Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walnut Tops AND Danby Marble in Today!!!

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 16:04

The marble guys are still here-- freaking out. LOVE it so much! I will post pics later! : )

Drawer/Door fronts going in tomorrow! Plumber Monday!! Woo-hoo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walnut Tops AND Danby Marble in Today!!!

Yay! Can't wait to see pics

o

I've been searching for updates from your kitchen! I can't wait to see!

o

Where are the pics?( tapping my toes, wiggling my butt, sooo excited). Where are the pics?

o

Ha- well the cabinet fronts aren't on so I'm wondering if I should wait until tomorrow night for the pics?!

o

Wait? You want us to wait for pictures?? Are you crazy??? Do you know what site this is???? We don't care if you don't have cabinet fronts!! We want to see those gorgeous counters!!! Now please!!

Excuse me, where are my manners?

While we understand that you'd really like to show off your kitchen with the cabinet fronts, we'd really prefer not having to wait until tomorrow to see your new counters. So my vote is that you don't wait until tomorrow.

Was that better? :)

o

Oh my gosh, pictures please! I have been following the planning of your kitchen with much interest, so, pretty please?

o

What? wait?

Ok so if I have to wait - what time are you going to post and will that be east coast time or west coast? I'm on the west coast so maybe tell us in west coast time. Thanks.

o

I'll do some within the next 2 hours! lol It's 7:15 pm Eastern Time

o

I was just back to look for pictures. Two hours is a looooooonnnnnnggggg time in Gardenweb TKO time.

o

Getting kids to bed!

o

Go to sleep little fishies so Mama Fishies can satisfy the growing herd of impatient TKOs!

o

Tick tock :)

o

Tapping foot expectantly -- must see Danby marble.

o

OK, here's what I have! Pics aren't capturing the beauty of the wood. Coloring is a bit off...

Vermont Imperial Danby Marble & Walnut Island Top (2" thick)

DSC00214

DSC00215

DSC00216

DSC00217

DSC00218

DSC00223

DSC00229

IMG_1579

IMG_1580

IMG_1581

IMG_1582

IMG_1583

IMG_1584

o

Stunning!!! If its even better than the pictures show then it is beyond stunning. You must feel like you are in heaven now. All your decisions are coming together so nicely.

o

wow, beautiful!! the marble looks so soft. i remember how you were deliberating about your walnut finish and I have to say you made the perfect choice. love it!

o

Nice and esp. the walnut looks awesome! How exciting for you!

o

Beautiful! It all looks so great together, can't wait to see the fronts on too!

o

Stunning counters, both!

o

Love it!!!!!

o

I'm drooling just looking at your pictures. It is amazing! Beautiful marble and wood.....I can only dream. Enjoy your lovely kitchen.

o

Littlefishies - your cabinetmaker is amazing! Beautiful - everything!!!

o

Wow, that was the look I tried to get my GC to understand, the photo of your over-the-sink window compared to mine makes me want to cry. FirstTexasRemodeling just had never heard of most of what goes for standard on this forum.

o

Oh WOW! The marble and the walnut is absolutely stunning. The edges of the marble are so fine, and the colour of the walnut looks great against the floor and the yellow cabinets.

The corners of your perimeter cabinets and at the sink bump-out - are the corners rounded and then tapered into the top and the bottom?. The work on the cabinets is exquisite.

You hired some fine cabinet craftsmen.

o

cindaintx- Thanks and I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with yours! I went over this many times with GC and had MANY photos from GW to help explain what I wanted. Very happy so far with the results.

Thanks everyone ! Looking forward to more progress tomorrow!

o

blfenton, yes all of the corners on the perimeter are like that. I really like the look. Thanks so much!

o

Exquisite. You must be thrilled with the results so far.

o

ohhhh LittleFishies !! I bet you feel like Christmas has already arrived. As everyone said, your counters are magnificent. I look fwd to your reveal!!

o

Woo-hoo!!

Cab doors! Cab doors! Cab doors! Cab doors!

