Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

Dog vomit stains grout...ideas?

debrak2008
10 years ago

Well, the tile isn't in the kitchen but its close. My dog vomited something up in the foyer. Most of it was on a rug but a tiny part (less then an inch) was on the floor, right on a grout line. The groutr is light in color and it is sealed. Most stuff comes right off but this will not budge. I can't remember every thing I've used but I have tried bleach several times and a steam cleaner.

Any ideas? Nothing has even faded it. Its orange red if you want to know.

Comments (17)

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

Nature's Miracle?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Toothpaste.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Folex?

• cawaps
    10 years ago

I've had good luck with Oxy-clean (melted blueberry freezer pop on a white rug; chicken tikka masala knocked off the counter that spattered EVERYWHERE). Can't specifically vouch for dog vomit, though.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

How light? I have had good luck with Finazzle, but it is difficult to find and only recommended for white grout.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Miracle Brand sealants (check their website) makes a poultice that works on all kinds of stuff. I used it on a greasy stain (butter) on my new, sealed grout and it came right up, even though the stain sat there for a week while I waited for the poultice to arrive in the mail. I wasn't able to find it locally, so I had to order some from their website. It is a powder ... I just mixed it with water according to the directions ... you just need to mix up a tiny bit and put it in a little pile over the stain, cover it with plastic wrap, tape it down, and come back the next day and remove it. Some difficult stains may require a second application. I have also used it on other, "unidentifiable" stains and it worked on them as well. Since it is a powder, it should keep indefinitely for future use. Handy stuff to have around.

Finazzle was a pretty good product for cleaning grout but I haven't been able to find it in years. Even their website was defunct when I was searching for some a couple of years ago (never a reply to any inquiries). I don't think it is made any longer.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. I do remember trying oxyclean but I can try it again. Also will try toothpaste tomorrow. If neither work then I will look for some of the products mentioned.

Its only a small spot but it drives me nuts. I will try to post a photo tomorrow. Hopefully a before and after.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Vinegar and baking soda works well. I forget the specific instructions, it might have to sit a little while after the fizzing, but you can google it.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

If you have the grout I would use a dremel with a diamond bit cut out the stained area. The replace with the same grout.
    If that isn't possible make a poultice of 30/40% volume hydrogen peroxide and unscented baby powder or flour, place on top of the stain. Cover it with plastic overnight. Then take off the plastic and let the poultice dry out completely. It must be completely dry.
    Then remove it with a putty knife. See if the stain is better or gone. If much lighter repeat.
    If gone use a neutral cleaner and clean the area of any residue.

This post was edited by srosen on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 6:05

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toothpaste and oxyclean didn't work. On to vinegar and baking soda.....

We could replace the grout in the area but I would doubt DH would go for that idea as long as we still have a dog.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Hydrogen peroxide is great at removing stains. I see it is also used on grout, see methods online.

• hazeldazel
    10 years ago

the acid in the vomit probably ate through the sealer and causing a permanent stain (I have three cats who I think like to hack up stuff as a hobby). If the oxyclean, peroxide or vinegar/baking soda don't work. Just grind out the bit of stained grout, and put in new and then seal. You will be doing such a small area, it won't be a big deal. Couple hours worth of work.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tried vinegar/baking soda and hydrogen. Nothing.

I may try srosen's poultice but I'm starting to think it is indeed permanently stained.

I will tell dh about my failed attempts and see what he says. I doubt he will want to mess with the grout. The dog is older and this is not the first time he has vomited in the foyer or made a huge mess with mud.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

Yes Try the HP poultice. We have removed many stains using this method. I want to add that poulticing method has been around for a long time. My mentor Maurizio Bertolli used it often in many situations, but it is tops for organic staining. I actually thought a group of witches who had marble floors passed it down to him!!
    When you mix the poultice you want a wet peanut butter consistency. Also use gloves when handling HP 30 or 40% volume. You must have patience however.
    I wanted to add that a great way to protect grout is color sealing. We use a product called color clad for our customers. It is amazing and will keep grout looking perfect for many years-it will never stain either.You can google it.
    Good luck if you poultice

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Are you letting it soak? I wonder if they're still putting dyes in pet food.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good thoughts snookums but I am letting it soak. He eats a quality dog food but it wasn't his food. Pretty sure he ate something he found outside. Did not act sick and just came in a left the mess on the floor. He was fine afterward. Don't yell at me! He eats anything. Yesterday he was eating mud. He is healthy but old. He was the runt of the litter and has always been obsessed with food.

Whatever it was probably good he got rid of it.

Here is a photo of him in his younger days.

No photo of the spot as I can't find the cable to upload photos from my camera.

I'm going out to buy some stronger HP as I just noticed mine is 3%.