Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boxerpups to my Rescue???

Posted by aloha2009 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 16:00

We're really looking at doing a major change of aesthetics to our kitchen design. The kitchen will function basically the same but will look completely different from what we had "decided on". It not only looks better mocked up but solves or minimizes issues that we had with the other design.

Though it looks good in the design program, it would be wonderful to see actual kitchens. I've tried in vain to find things on the internet but haven't managed to come up with anything close.

We are looking at placing three 3' wide windows across approx 10' of wall under the cabinets, ultimately using the windows as a backsplash. What makes it hard to find is we are planning to have the windows 30" tall (top would be 69") off the floor). The cabinets would go above all this.

I have found the super short squatty (18" ish) ones or a bank of higher windows. Nothing in the middle of the range (high enough for 5'3" me & 5'8" DH to see out of, but low enough we can allow for venting and upper cabinets with a far reach).

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boxerpups to my Rescue???

Do you mean to say that the BOTTOM of your wall cabinets will be 69" off the floor? And, those cabinets will be placed above a counter?

o

Actually the upper cabinet would come down 33" to a height of 75" from the floor. I wanted a gap between the top of the window and cabinet so it doesn't look cramped.

o

OK. So, the bottom of your wall cabinet will be 6'3" above the floor? Is that right?

And, in order to get to this bottom shelf, you'll have to reach over a counter top? Is that right?

o

You are again correct and I think I know where you might be going with these questions.

Yes, it is extremely high for reaching items in those upper cabinets. We've tested this scenario with our current top shelf for our cabinets and it is quite the reach. Considering we thought of going topless in our kitchen, though it isn't easy access storage it is storage. I'm able to get out things such as a book, large semi light weight items etc, DH can get more.

o

Gosh,
I promise to start searching a little later.
Just now catching up on Thanksgiving cooking.

I am sure there is something out there.
Have a great Thanksgiving.
~boxerpups

o

You might try the link to see a few samples.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Whoops, I posted in your other thread on this question ...

I think it would look odd and like either an unfortunate mistake, or like maybe you got the windows off Craigslist for a song and tried to cram them into the backsplash area.

In many parts of the house, function takes a backseat to form. And people sort of expect that. But not so much in the kitchen. Have you ever seen a kitchen that had great finishes but a wacky layout and you instantly notice the layout? This would probably fall in that category, like seeing drawers to the ceiling (you'd instantly think, who can reach into the taller ones? Why did they do that?"

o

Library ladder with rail system??? HOUZZ has some nice pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here