lmgch
9 years ago

we're planning for a wall of ovens

wolf 30" on bottom
wolf 30" combi steam right about that
and then wolf micro with 30" trim kit at top of stack

i had been very on the fence about whether to go combi steam or speed oven

opted to go the steam route, but i'm still somewhat second guessing that

i have time before i need to order - wondering if it would make sense to swap out the traditional microwave for the speed oven?

thanks for the thoughts

Comments (12)

• Teehee1984
    9 years ago

We did the speed cook (advantium) and it is really great! I wasn't sure how the advantium would look over the wolf so I did the ge monogram oven (pro handles). We are now using the speed cook more than anything else. My husband first pooh-pooded it, but he really has fun with it now. It makes great baked potatoes FAST. I don't know if the miele is better? We will see how the advantium holds up over the long haul.

We don't have a separate microwave now. No need.

• Shelley Graham
    9 years ago

We were all set to get the same Wolf ovens until we went to the appliance store and saw the Miele ovens. The new Miele combi steam oven is far superior to the Wolf, and less expensive, too. Ditto on the 30" oven. We are still getting a microwave, although unsure how much we will use it. We will get a Sharp drawer model.

Good luck!

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

We have the exact same set up and appliances/ovens as Teehee1984 and we just love the speed oven. Works well as both an oven and a microwave.

The question you should ask yourself is how often you actually use your current microwave. My husband and I have no kids,/heat up heat-and-eats, so we rarely heat things up in a MW. I used to joke that my MW was just a huge, fancy timer.

The speedoven requires having to switch out a glass tray (for MW cooking) to metal plates/wire rack (for speedoven cooking). If you are using your MW several times a day and then needing a smaller oven for a dinner for two, it might get annoying having to change out the innerds so often. You also have to wait for the speedoven to cool down before switching it from one type of oven to the other. Just some things to think about before deciding to forgo a separate MW/Double Oven combo. I love mine and would recommend it highly to a household that cooks more like I do (very little MWing, and more oven-made meals that sometimes need a little extra "boost" to be ready sooner).

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, guys

interesting re: miele being "far superior" to the wolf ovens. why do you believe this? the appliance woman i've been working with is firmly assuring me that "nothing is better than wolf for performance and reliability re: temperature consistency, and accuracy." she is a friend of a friend and I do know she actually has the wolf ovens in her home, so I don't think she's just blowing smoke so to speak.

hmm..

i do use the MW to heat food - my younger child who is not yet in school tends to eat dinner leftovers for lunch. But I don't think the switching of trays would bother me too much b/c I don't necessarily use an actual oven on a daily basis.

Really I'm just thinking that if I'm going to use that space for a MW anyway. And I was on the fence about the speed oven b/c i read so many great reviews...maybe it makes sense to have the speed oven put into the MW space. than i have the best of both worlds

however, do you think it will look poorly with the wolf wall ovens?

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

Here are ours. The difference doesn't bother me a bit. I tend to worry more about whether the tools work and not how "matchy" they are ;)

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, guys

interesting re: miele being "far superior" to the wolf ovens. why do you believe this? the appliance woman i've been working with is firmly assuring me that "nothing is better than wolf for performance and reliability re: temperature consistency, and accuracy." she is a friend of a friend and I do know she actually has the wolf ovens in her home, so I don't think she's just blowing smoke so to speak.

hmm..

i do use the MW to heat food - my younger child who is not yet in school tends to eat dinner leftovers for lunch. But I don't think the switching of trays would bother me too much b/c I don't necessarily use an actual oven on a daily basis.

Really I'm just thinking that if I'm going to use that space for a MW anyway. And I was on the fence about the speed oven b/c i read so many great reviews...maybe it makes sense to have the speed oven put into the MW space. than i have the best of both worlds

however, do you think it will look poorly with the wolf wall ovens?

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hsw sc, thank you! we must have cross-posted and i didn't see this til now

so to clarify, you've got a wolf wall oven there below? and an advantium above?

i need to look at models and specs to see if it would be basically the same space as a MW

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

That is correct! Monogram Advantium and a Wolf single E series, both with pro handles.

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks! and do you have the 120 or the 240?

reading older threads it suggested that the 120 offered thermal baking, but the 240 did not

unsure if that's still the case

thank you!!

• Teehee1984
    9 years ago

My understanding is - they do the same thing except the 240 is faster. The main question is the wiring. For the 240 you'll prob need to run new wiring. If you don't want to do that, go for the 120. The advice we were given was that if you're going to do the speedcook, go all the way and do the 240.

I have space issues so the advantium fits the bill for us.

I think the advantium over the wolf looks great! That wolf oven is spectacular. The ge monogram isn't bad; I like it. But it isn't wolf. On the other hand, I mostly use the speedcook these days.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

just for reference:
    we have the wolf "E" series oven below and miele speed oven above... looks fine
    as stated above, buy what u need and don't worry about looks.
    hate matchy-matchy anyway, JM .02
    also, if u r going speed oven route, definitely do 240v, worth it.

we use our speed oven daily and absolutely love it...
    love wolf oven also, win-win for us
    installed 3 years....

• brightm
    9 years ago

As others have said, think about how often you MW and what else you might have going at the same time. About once a week we'll have a 'forage' night where DH and I eat more or less together but one might have left overs and one might have soup, etc. we often have to coordinate who will do what and where and when. He was heating some pizza in the speed oven and I would have normally nuked my soup. So, I put it in a pot on the stove Instead. SaMe thing for little things like melting butter or boiling water. I use the stove to more than I used to. Fine for us, but I can see it not working for some.