all the light from the wall of windows to the open room next to the kitchen and the cabinet style, paint color, island, appliances and the stone wall with the flat screen TV.

• dgormish
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! A definite inspiration as I want to do blue pearl counters and white cabinets. Thinking about floors I like what you did. All the lighting is wonderful! Love all the cabinet space.

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

So beautiful! You must be so happy!

• kariwb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! You're all so kind :) Details:

Cabinets - custom Amish off-white inset Shaker style. For the stacked cabinets, the bottom part is 33 inches high, top is 15 inches. I HAD to have bookshelves in the kitchen for my few cookbooks (despite a library in the adjoining room), but am now not sure what else to put up there. Happy to take suggestions on that - we're not typically knicknack collectors so I'm going to have to do some shopping anyway!

The bar on the rock wall is actually on the backside of a fireplace (see attached photo). We love to have friends over so it's great to let people help themselves to drink without clogging up the main work area of the kitchen. Also frees up a lot of room in the fridge. I was worried it might seem a little tacky to have that giant tv in the kitchen, but it seems okay over the bar, somehow, and I really like watching the news, etc. while I make the kids lunch in the morning.

I really wanted the stove in the corner, but only wanted a 30 inch range and didn't care for a lot of the 30'-range-in-the-corner photos I saw - too crowded - so I gave up quite a lot of room in cabinet space to filler so the range wouldn't look squashed in the corner.

The cabinet next to the fridge is a pantry. Kind of small, but we have a bigger pantry in the mudroom (off the hallway behind the kitchen) for stocking after trips to Costco.

Cabinet pulls - all were from Home Depot - all three types from one of the collections they keep in stock, not the more expensive kind you have to order. I can't remember which brand they are, but they only had two ORB brands that the keep stocked - one was Martha Stewart. Mine are NOT the Martha Stewart (not that I don't love Martha).

Countertops - Soapstone. In my part of the country (midwest), there is not much to choose from. This was called "original soapstone". From my gardenweb studies, I think it looks like Julia, but not sure. I have been waxing/oiling it with Beekeeper's Gold. No watermark troubles but, about 6 weeks in it does already have several scratches and nicks. I'm not sure I would do it again, but I don't know what else I would get. Soapstone is still the only thing I ever really liked for my kitchen. I do have 7 year old and a 4 year old, though... maybe I'll have it refinished when they get a little older.

Ceilings are 9 feet.

Pendant lights are from our local lighting store. I can look up the info on those if anyone wants it. i wanted something more industrial, but DH was not a fan.

Tile - Another compromise. I did want the subway tile all over both of those walls, but my husband would have preferred none, so this was our compromise. We love the way it turned out, although I kind of wish I would have chosen a darker paint color for more contrast. The tile is Daltile Rittenhouse square in Almond. I never knew there were so many shades of white!

Floors are white oak with a dark stain. Love love love my site finished floors! I love the look of prefinished floors, but all of those little cracks from the microbeveling would have drove me crazy.

Behind the bar:

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Beautiful! It all works together so nicely!

• kruegesm
    10 years ago

just beautiful!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Congratulations! I love the floors, cabinets, counters, hardware, and bar - all of it looks so elegant and inviting. You make it look as if it were easy, could that really be true? (not sure I want to know)

• kariwb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No! Never easy! But we've been in for over a month now. The pain is fading quickly and, in the end, we love the house.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Function and beauty. Good job, enjoy! I could picture something red in the empty bookcase.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Great kitchen! Love the stove sitting diagonally. The soapstone is beautiful, scratches or not. The stone chimney wall with the tv-bar area great idea. Part of the kitchen but separate.
    Good Job

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Great example of a range in the corner! Congratulations. I especially like your cabinetry and exposed wall. (And don't fret about the TV -- many people have them -- especially in open floorplans)

• kam76
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, love your stacked cabinets and soapstone. Do you have a close up of it? What kind did you go with? Is it soft? I am in soapstone slab selection time so reading everything I can about it too!

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Great kitchen. Love the stone wall!

• kariwb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh wow! I've not checked back here for some time... thanks so much everyone!

kam76, I think the soapstone is Julia (based on my research; our fabricator just called it "soapstone").

• john_v00
    9 years ago

Congrats, You have a good one!