Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quelyn_gw

Sink directly opposite cooktop

quelyn
13 years ago

Considering placing my sink in the island but it would directly opposite our cooktop. Does anyone have theirs set up this way? The pros? The cons? How much space should we have between the cooktop and the sink if we do go this route?

I read in some Feng Shui book that this set up is bad b/c fire and water will be in competition....but.....I'd really like to see pics of someone with this set up and get a "feel" for it.

Thanks! I love this forum so much!

Comments (26)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Cons, being butt to butt when one person is sinking and the other is stoving.

Feng Shui, as usually presented in American books, has been trivialized to the point of meaninglessness. Generally, you can take some good design tips from what they say (don't have the stairs lead right out the door, don't put the sink and stove in competition), but real Feng Shui is much more complicated than that, and is a full belief system like any other religion.

Is there a reason why they'd have to be right in line with each other? A lot of builders are fond of situational symmetry, so put a sink smack in the middle of an island, but it's really more useful to one side or other, so that you have a nice, uninterrupted work surface on the long side. Sometimes prep sinks are put on the very end because it's the place that works best with the rest of the design, but for a clean-up sink, it's better to have a space big enough to stack some dishes on the short side.

My prep sink is in my island almost directly across from my cooking area, but only a few inches of it is exposed on that line (it's keyhole shaped, trough and basin). My clean-up sink is less than three feet away on the same run as the cooktops. I've never felt any conflict, and in fact am very pleased with the harmony in my new kitchen. The one area that lacks is the seating, because it's in the middle of a passage from front door to back door. It would be better if I kept the door into the entry closed. It's also the only way I could fit any seating at all, and sometimes we have to play the hand we're dealt. :)

This is the best picture I have of mine. The end of the prep sink trough is to the right at the top of the yellow teapot but you can hardly see it. The clean-up sink is to the right, just beyond that red pan.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

The distance between your sink and cooktop will depend on your layout and how much room you give it. My stove will be across from the end of my fridge and the end of the sink. Our stove is 37" wide and the dw will be directly across from it (24"). I have put room in the plan for doors to open and butts to get past each other. However, I find that when I am using the stove, the dw rarely comes into play.
    If your sink is not too far from your stove, that is actually good for filing pots and draining pasta.
    Try to post a layout and you will get helpful tips.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

My kitchen is a galley. We gutted the room but put the stove and sink back pretty much where it was to begin with. I think there is about 50ish" between the two.

i have a bunch of pics on my blog, linked below. Let me know if you have any questions. I love the layout. Really great for filling/dumping pots.

Both sink and range are kind of in the middle of my counter runs but I have enough counterspace that it doesn't make a difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: sabjimata kitchen

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Great for a prep sink, positively stupid for a working kitchen. Honestly, fen swayed or not...it's a ridiculous set up unless you have NO other options, and in that case I'd move.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Igloochic--did someone hack your account? I am shocked by your post! Just shocked! Lol ;)

I have to politely disagree with the Igloo, Goddess of Beautiful Taste. I love my set-up.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Maybe she drank too much gravy yesterday! I also have the stove to sink set up and wouldn't have it any other way. Plenty of room between is the key. Won't work in a narrow aisle, butt-to-butt. I have over 40" - it's either 42 or 48. Can't measure right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: my sink by range

• doonie
    13 years ago

My prep sink is across a 42" aisle from the rangetop. I had our GC offset ours for 2 reasons. One is that I wanted a larger counter space
    on one end and two is that I was concerned about bootie bumping. (Although since I am the only cook, that really hasn't been an issue.)
    I relied heavily on all these wise minds above when planning my kitchen layout and I've got to say I am so thrilled! It's wonderful
    to chop veggies and then turn around and scoot them into the saute pan, or fill up the pasta pot and then simply turn around to drain it.
    Here's a head on photo.
    {{gwi:1554060}}

• eandhl
    13 years ago

I had that set up in my last kit and loved it. In my present galley we have them on a slight diagonal. I find it very convenient - wash, chop, step across to range. While cooking water is close by to add, lids, or whatever turn around and drop into sink.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Wait :oP I said it was great for a prep sink...and it does work really well in sab's kitchen BECAUSE IT"S NOT THE ONLY SINK! It's great with an offset as well...but if it's the only sink I think it's nutso :oP Too much dueling for the sink when you have hot water etc. I read the OP to say that she/he was placing the sink...not one of a few sinks...directly opposite the stove, which ummm well I'll stand by the nuts statement. Allison your kitchen is gorgeous (even without wine LOL) but you have another sink to go to when the cooking activity is taking place :)

I'll be sure to clarify my original remarks...

