Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agk2003

Marble slab backsplash- Good or Bad Idea?

agk2003
9 years ago

All during our planning we thought we'd get a marble look alike quartz counter and either marble subway or white subway backsplash. now that we are not quite pleased with any of the quart marble look alikes for counters, we are considering going pure white quartz for countertop and a dramatic marble backsplash much like this pic. we plan to seal it but our question is do you think we are going to have similar issues as if we were going to have marble on the counter with etching and staining? anyone have this type of backsplash and have any first hand experience?

Comments (9)

• agk2003
    Original Author
    8 years ago

reviving this thread as we've pretty much decided to go this route- but for backsplash we are using a porcelain slab that looks like statuario marble. so it is the thickness and weight of regular porcelain tile but it is one sheet. this should negate the engineering issues noted above. what are thoughts on the look though? yeah or neigh?

• alexamorrie
    8 years ago

I put in 3mm quartz back splash when I updated my countertops - I love the look and it's so sleek with no grout lines so it's easy to clean.

• enzaenza
    8 years ago

agk2003 -

what do you plan to use as your countertop? I've also been looking at the porcelain sheets as a possible backsplash, but wonder how that would look against real marble on the counters.

• greenwoodframed
    8 years ago

We had a marble slab as a backsplash in a rental. It was sealed and it didn't really stain or etch, even with heavy cooking (lots of spaghetti sauce splashed on it, etc.)

That said, it looked nice enough but I don't think I'd spend the money to install the same in my own home. We also had a huge marble wall which, again, looked nice but must have cost a fortune and eventually chipped at the bottom where it met the floor just due to normal wear and tear.

• Fori
    8 years ago

We had a marble slab backsplash in our last kitchen. It didn't require extra engineering or structural anything (our area uses the 2 cm stuff and like the inspiration photo, it wasn't a big area).

It was not expensive. Many marbles are cheap but you can spend as much as you want of course. Labor will likely be less than tile unless you DIY tile. Like any stone, test it for staining/etching and be sure you're comfortable with it.

• agk2003
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the info! Enzaenza, we plan on doing the MSI arctic white quartz which looks like pure white from caesarstone as our countertops. We're either going to do the porcelain slab in statuario for the backsplash or white subway. I am one of those people who's still not sick of the white subway look but I don't think it's a great match with the Arctic white quartz. I think i'd need a more patterned counter for that like one of the faux marble quartzes.

• johnanth
    6 years ago

I love the look of the back splash behind hood but I'm the in quartz and also pure white quartz counters or should I put pure white quartz everywhere

• johnanth
    6 years ago

I have white shaker doors with hood fan like photo. Pure white quartz counters with fairy tail by hood or just pure white for both. It's s beach house