Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grannabelle

Under Cabinet Lights - Location

grannabelle
16 years ago

i originally posted this on the lighting forum, but got no responses...i wanted my uc lighting in the front of the cabinets, as i thought that that is what most people recommend for maximum work area light....came home from work, to find the electrician mounted them in the back saying something about the wire being visible if he mounted them in the front (??? - we have light rails)...should i have them moved to the front??

thanks

Comments (23)

• pinar
    16 years ago

Yes, I think so.

If you install them in the back, you will see them more, from far away, sitting down etc.

Even if you will see the wire, which he can tuck away along the molding, it is better than seeing the entire fixture in my opinion.

Good luck!
    Pinar

• alku05
    16 years ago

Yup, they should be in the front! You'll only be able to see the wire if you look under the cabinet. Here's a picture of under my cabinet and then a front view of the same one:

No wire shows unless you're looking for it.

• kulagal
    16 years ago

Alku05: What kind of lighting did you install for your under cab lighting? It looks so neat and tidy. Plus I like the fact you can't see your plug mold either. Well done!

• alku05
    16 years ago

I believe they are GE fluorescents, but I can't guarentee it. I told my GC that I didn't care what brand they were as long as they didn't buzz or flicker and that he put warm white bulbs in them. We really like them, whatever they are.

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

I mounted mine in front and used a special molding to hide the wires similar to this but running front to back under the cabinets. Either way you cannot see anything from the front.

{{!gwi}}

• kulagal
    16 years ago

Weed30: As I said to Alku05 your undercab lighting, too, is done really well. Did you also use florescent bulbs? What is the name of the actual mounting? It really gives off a nice glow. Thanks for the info!

• franki1962
    16 years ago

Our lights ended up near the back of the cabinets. I can't say I actually gave this much thought and my contractor installed as he saw fit.

sorry for the BIG pic

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

Mine will be in the front,with the wires tucked into the groove in the molding which acts as a light rail. Zenon I think. Sue

• Gil Roschuni
    16 years ago

Ours are mounted in the front as well with the plugmold in the back. The wires were routed through a hole drilled through the bottom of the cabinet to the countersunk hole the lights fit into. Putting the lights at the front evens out the light on the backsplash and gives more light up front where you are working. Here's how they look installed:

{{!gwi}}

• weed30 St. Louis
    16 years ago

kulagal: Mine are GE fluorescents, I got them at Home Depot. There are 3 different types - "good" "better" and "best" - I got "best". Not sure why GE thinks they were the "best", but I wanted the thinnest units, so they fit the bill. You will recognize them because they have the curved diffuser instead of squared off.

You can install separately, or they link together. My electrician linked them and then ran the line to a switch, so I had the choice of using the switch to turn them all off, or I could use the individual switch on each unit.

Replacement bulbs are readily available, but make sure you get the right ones - they make 'cool' and 'warm'. I think 'warm' is the better one color wise. I have since moved, so I don't remember for sure.

• weed30 St. Louis
    16 years ago

frankie1962 - to resize an image, use the following code:

So yours would be:

The result is this:

• jimandanne_mi
    16 years ago

I wanted ours to be in the front, but was outvoted by the electrician, the lighting store consultant, a builder who has been advising us on various aspects of our build (we're owner-builders), and my husband. They're zenon, several inches deep, maybe 1" high, with a 3/4" light rail across the front of the cabinets. They're only under the corner cabinets, my desk, and a dish alcove that's set back in the wall.

They look fine in the back, the light is good, and I can't see them (I'm 5'4") from most locations. The table isn't in the adjoining eating area yet (on the other side of the peninsula), but most of the uc lights are not in a direct line of view from the table. We'll see.

Anne

• franki1962
    16 years ago

weed30, thanks...HTML is not my strongsuit

• ntt_hou
    16 years ago

I got the GE Premium, similar to those of Franki1962. Mine were installed toward the front so I could easily reach the switches from my wheelchair. If you have small kids, that would be a plus for them too. This was my electrician's advised since he understood my needs.

Bringing the lights toward the front, the light even out toward the countertop much more. I'm glad I did it that way.

• weed30 St. Louis
    16 years ago

franki1962 - it's not my strong suit either...but I have learned a few helpful tricks over time :)

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

I am trying to decide where I am going to put mine because they are supposed to be installed on Monday. Since I have recessed lights that light the front of the counters well, I thought it might provided better balanced lighting in the middle or back. Anyone have any thoughts on it? Also, I have light rail molding that will go on before the kitchen is finished, but I will have a kitchen table that will not be counter height. Will they also be less noticeable at the back when sitting at the table?

Sue

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Sue ct, actually I think uc lights are less noticeable when mounted at the front of the cabinet, especially if they are the thin, narrow fluorescent type.

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

We've got xenon undercabinet lighting. Like franki we hadn't given it any thought and left it up to the electrician to install them. He did install them in the back and it works really well. I can't see them and they light the space so well that they are often the only lights I turn on in the kitchen.

This question has been discussed in this forum before and my feeling is that it's very much a question of personal preference.

• monroviamom
    16 years ago

We went with the undercabinet xenon task lights (Pegasus) & placed them in the center -- I wanted more light on the actual counter, less washing the backsplash. It has worked great.

• colorlady
    12 years ago

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to add that I am sitting here at my kitchen counter as my electrician is putting in my undercabinet lights. I wanted them in front, he said they should be in back. So I had him install one in front and one in back so I could then decide which effect and look I like best. I highly recommend this strategy.

• Natalie B
    7 years ago

colorlady, what did you decide (front or back) and why?

• friedajune
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The only reason to install toward the back is because it's easier for the electrician. Installing toward the front means the electrician has to twist around more, crane his neck more, and make (a 3-minute) effort to hide the wires.

Installing toward the front has the advantages of:

- lighting is shed on the center of the counters where it is needed. If they are Installed toward the back, the lighting is mostly shed on the backsplash. You are spending money for this task lighting; don't you want it to light your tasks?

- the light strips cannot be seen from a sitting position because they are hung directly behind the light rail. If you install the lighting toward the back you will be able to see the light strips, even the tiny LED strips.

Remember, you will be living with this lighting for years to come, while your electrician has moved on and you and your UCLs are long forgot.