Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marileekay_gw

Where did you put recycle bin pull-out cabinet?

marileekay
16 years ago

If you have a recycle bin pull-out cupboard, where did you put it in your cabinet lay out? Do you like it and would you do it again??

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

mine is going next to the sink cabinet which will be right in my work area. Not sure if I'm going to like it or not, but it will be convenient for trash in one bin and cans in the other. My thinking was this - open can on work area, rinse in sink, toss in recycles. All with barely a few steps.

• natal
    16 years ago

counterclockwise from the sink ... dishwasher, trash/recycle bins, cutting board storage, prep peninsula

• meg711
    16 years ago

Ours is in our island, next to the pull-out trash, and directly behind the sink. I love it there but whenever we have company, everyone always has to ask where the garbage is.

• linda-z
    16 years ago

I have four long, narrow tilt-outs in the back of my island. One is for plastic/glass, another is for mixed paper, the third is for newspaper, and the fourth is for dog food! The bins are attached to the door, and there is a little shelf to hold the paper bags we use for recycling. It is very convenient.

• bunglogrl
    16 years ago

Mine is between the fridge and the dishwasher. Others can access the fridge and trash without getting in my way at the stove, sink, prep corner.

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

Mine is on one end of our main island - it has two very large containers in it. Our town doesn't have trash service but has a massive "recycling and disposal facility" (it's received international awards - go figure). Because of the size of the facility, we have to do a 16-way sort before we head to the beloved "dump" so having enough containers wasn't possible. See the pull-out cab at the end.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Mine looks like Bunglogrl's. I use one can for trash, the other for cans & bottles. I sort them into separate bins in the garage later. Mine's between the sink and work peninsula, as I wanted my trash close to both areas.

• sue36
    16 years ago

I have a double trash pullout, the front is used for garbage and the rear is used for recyclables (glass, cans, bottles). Looking at my sink, the trash cabinet is to the left. The dishwasher is to the right.

A couple times a week DH dumps the recyclables into a bin in the garage, which he either leaves at the curb on pick-up day (we pay for trash pick up) or he takes it to the transfer station. We are not required to separate the recyclables when we put them at the curb, so we don't need 3+ bins. I love Linda's setup, though.

• marileekay
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all, this is helpful. Right now, in my layout, it is placed to the right of the sink. Do you think that is good???

• yanalg
    16 years ago

We have a peninsula that runs parallel to the sink wall. My trash and recycle center is a double bin pull out directly in front of the sink. I do most of my prep at the peninsula, so placing trash there is very convenient. Although I use the garbage disposal for most sink waste, having the trash/recycle bins so close is helpful. I would not change the layout, I am very pleased with it.

the trash resides in the cabinet on the left. sink is just across the isle to the right.