"Great for a prep sink, positively stupid (if you have only one sink in your kitchen) for a working kitchen" Better? heh heh And if no other options I'd still move :oP

I need a drink heh heh

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

;) Igloo

• quelyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the responses!
    Just to be clear, it would be my main and only sink.
    At this point, I believe I would have 42" between the cooktop and the sink. I guess it would be more like with Sabjimata's kitchen.
    The island the sink is in will be approx 9 feet long, but not sure if I would like having the sink pushed to one side or centered with stove. Esthetically, I like it centered with the stove, but concerned about bootie-bumping. And the opening and closing of the dishwasher door and trash pullout in relation to the cooktop and frig, if I do off-center the sink.
    Doonie: Where is your dishwasher? Naturally, we would put ours next to the sink, but if we offset like you have it, would have the dishwasher door opening either into the frig or into the cooktop area. Is that going to pose another problem?
    We live in a townhouse and the it would be just for me and the hubs and the occasional guest (seated at the island, preferably!)
    Our original plan for the kitchen did not have the sink in the island at all but on a half wall that looks into the dining area/living room. Which is OK, but by eliminating/knocking down that half wall and moving the plumbing into the island, it would definitely open up the kitchen to the dining area/living room giving the appearance of each being larger. And the flow of the floor plan seems better to me. My only worry being the practicality of butt-butt sink and stove.

I will get a layout posted shortly so you guys can see exactly what I am working with.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I am the only cook in our house unless it is dh making a weekend breakfast and am usually the only 1 cleaning up (dh is conveniently allergic to dish detergent). Our kitchen is miserably small now, so in our new set up, the 1 and only sink will be across from the stove but it will be off to the side mostly and have a good amount of aisle space. If you have the space, it can work fine. Anything would be an improvement over what we have (and make do with) now. I'd actually like to make the sink more directly across so to move the range a little further away from being across from the fridge too, but that would put it too close to our table and would chop up our work space in an awkward way. I am grateful to have the extra room in our new layout and even if it is not perfect, look forward to it.

Not everyone has prep sinks, pot fillers, etc.... Some of us peasants make do with 1 sink (horrors!) and have other considerations in mind when laying out our spaces.
    Oh, and moving is not always feasible or preferable either, lol.

• doonie
    13 years ago

quelyn, I didn't realize that it would be your only sink. We have a cleanup sink on the opposite wall, so our dishwasher is in that aisle.
    After reading your description, I think I would go back to having the only sink on the half wall like you had originally planned.
    The problem with the island placement, like you noted, is the dishwasher placement. The other option would be moving the sink further
    down the island so it's not conflicting with the stove, but I would be very hesitant about placing it directly across from the stove.
    It would end up being a real bottle neck in your lovely new kitchen in my opinion.

Posting your layout will help. There are some really good layout eyes on this forum.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Allison your kitchen is gorgeous (even without wine LOL) but you have another sink to go to when the cooking activity is taking place :)

Thank you, igloochic. We do have a tiny sink in the coffee station hutch, outside the kitchen, but we never use it. Ever. Should have left the hutch without it.

• doonie
    13 years ago

So, see, Allison has her sink across from the stove and it works great for her!

Everyone's spaces are unique and most of us have to work within the architectural frameworks we are given. (My problem was that my
    kitchen was longer and narrower than I would have chosen given an ideal world.)

It looks like the key to that setup is a wide enough aisle. Am I correct that the consensus would be at least 42" of space? (I do
    have that amount between my prep and rangetop and I find that there is plenty of room for 2 bodies to easily navigate.

