Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bordenh

Finished IKEA kitchen!

bordenh
9 years ago

I have been lurking on here for a while and you have all helped me to narrow down my final choices for my kitchen reno. So, thank you! I also want to thank any IKEAfans who are members because I used that site so frequently. Some of you may not know, but the IKEAfans website has been taken down and 9 years of information and how-tos have been deleted. What a shame!

My kitchen is small, 11' x 9' and I was also working with a small budget. We are not real DIYers, so we had to pay someone to do most of the work. We came in under $11 500.

I hope that these pictures and this info will help others who are designing their kitchens just as I got so many ideas from these forums.

Comments (35)

• bordenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another one.

• bordenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another one.

• bordenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Corner.

• bordenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Corner.

{{!gwi}}

• bordenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Koehler bellera. Love it!

• bordenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

It looks great! The backsplash is really nice.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

What a cute, quaint kitchen!
    I too like your subway tiles did you use matching grout?

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Unrelated questions...all your pics look sideways on my computer. Is that a setting on my computer that I can change to make them right side up?

• emma
    9 years ago

I don't think it is a computer problem I think it is a garden web problem. I have saved some of the pictures to my desktop and tried to post them correctly and they are always just like these, sideways.

• bordenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone! Yes, I used matching grout. It was silver gray, I think. These are 4 x 16 tiles and I thought they might be too big, but I ended up loving them.

Oh, i don't know why the pics are sideways. I notice that sometimes when I view others' pics. They are not showing sideways for me.

• mostone
    9 years ago

It's lovely!

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is great! I hope you were able to use it today & enjoy a great meal w/ your family! Congrats!

• bordenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I posted these pics on my iPad so maybe that is why they are sideways. I am from Canada so we had our Thanksgiving in October and no the kitchen was not finished, lol. By the way, the dollar amount is in Canadian funds too!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I am on my ipad and they look perfectly correct. :)
    Hadn't really looked at 4x16. Hmmmm that might be a better size for my kitchen too. I gravitate to 4 or 6x12. I do like the longer line of the 16. Very nice.

• infinitylounge
    9 years ago

This is great. I am working with almost the same size room and planning to use IKEA. The layout I had become fairly settled on is pretty much identical only a mirror image! (Clockwise, narrow drawers, range, wider drawers, super susan, sink, DW, fridge/pantry)

Do you feel like you have enough prep space in front of the drawers next to the range there? What is your counter material?

Nice job!

• practigal
    9 years ago

Excellent! You had to make a lot of decisions and it looks like you made them very well!. Congratulations, now you can enjoy it.

• bordenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I feel like I have enough prep space because the layout is so much more efficient. The stove used to be where the pantry was in a corner and now I have landing space on both sides. Also because I got rid of 2 blind corners everything is so accessible.

The countertop is Formica Mineral Jet in radiance finish and I love it!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Very nice! What pulls did you use?

If you click the sideways photos they open right side up in a new window, incidentally.

• chinchette
    9 years ago

How interesting- its the EXACT same layout that I am doing right now with Adel White on an investment property. Thanks for posting. You did a good job. I like the formica. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Lovely lovely remodel. Really like the backsplash and flooring. Any specifics for them? They are really nice.

Photos showing up correctly on my iPad.

• Linda
    9 years ago

Very nice!

• bordenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you.

Pulls/knobs: IKEA FINTORP

Backsplash: 4 x 16 Travertino Gris by Star Tile ( I think)

Flooring: 16" Adura vinyl tile from Mannington, style - Overcast, grouted. Set on the diagonal.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Wow, I'm impressed with what you did on a budget. Well-done! I love the glass-fronted cabinet above the sink. Your counters are really pretty, too.

"I don't think it is a computer problem I think it is a garden web problem." Specifically, it's a PC vs Apple problem. I'm on a PC so photos posted from Iphones or Ipads end up sideways or upside down for me. But thanks to writersblock, I now know that I can view them right way up by clicking on the photo. Slick! I'm going to go back to all the threads with sideways or upside down photos now. :)

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Wonderful choices. It looks quite charming and functional. Would love to see a before photo.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info on the pulls/knobs.

• bordenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here you go funky camper!

• bordenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As you can see, the doors would not even stay closed anymore.

• bordenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fridge was huge obstacle as you walked into the room.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Oh, wow! Seeing the before makes the after even better. I'm sure getting that stove out of the corner feels so much better to cook on, too. Thanks for sharing.

• heidihausfrau
    9 years ago

Great job! Everything looks really nice.

• dawn_t
    9 years ago

What a beautiful transformation, you must be so thrilled with your new kitchen!
    I love that you used the Forhoga free standing island cart. I really wanted to add one, but unfortunately had no room for an island.

Btw, I also used Formica Mineral Jet with my Ikea cabs :)

• bordenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks dawn_t. I think it is actually the NORDEN occasional table. It is like 71" long. I love it because it frees up counter space and my kids can make their toast and sandwiches there.

• dollymibella
    9 years ago

Bravo!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Congrats on your new kitchen. I really like your countertop choice & love the large format backsplash.