Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barnhouse2010_gw

any and all ideas welcome for small kitchen re-model

barnhouse2010
12 years ago

Hi,

I am seeking any and all ideas for remodeling our small kitchen. We bought our house about a year and a half ago, and have been making small changes, but at some point we will need to tackle the kitchen- We plan on replacing all the cabinets - although it is hard to see, our main storage is a wood filing cabinet! The lighting will also need to be addressed as the current lights are floodlights sticking off from the beams. We hope to add a dishwasher and farm sink. I am going to include a couple of other pictures of the house so you can get a general idea of the look of the house. Would love to hear your ideas!

Comments (35)

• uroboros5
    12 years ago

You just need a few pendants, a glasstop stove and a better countertop!

• Linda
    12 years ago

What a neat home and an amazing view!!! I'm no expert and am kind of a "newbie" on here now, too, but I know it is helpful if you post a floorplan (of kitchen and its relationship with adjacent rooms) and measurements, etc.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

With your table so close I would do away with counter seating. To add storage I would bring it out as a straight peninsula and do cabs on both sides. I agree a farm sink would be great in your setting. I love Timber Frame! Since you have a lot of wood going on I would consider painted cabs. (i.e. gray, blue, green, red, yellow). It will let your floors and beams stand out and your kit will too. Really nice home.

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Could you turn your table the other way, to align with the window, and then extend your kitchen space a foot or two? Just an idea, it's hard to tell if it would fit without the measurements.

• kawh707
    12 years ago

a counter-depth refrigerator will help a lot-- or put the 'fridge a little farther down so it is not so "in your face." new counters. or possibly, on the right, do a long line of floor to ceiling cabinets like we have in our new kitchen (different style, obviously).(view at my posting... google "finally almost finished" and my initials kawh and you should find pix. such a lovely, rustic home-- i think you can do very little to update.
    kawh

• barnhouse2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

okay, first, can i tell you how much i love this site?! already things have been posted that i never even considered!! i will try to get the dimensions posted so that there is a little more information to go on. thanks so much. (also, @eandhl, i definitely agree with you about the painted cabinets- i would love some contrast - i initially was thinking the martha stewart cabinets at home depot (maidstone in fortune cookie) http://www6.homedepot.com/marthastewart/kitchen/index.html, but, i am not positive- so looking for feedback on colors and counter tops too! :)

• EATREALFOOD
    12 years ago

Your house is beautiful, whatever you do will just make it even more beautiful, even small things make a difference.
    I agree with eandhl, maybe get rid of the counter.
    Painted cabinets will look great. I was drawn to Martha Stewart cabinets also, really nice cozy designs and colors, you can smell the pies baking !...unfortunately I couldn't afford it. We had to put in soundproofing in walls and ceilings and that ate up $$$.

• mamadadapaige
    12 years ago

where I live the range under a window is a code violation for safety reasons... Check into codes in your area to see if this is a potential issue (if you'll be pulling a permit).

• rosie
    12 years ago

What a great house! Looking forward to that diagram.

My first thought is that, to make the kitchen fit in that design, you really need to unclutter it visually while keeping the lines and masses strong and simple, focusing attention on that character.

• barnhouse2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not finished yet, but we're finally making some progress!!! We still need to: bring the wood floor from dining room into the kitchen, add pulls on cabinets and drawers, work on the lighting issues, and add subway tile for backsplash.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I love the color of the cabinets!

• barnhouse2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another before pic:

• barnhouse2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks debrak2008!

• tempe110
    10 years ago

It looks gorgeous! I didn't even realize this was an old thread until I saw you already had the cabinets in...thanks for updating!!

• LoPay
    10 years ago

Very nice.

What are your counter tops. The look like Silestone Yukon Blanco.

• barnhouse2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@LoPay-- the countertops are Caesarstone, London Grey. I am so in love with them!

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Barnhouse2010, you are living in my dream house. It's all about natural elements, textures, lots of windows and wonderful views. I love, love, love your house!!! The new kitchen is warm and beautiful, love the functional layout, cabinet color and counters. Great job! Thanks for the follow-up. Please let us see it after the flooring goes into the kitchen.

• beachpea3
    10 years ago

Barnhouse,

Love your kitchen and your home!!

What color are the cabinets? They are warm and lovely.

Beachpea

• barnhouse2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks beachpea3! The color of the cabinets is Benjamin Moore "Gray" 2121-10.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, I fell in love with your house and only when I saw your new kitchen did I realize it was an older post. Your home is just amazing and I love your new kitchen. What a beautiful transformation!

• barnhouse2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Floors done, hardware done. We just have subway tile and lighting to go!

• deedles
    10 years ago

What a beautiful house!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

It's absolutely gorgeous and a wonderful fit for your home! I think that's nicer than anything I've seen on HGTV in years :)

• barnhouse2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much deedles and lavender lass. This project has been a bit overwhelming because we didn't have a general contractor and just tried to figure things out as we went along. There was a lot of good information on Gardenweb, for which I'm really thankful!

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

How pretty! I love your cabinet color. Can you share what that is please? Your countertops are perfect. It's a fun warm kitchen that I'm sure you'll have a great time creating meals in.

• arch123
    10 years ago

Great kitchen - would love to know more about it. I love the three tier baskets on your counter - makes sense

• barnhouse2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bicyclegirl: thanks so much! The color of the cabinets is Benjamin Moore "Gray" 2121-10. I'm really happy with it as it doesn't read blue or green. The kitchen gets a lot of light, which is maybe why we are able to get away with such a dark color. archie123... what do you want to know?!

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Thanks barnhouse! That color goes so well w/ your stainless! Again, it's a beautiful & fun kitchen. Congrats!

• arch123
    10 years ago

The 3 wire baskets (looks like lemmons inside) on the left on the counter - where did you get this?

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

barnhouse, I think archie's talking about the 3 tier wire basket in the last picture you posted on Nov 9. It's in front of the window on the left. I almost missed it...good eye archie!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

It's so beautiful! I love it.

If I were you, I would not put up subway tile. Your house is so warm with all the wood, the tile will, IMHO, really stand out as cold and hard.

I would just paint the walls. Yes, they may need to be repainted very few years ... still much cheaper and I think it would like nicer for your space.

I do love subway, but not always.

• barnhouse2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@archie123... sorry for the confusion. Here's the link to the fruit basket:
    http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-876607/?affsrcid=Aff0001&CAWELAID=120120820000003598&cagpspn=pla
    thanks bicylegirl! ;)
    @mtnrdredux-- Well, i will definitely consider not putting up the subway tile. It isn't done yet because we are in stall mode right now! The subway tile was always part of the plan because I love them so much. I thought perhaps I would use a grey grout to tie in the cabinets. We'll see-- I'm going to give it another couple of weeks to think about. Thanks for all the feedback!

• chinchette
    10 years ago

I love your space! The beams, the woodwork, your cabinets. I too would call it done and not do the subway tile.

• barnhouse2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Back again! It always takes you longer than you think it will to finish those nagging details. (well, still haven't done the lighting)-- But, here the kitchen is with the subway tile.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Beautiful!! I adore your house. I have only one small suggestion. I would get a rug with some red in it. Not sure why but I feel your kitchen is calling for some red.