I'm gonna break my sippy cup from slamming it if you don't post them soon.

o

Words fail me. I just can't stop looking at your stunning kitchen!

o

I think I'm in love

o

is it weird that i want to gently bite the edge of your marble counters??

o

Absolutely beautiful. Everything is perfect.

o

That is really gorgeous!! That walnut counter is so rich!! I'm feeling very impatient now to see more pictures!!!

o

Holy. Cow. I don't think I'm the only one out here living vicariously through you. Wowza.

o

Fishies, that is JUST gorgeous!! Did you not notice before you posted that they haven't put the fronts on yet??

Nancy

o

yummy!

o

Oh my! Really,truly beautiful!

o

Wow, those are all beautiful!!

o

Your kitchen belongs in a magazine. When is your photo shoot?? Who is your cabinet maker, might I ask? All of your hard work and planning is paying off!

o

Stunningly beautiful!

o

Thanks everyone!

carp- I laughed out loud b/c I was thinking the same thing last night! Just want to bite it.

Our cabinetmaker is:
http://www.gilreathcabinetry.com/index.htm

I don't think the site is that updated.

o

Gasp...

This is SO beautiful, I just wanna cry! Have been swooning over your pictures for a while now. You are so incredibly lucky to have this fabulous beauty in your home. Enjoy it for years to come!! I will be on a lookout for the finished pictures.

And now, back to reality...( crawls back in the corner, choking back tears)...

o

OMG, I can see why you are so excited. The details on your cabinets (moldings on end panels, carved corners, base moldings) are exquisite. Both countertop choices go beautifully with your countertops. The marble has a lovely "softness" to it. I feel like a total weirdo for saying this, but I want to stroke those marble counters and maybe rest my cheek on them too, lol.

How thick is the marble? We only have 2cm Danby here and I am trying to decide if that is thick enough without building up the edge.

o

Absolutely gorgeous! I can't believe the pics aren't showing off the the true beauty of the wood - it's not possible for them to be any more stunning. In general I'm not a fan of marble, but oh my goodness I love your counters. And your entire kitchen.

o

Wow everyone- such nice compliments! Thank you!

Yes, the marble has a soft look. I purposely looked for slabs that were more on the quiet side as well.

kaysd- Our Danby is 3 cm. It's thicker than I pictured it in my head so I am pleasantly surprised. The walnut is thicker (2") which I think is a nice contrast.

o

I am in love with your walnut countertop. I can't wait to see the whole piece. It is so stunning!!!!!!!! And of course I can't wait to see how the whole kitchen turned out!

o

I may have to copy your kitchen when we finally build our next house or will it be copyrighted ;-)

I love it.

o

Gorgeous Fishies! Congratulations!

o

Love it!!

o

Just beautiful!

o

I love the little sneak peak of walnut under the moving quilt, the last 2 pictures. Such a beautiful color combo. The ends of your cabinets, the little rolled edge, is wonderful and such a nice contrast to the base. These details are crazy cute.

o

Gorgeous! Counters, cabinets, counter-depth windows... all of it! Thanks for the preview.

o

2Littlefishies --
Both the marble and your walnut top are stunning
in a perfect warm and homey way. I love the thickness.
I can't wait to see more pictures. You must be over the moon.

o

Sooo lovely, LittleFishies. :)

o

Ooooh, I cannot WAIT to see this completed kitchen. It is going to be soooo lovely.

o

Looking Gooooooood! I thought you said you were getting your doors and drawers today. Chop chop with the pics there Fishies.

o

: ( No doors/drawers today... MONDAY! ughhh

o

I can't wait to see this beautiful yellow and white kitchen. I suggested something like this to my mother in law. She's being itching for a kitchen renovation too.

o

I love it all!

o

*swoons*
SO GAWJUS. I can't wait to see it completed!

o

Fishies, yours is now my One True Kitchen. So beautiful.

o

Aww- thanks!
mabel- That made me smile : )

WELL, our Thermador Induction cooktop went in (CIT365GM). I brought the marble sample to the store with me SO many months ago and I'm happy with how well they work together.

