Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nuccia_gw

Beeswax Oil at reasonable price anywhere?

nuccia
16 years ago

I have about 90 sq ft of soapstone and am using mineral oil. I read about the beeswax-mineral oil blend that is supposed to go on much easier, but when I did a search for it, I only found it for about $10 for a few ounces. I would be lucky to get two applications from one of these containers.

I remember from an old soapstone thread that someone ordered a gallon of this online and paid about $50. Does anyone know who might sell this? My elbows are at stake!

We just moved into our new home and just love, love, love our kitchen. We used soapstone on the perimeter counters and White America quartzite on the island. White America looks like carrara marble but behaves like granite. As soon as we install the range backsplash tile, I'll post pictures.

I've been absent from the forums for a while because we have been so busy with the move, and 10 days after we moved in, we had Italian relatives visit for 3 weeks. Because none of them spoke English, I basically had to be with them 24/7. They've been gone 1 week, and I am just beginning to breathe again.

Thanks for any leads on the beeswax oil.

Comments (14)

• florida_joshua
    16 years ago

You get no answers untill you post pics. . .lol

Sorry just had to say that. . I don't know where to get it by the gallon, but would love to see the soapstone with the white america quatzite.

My wife and I love the white marbles with the soapstone . . .mmmmm... one day the corian will go and our dream kitchen will appear.

• imrainey
    16 years ago

I bought my beeswax a million years ago and I have no idea what I paid for it but you can get blocks of it (well more than a few ounces) at Michael's craft stores.

Below is another online resource I just found  can't remember where I got the blocks I used to use for molding Christmas ornaments.

Here is a link that might be useful: beeswax

• dixielogs
    16 years ago

here is where we get ours. I usually give each of out customers a small container to start with, but I have the medium size one in my kitchen. will last you a very long time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holland Bowl Mill

• florida_mimi
    16 years ago

My husband doesn't pay attention enough to the real questions :)
    I'm doing a ditto on what Dixielogs said. Holland Bowl Mill is where we buy our stuff. They carry a huge 28 oz tub.
    Another option is what some of the other stoners were doing in another thread. They were mixing 50% mineral oil with 50% bee's wax. I havenÂt tried this yet but it may be a fun and cheaper alternative. You may be able to find the bee's wax in bulk on eBay and then buy the Mineral oil in bulk from STE Oil Company Inc. We order the Crystal Plus Oil 70FG. It's the food grade mineral oil in a thinner viscosity so it's easier to apply. I know they sell it by the gallon and so on. We buy it by the drum. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: STE Mineral Oil

• nuccia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll order some from Holland Bowl Mill and see how it behaves and how long it really lasts. Since I just got my soapstone and seem to have used a lot of oil, I kind of panicked and assumed I'd be going through gallons. I bought my first bottle from the drug store because my fabricator said the thicker stuff would last longer, but it's a PITA to wipe off. I just got a bottle of food grade from Buck's County Soapstone, so I'll try that next.

What is the optimal amount of time to wait before you wipe off the oil (or bees' oil)? I wonder if I waited too long to wipe it off (24 hrs) and the oil gummed up, making it harder to remove.

Nuccia

• tonda1
    16 years ago

Oh, yes, you waited too long. It is WOWO - wipe on, wipe off. I usually rub it on the entire run of countertop and then go back to the beginning and start wiping off/buffing as soon as I am done. And after a year and a half of straight mineral oil, I made the switch to beeswax/mineral oil blend (homemade!) and I LOVE IT! It lasts SO much longer. I bought my beeswax from TAHUYA RIVER APIARIES and then melted it and mixed 50/50 with mineral oil.

Here is a link that might be useful: TAHUYA RIVER APIARIES

• florida_mimi
    16 years ago

tonda1- how did you melt the beeswax? Did you do it in a double boiler like chocolate or in the microwave?? also I'm assuming you kept it in a plastic container... how hard was it to clean up afterwards? (the melted mixture that is) I'm going to order the wax and start my science experiment when it comes in. I'm excited!!

Nuccia- the bee's wax from New Holland is pretty easy to apply. What we do is just get a clean cotton rag and wipe it on like wax on a car, let is sit for a few minutes, then with another clean rag wipe it off. It should feel silky smooth not at all oily.

You can also take a few tablespoons and melt it in a bowl and poor it on... I found this to be pretty messy but some people like this process better.

• tonda1
    16 years ago

how did you melt the beeswax? Did you do it in a double boiler like chocolate or in the microwave??

I heated a pan of water with a rack in the bottom and then sat the metal container that I am keeping the mix in (see link below - I used the smaller one; the bigger one is my compost bin) into the water kept the heat on medium low and stirred occasionally until the beeswax melted, I then took it off the heat, mixed in the mineral oil well and let it cool.

also I'm assuming you kept it in a plastic container... how hard was it to clean up afterwards? (the melted mixture that is)

Because I heated it in the container I was leaving it in there was really no cleanup!

I'm going to order the wax and start my science experiment when it comes in. I'm excited!!

Just a word to the wise, I ordered and used 2 lbs of beeswax because the shipping price was teh same for one or two pounds. It made A LOT of beeswax/mineral oil mix!!!! I will not run out in my lifetime! Of course, 2 lbs with an equal amount of mineral oil fit PERFECTLY into my container though, so I guess it was meant to be!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: metal container from IKEA

• imrainey
    16 years ago

DO NOT try to melt wax in your microwave! You could end up with a fire that's very hard to put out and/or destroy your microwave.

Another use for beeswax is to pour it into flat silicone molds. They make lovely ornaments if you stick in a loop of wick. They smell lovely and develop a patina over time. Of course, you can also do candles but the ornaments take no skill at all.

• florida_mimi
    16 years ago

Thank you for the advice! I promise not to blow up my microwave :) I going to check out Michaels and a couple of the craft stores locally to see if I can buy a small block of it first. I don't have my own countertops yet so ifI made a HUGE batch with the 2 lbs of wax it would be sitting for a LONG time before we install our kitchen.:)

I'll let you know how it goes

• beekeepersdaughter
    16 years ago

I make butcher blocks that I sell at craft shows and I give my customers a conditioner because I want them to take care of their boards. I suspect what I make to give my customers may be what you are looking for. Email me direct with more information about the consistency you are looking for. My stuff is pretty thick for the boards and goes a long way but I could always alter my recipe to suit your needs.

• sharon_s
    16 years ago

Nuccia,

We have the same kitchen--soapstone perimeter and White America island. I use both the Holland Mill Bees Oil and the STE mineral oil.

I find that the Holland Mill stuff lasts quite a while--a little goes a long way.

• gardenowl
    16 years ago

There is a company that offers a similar product to Holland Bowl Mill in auction format for a lot less.

I agree, you don't have to order massive quantities of this product to coat your counter tops. A little goes a long way!

Here is the link to their current auction format listing. Message this lady if you want Mineral oil, because she has that at really good pricing too.

Her shipping charges are great and she usually ships out immediately after payment is received. 100% feedback last I checked!

Here is a link that might be useful: 10oz Beeswax Mineral Oil Butcher Block Polish Food Safe

• bloominwhereplanted
    16 years ago

gardenowl - I just wanted to thank you for mentioning this... I just placed my order! Looks like a great deal, can't wait to see how it looks on my new (not yet installed) soapstone slabs!

bloomin...