Alison, do you have DW drawers or a traditional DW? (Just curious, for the benefit of the OP, how that works for you?)

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

I'm probably doing that in my new kitchen; there's never any other butt cooking than mine so I'm safe.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I have Dishdrawers to the right of sink. Double. Never use the bottom one and given a do-over would get a single. Garbage pull-out left of sink (under towel/calendar drawer).

fwiw, DH and I are normal size people. Not short/small or large/overweight. DH likes to cook (although I do run him out of the kitchen for holidays, as I like to do those myself) and I like to clean. We don't get in each others way.

• quelyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think, Doonie, you're right. The key is having ample space in the aisle. I took a second look at Allison's kitchen and I noticed the wide aisle between the cooking area and sink. It is possible for us to push the island out a few inches, I was overly concerned because (like Allison) we have a coffered ceiling (my favorite part of the kitchen!) and I was trying to line up the middle of the island with a beam. We are choosing not to do hanging pendants (again like Allison) as I like a more wide open appearance. But I guess I was over-symmetricalizing (yep, new word!) the arrangement of the island to the ceiling beam. My husband has the plan with him at work so this is a horrible chicken scratch drawing of what we have going on (he is a custom cabinet maker, not a KD, but a cabinetmaker. So we have many, many, many arguments about LOOKS vs. USE & FLOW. I am positive our kitchen will LOOK beautiful, I also want to make sure it works as beautifully.) Part of the reason for the change in design is I would like to have a wall oven microwave combo. If we stuck with the old plan of having the sink on the now existing halfwall looking into the dining room, there is no room in the layout for the walloven micro combo. By knocking down the wall and moving the sink and dw and trash to the island, it opens up space in the once blind corner cabinet area of the wall oven combo. Hmmmmm, hadn't put much thought into doing dw drawers. We are doing an integrated frig and integrated dw (since the kitchen is at the front of the townhouse and the room you walk into upon entry, but drawers could work that way as well...hmmmm....
    Posting our current layout in next post will do the layout we are thinking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Current Plan

• quelyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

revised plan - please excuse if this posted numerous times...

Here is a link that might be useful: Revised Plan

• quelyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Urgh, maybe this link will work...

Here is a link that might be useful: revised plan, again

• doonie
    13 years ago

It looks like you will be losing some counter space with the revised plan, but from what I am hearing you say, I think that's the one you prefer?

Even with the longer island, it looks like you would lose a about 3 linear feet of counter. Can you compare the amount of counter space you have
    now to these 2 plans and see if that would bother you?

Your vision with the beam seems to fall more in line with the open space that you indicated, which would be the revised plan.

Ultimately it's what works for you and fits in with how you cook and clean up. It's just a little scary figuring it all out though;)

• PRO
    FIFTH Element
    3 years ago

No offence to anybody, but the question was about Feng Shui, which is the law of energy flow. Not a single person answered it but everybody had something to chime in which was utter nonsense.

If your stove and sink are across from each other, you will suffer financial issues, relationship issues or arguing. The remedy can be putting a red rug in between, or a crystal that hangs from the ceiling in the middle dispersing the energy (which might look weird).

• PRO
    Sans Souci Design
    12 months ago

The sink, cooktop, and island aligned for symmetry is popular now, but it seems to constrain the kitchen to a single actor. We always try to put sink and cooktop as part of the classic triangle, to allow multiple actors at the same time. Here’s an example.

• PRO
    Sans Souci Design
    12 months ago
    last modified: 12 months ago

And another design that incorporated the work triangle.

• Paul NY 5b-6a
    12 months ago
    last modified: 12 months ago

It's been interesting to read this, because for my galley kitchen I sort of liked the idea of placing the range directly opposite the sink, but abandoned it for another reason: the sink is under the window, which is not going to be moved, but where I most want symmetry is on the opposite side. Currently it has the range and one end and the fridge at the other, and I want to move the range to the middle, not only for symmetry, but also to have a landing zone on each side. The range will be across from the largest prep area, which is next to the sink.