IMG_1594

IMG_1593

IMG_1592

IMG_1591

o

Simply stunning!! I think I was holding my breath while looking at the pictures because they are so specatcular!! Congratulations on putting together such a beauty!

o

I'll type something meaningful as soon as I wipe all of the drool off of my keyboard...

o

Glorious!! Simply glorious....your marble is so very beautiful. Can't wait to see it all finished, you did a great job.

o

Your marble looks so soft--almost glows! And the walnut looks so rich and warm against the beautiful yellow of your cabs! I can't wait to see your finished kitchen pics! Clearly all your planning and agonizing over every decision is paying off in spades!

o

Until now, I was thrilled for your progress. Now, I am GREEN, yes GREEN with jealousy. Why could not I have come up with a kitchen like this? Seriously, congrats, all your hard work and planning has paid off. It's an amazing space. Best, oldbat2be (hey DH, where do we keep the sawz-all? Um, no reason, just want to borrow it...)

o

Beautiful. Unbelievable that you made creamy yellow and dark brown look soft and inviting.
You are going to LOVE petting every detail and surface in this kitchen.
Congratulations.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 9:25

o

Beeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuutiful!!!!

o

Thanks for sharing with all of us! It's just beautiful!!

o

That's a cool cooktop! When are the doors and drawers going to be put on? Sorry if you already answered this and I didn't see it.

o

Thank You! Well, this thread is sure making me feel good about my choices : )

oldbat2be- Too funny!

Doors/Drawers are supposed to be Monday- keeping fingers crossed!

o

I'm already planning my next kitchen, lol.

Where or WHERE did you get that gorgeous chunk of walnut wood and what did you treat it with? It's exactly what I want for my kitchen island (when I get it)!

o

berardmr- : )

Our cabinetmaker made it (& for less $ than the big names we often see here). It is 108" x 51" (or 52"?) He treated it with Original and then Satin Waterlox for top coat. It is much more beautiful than I even expected. I put waterlox on a cutting board months ago and wasn't in love... This one looks much nicer- perhaps b/c there were professionals working on it? : )

o

Ahhhhh the walnut top is just perfect-it is all lovely!

o

Fishies - you must be so happy!. I know how much you struggled with decisions - but that is all behind you and now it is coming to life.
Wow! It is so gorgeous - Love everything your have done so far - and that thermidor is stunning! I just used my induction to make beef stew - just like a surface crock pot - it held the temp perfectly! Keep those pictures coming!

o

Ok. I'll admit it. My drool has become slobber. This is shaping up to be one seriously good looking kitchen!

o

Simply stunning! Love the walnut and the detail work on the cabinets. Love everything!

o

i just saw this. so very cool. i'm throwing my sippy cup against the wall...

o

I am just catching up with this most beautiful of kitchens. WOW! Is that rolled corner that meets a square corner called a larks beak? I think it is.... Love it. Tell me just a bit about your cabinetmaker and how you decided on him. Did not notice a brand as I scrolled thru the comments. Was it a small independent cabinet company?

o

Lorenza- I don't know what it's called : ) It's something they do standard on their cabinetry. The cab maker is an independent cab company from PA and often works in our area of NJ. Somewhere above I put a link to their website. Our builder gave us his name. They have recently started working with him. Gilreath Cabinetry. We spoke to at least 10 cab makers and decided on him due to a mix of quality, price, reputation, etc. Several GWers have used Dutchwood and they were a few thousand less than our cabs. However, ours was a flat fee and Dutchwood would have added on for some of the things we ended up with so it was very similar. Ultimately, the fact that our guy knows our GC and is in the area a few times a week was the deciding factor between the two b/c it saved me a few trips to PA. I didn't have to go anywhere : )

Thanks for you post!
Fishies

o

Fishies, it looks awesome. I haven't had a chance to properly absorb GW and all your great pictures since before Thanksgiving. I am now sitting down with a few minutes and finally absorbed your kitchen's beauty. I love the Danby, it is always my favorite marble. I love the walnut. And the shade of yellow is absolutely perfect. Congratulations on a gorgeous kitchen. Can't wait until it is all done and we can see it all together.

o

I have figured out this detail is called a "lark's tongue". Yours are fashioned from a radius or bullnose corner. The ones I have seen have been a on a beveled corner. I have visited your cabmaker website. Good stuff

Definiton of a lark's tongue;

A chamfer with a lark's tongue end ... Where a chamfer does not go to the end of the piece, but "lifts out" in a smooth curve, the end is called a lark's tongue.

o

So beautiful already--I can not wait to see the rest!!

o

Truly spectacular! I love the yellow, love the marble, love the wood counter. I cannot wait to see the cabinets once the drawer fronts go on.

o

Stunning, just stunning.

