Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___gw

Can anyone identify this granite for me? Please...

nicole__
9 years ago

I purchased this piece of granite with the sink undermount cutout already in it at the Restore for $10. Doing the happy dance!

I'm going to use it in my master bath remodel. I LOVE it! I'd like to buy another piece for my guest bath....

It has flecks of copper looking mica in it. Does anyone know the name of this granite?

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

nichole_

I think your "granite" is Silestone:

Here is a link that might be useful: Amarilla

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

no....it's NOT silestone...yes....I know the difference...

I have a 4 slab kitchen and silestone in my powder room.....I used to hang out here about 10 years ago.....:0)

I now have rental houses. I do whole kitchen and bath makeovers pulling a LOT of materials out of the Restore. This is my latest project and I've never seen this granite before...

This post was edited by nicole__ on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 17:18

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Nicole,
    I agree with Trebuchet. It is a Silestone. The local Expo had this and it was one of my favorites. Don't remember the name though.
    Best of luck!

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My photography skills must be lacking.....:0(

It's NOT silestone.....
    :0)
    Yes.....I know the difference...I have the piece right here....

• User
    9 years ago

An engineered stone of some sort. If it has little quartz ''jewels'' in it, it's a Cambria.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

nichole_

Let's see a picture of the back. I'll bet it's a uniform gray. Hundred bucks to your favorite charity if that isn't estone.

• Dtrivi2209
    9 years ago

I want to say that is Silestone because I ALMOST got the same one for my kitchen....but I'm not trying to add fuel to this fire

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

Cambria Canterbury

This post was edited by deickhoff0 on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 21:40

• Dtrivi2209
    9 years ago

^^^^^Thats it I'm almost positive!!!

• loyalandtrue
    9 years ago

It looks similar to Silestone Blue Sahara which I had considered for my remodel.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

I don't know what it is, but it's not a natural stone. The only rock that would have a texture like that would be something like a pebbly conglomerate, but even that doesn't really match. Do you have a more close-up photo?

Regardless, it doesn't matter what it is so long as you love it. Congrats on a great find!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Looks very much like the one in this houzz link.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Cambria Canterbury[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/cambria-canterbury-quartz-phvw-vp~3511069)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Most granites have a super glossy finish, where estone has a gloss that is broken up by the "snakeskin" pattern created by the polyester surrounding the quartz particulates. A low level light picture will tell the tale.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are more pictures.......

Up close....see how uneven the stone sizes are? See how it varies all over....I don't see a filler? It's a HUGE step above any Quartz I've ever seen if it's a fake.....

I do agree....it looks like Cambria Canterbery....???

I'm having verde tunas installed in this house for the kitchen....the templater is coming over this afternoon....I'll ask him. We'll have an answer shortly.....

This post was edited by nicole__ on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 9:41

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Hmm. I love a geologic puzzle like this.

The edge-on picture looks more like granite, because the grains are a variety of shapes and sizes. The front and back views really do not look like typical granite. The reason is that most of the minerals are approximately the same size and shape. I'm not tying to make a case either way, but describing what's there compared to a more typical stone.

In almost all rocks, each type of mineral has a characteristic size and shape. In granite, feldspars (pink, light grey, or white) are usually the largest minerals and they have a blocky, roughly rectangular shape. Darker grains will be amphibole or biotite and in both cases they have a needle-like shape, or a flat flake shape. And they are small. So they look like little black flecks. Quartz is clearish-grey and fills in the spaces left by other minerals. So it has a very irregular shape.

Your first pic especially shows all the minerals being more or less rounded and fairly similar in size. That's why it does not look like normal granite. It actually resembles a sedimentary rock where each grain was tumbled and rounded by a stream, and then all deposited together and compressed back into a rock form.

But, the edge-on pic does look more like granite, but it's still a little outside the norm.

I just did some googling for 'granite with rounded grains' which led to a pic of Baltic Brown granite. That could be a match. Check out the pictures of that and see what you think.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

karin...no, not baltic brown. I have that on a pedestal in my garden.

I've been googling granite with copper flecks. The flecks are what seems odd to me. I've never seen a mica that looks copper????

It may be some HUGE breakthrough in quartz....? I can't see the uniformity....or filler. i'm cutting an inch off the back of it for the install....that might be telling...?

Here's the silestone piece that I used in another bathroom....I can see the difference....it's an easy call. And....it cut like butter...this is a banjo countertop...

This post was edited by nicole__ on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 9:39

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I was in an office building that had Baltic Brown in the bathrooms yesterday. The OP's photos do not look like it. I did, however, marvel at how regular the shapes and patterns were in a natural stone. The minerals are larger in the BB than what OP shows. Anyhoo, carry on. I am fascinated.

Ed. to add, I tried a Google search, too, "granite with small particles and copper flecks." Closest I came was this one, unidentified, don't even know if it's granite:

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 9:42

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Mica can definitely look like copper. It frequently takes on a metallic look. Do those pieces have a flat shape or a blocky shape? (you need to look at the corners of your piece to determine the answer to that)

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

My last house came with a very uniform looking brown granite like that. I've seen it called Tropic Brown and Tropical Brown. That could be it.

• User
    9 years ago

The rear of it seals it. That's e-stone. 100% positive. That's Cambria Canturbury. For sure. Cambria is the leader in creating patterns that look more like natural stone. They have a machine that does nothing but make those faceted little copper inclusions. Or blue faceted quartz pieces, etc. Many of their colors contain those in various colorways. It's one of their trademarks that I've not seen any other make reproduce as well.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I pulled up this site....it looks exact....I could use it in the 2nd bathroom and it would be a match in my opinion....which is why I'm asking.....:0) I want more!

Edited to add: I just found this old post on pricing....that's high!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1215192811589.html

This post was edited by nicole__ on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 11:26

• cawaps
    9 years ago

Giallo fiorito has a similar look.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cawaps....yes. I might have to use a giallo....not paying $165 a sq foot....Yikes! I have an 18"x18" vanity in the 2nd bath....glad it's soooooooooooooo small now......was thinking of making it bigger.....:0) They "had" other scraps, which sold....I hope they get more in....

DH loaded the counter in my SUV....to take to the remodel and ask the templater what it is....so I'll wait to confirm till this evening....

• User
    9 years ago

Find a local Lexus distributor of Cambria. They will sell to you by just the square foot that you need, based on market costs. In my market costs, it's around $75-$80 a square foot, plus any cut out charges.

Here's a photo of the Canterbury sample sitting on my desk if there's any doubt.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

live_wire_oak.....I don't think it looks like that....mine has darker pieces in it....and grey veining....?

When DH carried it out, he said there's a picture of a dragon on the back of it, like a stamp and an American flag?

This post was edited by nicole__ on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 12:06

• PurpleEyes_GW
    9 years ago

Well Cambria is made in the USA, and I believe their company mascot is a dragon...

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

Yes, Cambria's mascot/logo is definitely a dragon! I saw it on one of my pieces.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I showed it to the templater. He says he's no expert...says it's manufactured and not cambria....but if the dragon is their logo, what else could it be....? So I have the granite back at "my" house....here's the pic of the dragon and flag I didn't notice before....

Do you still think it's Cambria Canterbury?

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK>>>>I googled the Cambria site and the dragon matches their logo....it's Cambria Canterbury.....

Here is a link that might be useful: www.cambriausa.com site with dragon logo

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I'm sure the folks at Cambria will be delighted to read this thread.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

trebruchet.........Yah....is it real or is it Cambria?

I'm happy to know it's readily available and liked well enough to buy scraps at the Restore....

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

"real" cambria...and a beautiful one too. I thought about that particular one for my kitchen.