Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mm80205n

Help! which kitchen layout

mm80205n
9 years ago

We were given 2 different layout of the kitchen which one do you guys think makes more sense? If we use the left wall for the fridge I'm limited with the island and it's been my dream to have a big island with seating, if we put the fridge in the corner I'm worried the opening of the doors will annoy me (its a french door) I know i need to sacrifice a few things, but I'm having a hard time making the decision

Comments (9)

• mm80205n
    Original Author
    9 years ago

or this one?

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I don't like the upper corner cabinets in either. How do you picture using an island?

I'd pick #2 except for the corner cabinet.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 20:31

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

I prefer # 2 because in #1, the corner by the fridge is going to be like a black hole.

In #2, can you move the sink to under the window? I think you'd prefer your island without a sink or with a smaller prep sink. Also, be sure you leave a spacer between the fridge and wall, even if your current fridge doesn't require it. My inlaws want to go from a fridge like you show to a side by side, but when their neighbor with same layout recently did that, the door does not open fully.

Good Luck!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

What a lovely big window!

How much room is there to the right of the stove? Without dimensions, that looks a little tight. What is to the right of the wall ovens?

I don't like the fridge placement in #1 - I think that top left corner would be a bit of a cave. But in #2, you have that tiny upper cab between the fridge and window - in my experience, any upper cabinet less than 15" wide is pretty useless, and it looks very disproportionate with the larger cab on the right side. By the time you put a filler to the left of the stove (your fridge specs should tell you how much you need), you don't have room for an upper cab to the right of the fridge.

I agree with debrak about the corner cabinet - those angled upper corners tend to be giant black holes. Easy-reach would be much better.

What is your plan for the bump-out in front of the window? I can't tell what the black square is supposed to be, and since you show drawers there, it's not a prep sink.

Where do you plan to prep? There isn't really room on the island, with a big sink in the middle.

Will you have a dishwasher? Where? It looks like it should go to the left of the sink - but you have no place for dish storage nearby.

Do you need island seating, when you have a table a few steps away?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I would move the sink under the window (not because I think sinks need to be under windows - I don't - but because I like the fact it will give you uninterrupted working space on the island). Then, to address ann's concerns, I'd put the dishwasher to the right of the sink, the trash to the left, and I'd have dish drawers in the island, but facing the sink (in other words, they would open toward the dishwasher, thus making it easy to put your dishes away). No. 2 is more polished looking imho.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

I've had a French Door refrigerator against a wall that limited my ability to open one drawer fully. Just make sure you don't do that to yourself. I couldn't remove the drawers for cleaning without moving the whole fridge. I'll leave it to you to imagine how often that actually happened. ;)

• ainelane
    9 years ago

Do you have a formal dining room or will the kitchen be the only place for a table?

I'm not a big fan of having big islands with tons of seating a few steps from a kitchen table, that's why I'm asking about your dining room.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I like the idea of the fridge in the corner. Unfortunately it throws the symmetry of that wall off. Not just visually but weight wise as well. You'll need an elevation of that wall drawn with the fridge in the corner and start playing with the rest of it.

• mattandrews
    9 years ago

I don't like the corner cabinets in #1. I think you will have a hard time to reach for your stuff. Also, the color is too plain and very light. So I'd prefer the layout #2. I like the brown cabinets there.