Oh my - be still my heart - did I read correctly that your cabinetmaker often works in NJ? I don't know where you're located but I'm wondering if my area is within his work zone? I'm in South Jersey - the Haddonfield/Cherry Hill/Moorestown area - not too far from the Betsy Ross Bridge to Philadelphia.

o

Just beautiful! Can't wait to see it all done.

o

Did you get your doors today?
Aren't we all waiting patiently to see more pictures?
Best wishes.

o
Drawer front installation and trim detail at bottom of wall cabs

Greetings, we are all eagerly awaiting the "reveal" of the drawer fronts and hardware that will be installed on your fabulous cabs. Please share the info re the trim that was applied to the bottom edge of the wall cabs. Looks like a "mini crown" detail. Seems like the perfect way to conceal a light rail. Love it. How involved were you in the design/plan process? Someone on the project was very very keen and particular about all of the details and nuances. You? Your KD? Your cabinetmaker? Brava Brava Brava

o

francoise- I am disappointed to say no. Are these people all trying to make me CRAZY??? lol
GC pushed them off to Wednesday b/c electricians and plumber were scheduled to finish today and tomorrow and there would be too many people tripping over each other. Cabs were supposed to be last week but the cabinet maker said the finish was not as dry as he'd like. Also some other personal issues I won't go into but now it's on Wednesday.

Lorenza, I was very involved in everything but I must give my cabinetmaker credit for some of the details that he does regularly& I wouldn't have known to ask for : ) babushka cat started a thread asking me about light rails.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about light Rail

o

Wowza wowza woo woo!!!! Sexy, sexy, sexy! Simply gorgeous!

o

Okay, you seriously have to have chat with your GC--I think he doesn't understand how many people are being impacted by the delay.

When I saw there were new posts on the thread, I started chanting "Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts!" Literally.

I'm sure I can't be as excited as you, but I'm very (overly?) invested in your kitchen.

Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts! Drawer fronts!

o

Hi All---

T H E Y ' R E --- H E E E E R R E ! ! !

(see you in about 7 hours....)

o

Wooohoooo!!!

o

I can feel the excitement and so happy for you LittleFishies!

Looking so forward to your reveal.

o

Fishies!!! So exciting, can't wait to see the pictures tonight!

btw--I did not know that is who you used! That place is so close to us!

o

Just stunning! Which version of the Danby is that? I think there are 3-4 varieties of it. That's the nicest Danby marble I've seen!

o

Imperial danby : ). Thanks!

o

OK, here's some quick pics. They are coming back tomorrow to adjust the doors. Also, some things are still missing but this gives you the idea!

DSC00256

DSC00257

DSC00258

There will be paneled refrigerator drawers here...
DSC00259

DSC00261

DSC00262

This will have pocket doors over that middle section...
DSC00263

DSC00264

DSC00265

DSC00266

ISLAND

DSC00268

DSC00270

DSC00271

DSC00272

DSC00273

DSC00274

OK, that's IT for now! I really am so happy but I still have to go around and make a list of anything that needs to be fixed up over the next few days so it's hard to enjoy the positive when I'm looking for negative! lol

o

Oh, those are squeal-worthy!!!!

Just bee-autiful!!!

o

OMG that is completely amazing. I want to touch those beautiful cabinets and open all the drawers. That yellow against the marble counters is to-die-for gorgeous!!

o

This is so lovely! So happy for you fishes! What is the first thing you plan to cook?

o

IMG_1668

Thanks, Bee, Taggie and Lalitha! The first meal is still up for discussion here : )

o

Breathtaking!

o

Beautiful cabinets. I really like the mix of the pulls and knobs - especially the glass knobs. They add just a touch of femininity which goes so well with the marble. I can't wait for the final reveal.

o

OOOOHHHH. YUMMMMMM
It just keeps getting better and better.
Thank you again for sharing. Beautiful.
I want to come and open every drawer and pet the inhabitants.
(Hmm. Maybe that doesn't sound as complimentary as I meant it.)
I envy you the space and the imagination and the creativity to make this happen.

Did I say OOOOHHHH. YUMMMMMM?

o

The prettiest yellow cabinets in the world!

o

Oh my goodness! Those are really gorgeous. I love them!

o

More, more, more! I can't wait! I could lick your cabinets. That would be rude, I suppose, but really, I could.

o

Oh my, your kitchen looks AH-mazing!!! Wow, I am loving every detail I am seeing. I love the buttery look of the yellow, the glass doors, the shiny hardware, oh boy!
I would love some details on the faucet you chose for your Whitehaven sink. I also will be putting the Whitehaven in my kitchen and am having a time figuring out which faucet to choose. Did you pick the same one as your prep sink, that has a great look to it. Congrats, can't wait to see the big reveal!

o

momm2nk- Thanks so much! Both faucets are the Moen Woodmere.

o

Fishes - how wide are those big drawers near the small sink? Is that your prep location?

o

unbelievable how beautiful it is. The color is still so yummy every time I see it. I am just in awe! Well done!

o

lalitha- They are 42". They were supposed to be half that size but then (after getting positive feedback here) I requested they be one drawer. I think it will be great : ) That is my baking area.

p.ball2- Thanks! I think my months of painting every yellow on my old cabs and pieces of cardboard paid off. Thank goodness I didn't go with some of my other choices. This one is really beautiful. Every now and then in certain light I think I might have done it a little weaker so it would be slightly less saturated but 90% of the time it is perfect : )

o

Love it, love it, love it, love it!!
You must be so happy. I love the clean lines, the warm yellow with the beautiful marble! Congrats!

o

Truly beautiful!

o

OMG: your kitchen is gorgeous!!!

Is there another post w/ details?
I saw the one on the diamond mark on the island.

Because I have several questions:
1. where is your marble seam (from cooktop to sink window)?
2. what stain (if any) and poly finish on your bb?
3. where did you get the crystal knobs? what size are they?

thank you very much for your help,
Amanda

o

huango- You saw the most recent posts. I didn't post details yet.

The marble seam is at the cooktop but not in the center of it. It's about 3" from the cooktop's right edge.
No stain on the walnut... just Satin Waterlox (first 3 coats are original and last coat is satin)
The crystal knobs are by Emtek and are 1 1/4".

HTH : )
Fishies

o

Fabulous, Fishies!!! Those counters--all of them--are the stuff of dreams! I'm so happy for you, you certainly waited long enough and sweated enough through this process! And I adore the color of your cabinets. It's perfect with the warmth in your Danby.

Can't ait to see the final, final pics!

Madeline :)

o

the yellow of your cabinets is the most beautiful yellow I've ever seen!

gorgeous kitchen!

o

stunning. you picked the perfect yellow. Love your walnut island.

o

Fishies- I am awestruck! Fantastic.
I know I was one who convinced you to go 42 inches. Be sure they add extra mounting screws and use the heavy duty(150 lb) glides.
Weigh your drawer and what you put into it.
Still working on the final fix for mine.

Now- the part where you will shine to an even higher level if this is even possible! The final decorating- you are so talented in this area!

Usual iPhone goobers. :-)

o

Stunning! So comforting! Love your colors, counters, cabinets, hardware - just everything!

o

Wowza! Just gorgeous, as everyone has already said - congrats!

o

Oh my so pretty. I am so in love with the color of the lower cabinets. Such a yummy color!

Who makes your pulls? I like the shape of the pulls.

o

Thanks All! The guys are coming on the 26th to finish. Long story, but not done yet.

firsthouse mp- The pulls are from Renovation hardware... Thank you

o

Any update? Do we get to see the refrigerator drawers? The island in its done state? The beautiful sink? Backsplash? We are all waiting for the final reveal and are super excited for you (and for us to be inspired!!!).

o

This kitchen is so amazing. I've failed to comment on that out loud, though. So, please know, I've been ooh'ing and aah'ing and gulping and gasping every time I see it.

What's really incredible, to me, is how built-in-place it looks, while managing to be so modern and fresh. It just seems like it has always been there - untouched.

I have kitchen envy!

o

Almost done! I will put up pics in the final reveal! lol

Steph- Thank you SO much! I can't believe it is actually 98% done and is REAL!!
Just waiting on backsplash and the banquette install. Probably a couple more weeks!

o

Almost done! I will put up pics in the final reveal! lol

Steph- Thank you SO much! I can't believe it is actually 98% done and is REAL!!
Just waiting on backsplash and the banquette install. Probably a couple more weeks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here