Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2cohen

Our almost finished kitchen (w/ tile countertops!)....

mom2cohen
13 years ago

Before....

During....

After....

Thank you for ALL your inspiring posts and pictures! I have been lurking around here for months trying to decide on what we will use and how we will set things up! I haven't posted a ton but when I did you all helped me SO much! Thanks again!

*Countertops: Rectified porcelain from blackandwhitetile.com

*Floors: Strand Bamboo from Cali Bamboo

*Appliances: Electrolux from Best Buy Floor Model Clearance Warehouse which we purchased for a little under $350 a piece!!!!

*Cabinets: Ikea

*Silver Barstools: Lowes

* Pottery Barn Porter Pendants

Comments (47)

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

hi mom2co...

Oh MY! Love it! Love the contrast of dark and light. You struck an awesome balance with your backsplash. Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen!

KA:)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Those are tile countertops? Wow! They are gorgeous. As are your cabinets. Makes me want to come sit at the bar and drape myself over it. Do you have a close up photo of the counter?

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

Wow! Wow!!!!! I love the transformation. Cannot believe those are tile countertops..are you sure? :-)

Fabulous job! Enjoy and congratulations.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Classy! Really classy!

• mom2cohen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! Here are some closer up pics of the countertops. Yep, they really are tile :)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Thanks, they are really pretty!

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

Love the dark cabinets and light countertops (guess that's because I just did the same thing!!)...great job...it looks stunning...

• contemporganic
    13 years ago

LOVE IT! I am also going with a darker cab/ light counter design.

Can you PLEASE share more information about your tile countertops? I have been interested in doing something similar (large format whitish tiles). What size tiles are they? How did you handle the edge trim? How did you handle the spacing on the wall counters with the backsplash, cutouts and edges? As many detailed photos as you can share would be GREATLY appreciated!

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! How big are the grout lines in the counter? And what grout did you use?

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I love this kitchen and think the floors were an inspired choice to work with the style.
    I went back a few times to the original photos because I could not believe they were tile at first. Even when you can see the grout lines, it still looks really nice. I am usually not a huge fan of tile counters because I don't like grout on a horizontal surface, but yours are much better than any I have seen before.
    I don't know how you did it, but it looks so much bigger than the old kitchen. The fact that you did it all on a budget makes me appreciate it all the more ;)

• midwifekim
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is hot! I love the moody cabinets and clean counters! The lighting and backsplash work perfectly! Congrats!

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Love your pulley pendants and built-in butcher block--Congratulations on a wonderful transformation!

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. What a transformation!

I am back to considering IKEA for budget reasons. Can I ask who installed your cabinets? How did you decide on IKEA? You did a great job on the design. Lovely, lovely.

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

Really like your counters. Please post more information on your tile and the installation, etc.

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Wowie! Beautiful. I love the color combo and the huge transformation. Great job!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Great choices for a fantastic result! I had to go back to look for tile lines, too. You'd think they'd be more obvious in the glossy surface. REALLY nice job on the whole room. Not a bit like my choices, but I could love this kitchen. Enjoy!

• pip
    13 years ago

So sleek! The tile countertop looks great. You can tell it was well installed - I am typically not a fan of tile counters, but yours looks great.

• mom2cohen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again everyone! Here are some more pics (as requested by several). Also to answer some other questions....

1) The tiles were butt jointed (similar to what they do when they install granite tiles on countertops).
    2) The tiles are 24" square. We purchased them from blackandwhitetile.com because we couldn't find any that large anywhere around us. They are rectified porcelain.
    3) We originally wanted to go with a Matte finish but after playing with several samples we realized that the Matte finish not only scratches but it stains as well.
    4) Our installer had never done this before (yikes) but he did a GREAT job! It took him a LOT longer than he expected!!!
    5) The edges were a challenge as they kept slipping so our installer ended up using some hot glue (it dries much faster than the morter) along with the regular morter.
    6) Our installer used a basic morter (same as he used for the floors in our upstairs bathroom) and a white grout that matched the countertops. Nothing special here just everyday stuff.
    7)As for the cabinents. We purchased them AND installed them ourselves! It took us about 3 weeks start to finish (but we have two kiddos under 3!!!) and we worked in the evenings and on weekends.
    8) Also, for anyone curious about the costs for the countertop project: tile ($200), plywood/backerboard ($75) and installation ($300) That is right....we only paid $575 for our countertops!!!!! YIPPIE

I hope I answered all the questions. Please feel free to ask anything! I had a VERY hard time finding inspiration for "modern day" tile countertops so I want to make sure I help where I can!

Here is a close up of the island.

Here are a couple of edge profiles. We like the square edge but beware....the corners are SHARP!

Since the tile is 24" and the countertop total depth with overhand was around 25.5" the installer put a 1.5" strip at the back which is hardly noticeable (especially with coffee pot, etc).

• jpseajdm
    13 years ago

I just love your kitchen! I also love that drum shade light fixture over your table. Where did you find it? Thanks.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Appliances Electrolux from Best Buy Floor Model Clearance Warehouse which we purchased for a little under $350 a piece!!!!

Can you break that down?

Is the dishwasher paneled? Does Ikea offer that?

Is the cook top Electrolux induction?

What are you doing for ventilation?

Is that the Ikea apron front sink?

That is an absolutely fantastic kitchen.

Double Kudos for doing so on a low budget.

• mom2cohen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jpseajdm - the drum shade over our dining table is from Overstock.com. I found it through copycatchick.com....it is supposed to mimic the drum shade that used to be offered by Restoration Hardware. We paid $105.00 for it.

deeageaux - to answer your questions....

1. Can you break that down? Kind of. We purchased all of the appliances through a site called Cowboom.com. We heard about it through a friend but to be honest we were really nervous after we purchased the items. You see, you have to pick up the items in person in Flowermound, Texas which is about 3 hours from us. When we got to this city it was a little run down place and we were sure we had been scammed. Anyhow, sure enough once we found the Best Buy Warehouse (which I am sure is the only thing keeping this town running) we were greatly relieved. It is a HUGE (maybe 100,000sq/ft) warehouse FULL of Best Buy store returns and/or floor models! We walked in handed the lady at the front desk our receipts and 20 minutes later we had new appliances with 30 day warranties on them! I realize that this would not work for everyone since you do have to pick things up in person but it ended up being a fantastic deal for us!!!

2. Is the dishwasher paneled? Does Ikea offer that? Yes, the dishwasher is integrated. It is to the right of the sink and yes, Ikea does offer this. I believe the dishwasher was around $599 and the panel door from Ikea was an additional $80.

Is the cook top Electrolux induction? It is a Hybrid induction. !/2 regular and 1/2 Induction. I would have preferred all induction but hey you get what you can!

What are you doing for ventilation? We have not installed the hood yet. It is the next thing on our to do list. It is also from Ikea and it is a large silver hood. It cost somewhere around $399.

Is that the Ikea apron front sink? Yes, the it is the Ikea apron front sink! I LOVE it and so does everyone that sees it. It is the single Domsjo and it is HUGE! I also got lucky and scored a new Delta Touch Faucet from a friend who decided not to install it in her new home and sold it to me for half price! We LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

• ebean
    13 years ago

wow now that's a transformation! you did a beautiful job.

• sochi
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, you did a fantastic job. The tile looks gorgeous. Congratulations and enjoy!

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

mom2

If I didn't know better I would think you did cut/paste for the after photos! Incredible job - great use of space and kudos for your patience & budget savvy

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for posting the close up photos and details of your countertops. I was surprized to read that matte tiles scratch more than polished. Just wondering if you had considered granite tiles? I can't stop looking at your kitchen!

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I just realized that your chopping block is part of the counter and not just sitting on top of it. Was that hard to do?

• mamabear2010
    13 years ago

Wow - what a beautiful transformation!! Congrats!!

• mom2cohen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

marti8a - Yes, the butcher block is integrated. It wasn't hard at all to install. It just fastened to the top of the cabinets and then the installer tiled around it. We purchased it through Boos and it was my "splurge" since we saved on so many other things. That butcher block....which I LOVE LOVE LOVE cost $650 bucks!!!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

I am so impressed by your kitchen! This is the best tile countertop I've seen. Such large format tile. Checked out the website and the price is fabulous. Thank you for posting; I think we will use these in our bathroom!

Enjoy the kitchen!

• scmtngirl
    13 years ago

This is very inspiring. I've been looking at 24"x24" granite tiles, but I really like the sleek, mod white here. I don't see any tiles specified as being rectified on the www.blackandwhitetile.com site, however, although the link below looks pretty much like what you used. Can you provide a product link for the tile if not?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pure White Porcelain Tile Polished Icelandic

• mamabear2010
    13 years ago

Whoa - what a fabulous transformation - it is a beautiful kitchen!

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

What and incredible transformation. It is beautiful. It really gives a new light to using tile. Congrats!

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

mom2cohen, Wow! What an amazing job! It hardly looks like the same space. Your counters look awesome and I love the big hunk of butcher block. I'm doing a more traditional unfitted look in my kitchen but I so appreciate the crisp, clean and modern look of yours. Well done! Have fun cooking up a storm.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Holy Cow! That is drop-dead gorgeous! So sleek and sophisticated! Love it!

Those cabs are fab! Are they the new black/brown IKEA Ramsjo doors? They are amazing!

Your counters are lick-worthy, which in Gardenweb kitchenland is a very good thing! ;^) Congrats!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Beautiful transformation! Did you move a wall?--just wondering because I can't figure out how you could fit an island in the old kitchen. Love the contrast of cabs and countertops! And your pendants are great! Enjoy!

• aloha2009
    13 years ago

Wowza!!!

I'm been searching for an inexpensive but awesome countertop that would work and you hit it right on! Backspash included!

You have made my day, no my week. Thanks for sharing and all the details.

• jenniferdalrymple_att_net
    12 years ago

we are looking into the ramsjo cabinetry at ikea and it looks like you have a pantry to the left of your fridge. I can not find a pantry in the ramsjo finish? Any suggestions?

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I just posted a link to your kitchen in a thread about built in butcher block. Wanted to bump this up as this is such a great kitchen. The counters are amazing and an affordable idea. Hope you are enjoying your kitchen.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Excellent job, congratulations! Very elegant. I especially like the BS and the pendants.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

I just saw some 24 inch granite slabs that are counter depth and with a smaller counter top it would be so easy to use these. One third the cost of slab. I am thinking of using it for my laundry room. The edge is already finished. You can get them at flooring and tile stores. Pretty neat.

• library_girl
    11 years ago

What a beautiful transformation. It turned out fantastic. I especially love the porter pendants, and the bar stools! Thanks for sharing all the pictures and info!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Beautiful transformation. Your kitchen is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing sources also - love the tile counter. Off to look at site! Thanks!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Looks like a $60,000 plus kitchen! Love everything, beautifully coordinated, beautifully executed. Tile setter did a great job and I love your backsplash and appliances too. Great job!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

P.S. I think the shiny tile looks better with this kitchen, it's more modern. Love your pulls, they really dress up the cabinets and add some flash. Looks fantastic with the cabinets and splash. I'm in awe!

• Christine R
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm curious years later are you still glad you tiled? Did the tile hold up? It looks fantastic, by the way.

• Christine R
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks for the response! We were strongly considering a large profile tile also but decided that the grout would probably be our downfall. Your kitchen still looks great, you have good taste!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz