Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebodyoasis_gw

DW issue

homebodyoasis
9 years ago

I posted this on the appliance forum, but hope some of the resident experts might be able to assist...

We had a new GE DW installed yesterday. The min clearance for the DW is 33.375. Our cabinet clearance is 33.5, but it turns out that it reduces to 33.25 towards the back. The installers took off the legs of the DW and were able to get it in and put shims where the legs would have been and told me they were able to level it and that there is 1/2 inch clearance under the motor... They couldn't add the insulation (the granite gets warm, but not the cabinet on the side) and they didn't install the trim kit. The unit works, however there is a mostly constant humming or grinding sound type noise throughout the cycle. The installers told me that there was 1/2 inch under the motor and that air can circulate. Can this be noise issue be fixed or should I exchange the unit for an ADA unit?

Comments (8)

• emma
    9 years ago

If you mean dishwasher they have a garbage disposal inside them that can making a grinding sound when things like bones are put in them. It should not happen every time and I have never heard it on mine. Just repeating what my manual says.

• homebodyoasis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Emma, yes I mean dishwasher. The noise is pretty consistent and we haven't put really dirty dishes is there and haven't put any bones...

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It it just the lack of insulation and trim making it sound louder than it should?

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

I'd have them come back and install the trim, but it won't help with the sound, it will look better. I would also want the insulation. Are you talking about the insulation they put at the front and underneath the DW?

I recently bought and had installed a GE dishwasher and we can't hear anything out of it. What model do you have?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

homebodyoaisis:

The insulation is not optional according to GE, page 10:

Here is a link that might be useful: GE

• ardcp
    9 years ago

did you have a dw there before? i just assumed they were all the same size except the miele.
    i have a whirlpool, that i hate btw, and it has no insulation on the bottom but a large sheet covering the top and sides. even with the insulation it is loud so i bet yours is quite loud without it. did the installers say the insulation wont fit?

• homebodyoasis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The model is the GDT580SSFSS. The noise is definitely a grinding noise that I'm guessing is related to the motor. :/

The insulation is the what they wrap the sides and top of the unit with. The trim kit is the rubber that goes inside. I haven't had an leaking.

Trebruchet, as always thanks for your help!

We are considering the Asko to replace this unit. Double the price, but half the worry...

• homebodyoasis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ardcp, we had a dishwasher there previously, however when we bidding out our kitchen rehab project we decided to save money and not have the cabinets removed prior to placing the subfloor and tile which raised the floor around the cabinets and under the dishwasher so our old one would no longer fit. The noise of the cyle isn't bothersome, but the grinding noise is.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH