Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newchapter12

Backsplash help

newchapter
12 years ago

I am looking for some help with my backsplash. Although you cant tell by the picture (or maybe you can), the kitchen is very dark. I wanted to use something with a little color to brighten it up, but I also dont want it to be busy because my granite is very busy. Any suggestions are welcome!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (32)

• chris11895
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Are you thinking like a white or neutral color? I'm on my iPad so it's a pain to share images and this is just a really quick first thought, but how about something with some texture like this?

Ann Sacks Abyssinian CollectionHREF> maybe in a cream or beige? It comes in many colors.

Or a herringbone in beige and white like in the third row::
    Ann Sacks ChevronHREF>

• newchapter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love those tiles. I was actually looking to do somethIng like a grey green. Do you think that could work?

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I agree with Chris. It looks like you have Bianco Antico granite, which does not have grey/green in it. Are these colors that are not showing up in your picture?

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Newchapter, I love your granite. The ann sacks
    abyussianian would be divine in your space.
    Here are a few more visuals to think about too.

• newchapter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ellendi - my granite is actually delicatus and very very gray. Ill try to post a better pic.

Thanks Boxer, those are a great help.

• newchapter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

okay, here are some other pics.

• newchapter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bumping - anyone else?

• chris11895
    12 years ago

Are you leaning towards any particular material - Glass? Subway? Mosaic? Do any of the pics posted appeal to you more than others?

• blondelle
    12 years ago

I LOVE your kitchen. So rich and warm. Is that Delicatus (sp.?) granite? I really wouldn't do much more than this. If you can't find a light, honed marble with minimal veining that matches, I would go with a matte tile, and a 1 x 1, mosaic inside the arch, or larger as shown in another material, or even a mosaic floral as shown here, with the background tile of that design used in a subway for the rest of the kitchen.

• sserra85
    12 years ago

How about a simple honed crema marfil mosaic or mini subway tile?

• newchapter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chris - I was leaning toward glass - but now that Ive seen the mock up that blondelle did, Im not sure. Thanks blondelle!

Twn85 - simple honed crema marfil or mini subway would be good too. Ive been really struggling with color. All of the tiles Ive brought home lean toward the yellow and it really throws it off. On the other hand, so does the white.

Ive been looking at the ovation opera glass tile from Artistic Tile but its hard to visualize. The picture below shows the color in the shower, but I would do it in a subway. I also really like their stone mosaics.

Here is a link that might be useful: artistic tile opera glass - ovation

• newchapter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Blondelle - I forgot to answer - it is delicatus - but it is more cream/gray than white based. Also, my cabinets were supposed to be darker, but that's a whole different thread and water under the bridge. So, Ive got to make this work. The below link is to the kitchen which was my original inspiration kitchen. I love this designers work. Love it.
    I got the tile shown in the photo but it reads completely gray in my kitchen, and it is dark enough in here already. The inspiration kitchen is why I was saying I was initially leaning toward green. I love the look and I really like the contrast of the backsplash and the cabinets. For some reason I cant get the link to work.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchenlab-eclectic-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~56679

• blondelle
    12 years ago

I wouldn't go with glass. All the elements in your kitchen are classic and timeless. Glass will date it. If you do use glass, use a matte finish. Honed Botticino (sp.) might work. It has a slightly grayish cast to it. It's not as yellow as Crema Marfil. Would a floral mosaic there be too traditional for you? Would be so pretty.

I wouldn't use green in there as there's no green in any other element of the kitchen, and it won't go with the granite. Use color in your accessories to brighten it up!

• Jody
    12 years ago

Hello .... I have the Delicatus Brown granite (installed 2 wks. ago) and am going thru the same decision making with the backsplash.

I am using the Jeffrey Court Chapter 12 field tiles; and behind my sink area, will be having an arched square with1x1 sparkly tiles in it. Thinking of the Encore Jewel tile series. Waiting on samples for that from the tile company.

I will post my mock up plan, however, we have decided NOT to use the small 23 subway tiles in the area behind the sink ~ so, except for the bottom row of 2x3's and the liner, all field tiles will be 6x6.

From November 20, 2011

and here is our kitchen now, waiting the the BS

From November 20, 2011

jody

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeffrey Court Chapter 12

• chris11895
    12 years ago

What about a diamond pattern? You can find that in marble or ceramic so you have a lot of options with tone/color...

Here is a link that might be useful: Diamond Tile

• newchapter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Blondelle. Points taken. Floral is a bit too much for me. I would rather a different motif - like herringone or something like that?

Jody, the jeffrey court looks great in your kitchen. What is the color called that you chose?

I took a trip to the tile store this morning and picked this up.

Here is a link that might be useful: horus art ceramiche cristalli

• newchapter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chris - we crossposted - I really like that! Its traditional yet slightly more contemporary, kwim?

• chris11895
    12 years ago

Herringbone keeps popping into my head too :-)

• Jody
    12 years ago

newchapter .... I am using the Jeffrey Court FRENCH CREMA with the Delicatus Brown .... it looks really nice with it ~ doesn't *fight* the granite (color wise) at all and is not *busy*, so it doesn't compete with the business of the granite.

NOW, the little sparkly 1x1's I want to use .... I am having a harder time picking them out. Have samples coming. I'll post their web page too .... kitchen *eye candy* for sure; and these tiles are even more delicious in person!!! lol

jody

Enter Encore Ceramics at your own risk ~ you just *might* want them too!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Encore Ceramics ~ San Marco Jewel Series

• newchapter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Holy cow - those san marco jewel series tiles are gorgeous. stunning. beautiful!

• Jody
    12 years ago

newchapter .... trust me, they are even MORE stunning/beautiful when you see them in person. The glazing on these tiles is absolutely gorgeous. Without being an iridescent tile, they give off a LOT of sparkle!!!

A little pricey ~ The jewel series, I was quoted $122/sq. ft. (you know, for a sheet of those 1x1 mosaics) ... and I am hoping to only need 2 ~ maybe 3 at the most. Which I CAN do, but if I needed more, I probably couldn't.

Glad to share them with you ;)

jody

• newchapter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Im going to check out the encore ceramic tiles this morning!

• Jody
    12 years ago

Please let me know how you liked the Encore tiles!!! I absolutely love them .... they certainly have a look all their own. And the sparkle ... oh my .... love it ;)

jody

• xc60
    12 years ago

I also have dark cabinets and Delicatus granite, I had such a hard time trying to pick a backsplash. At first I had a beige glass tiles the same color as the paint on the walls installed and that was an nightmare as the tiler did a hack job on the glass tile and grout. I also originally had a chimney style stainless steel range hood with the glass going up to the ceiling over the range. It just never felt right almost too cold feeling with all the glass and stainless. Photos taken during construction.

I recently had the glass tile removed and replaced the chimney range hood with cabinets above the stove and had the glass tile ripped out.

I have decided finally after many months of trying to figure out what to use for the backsplash, split faced 1x2 travertine tiles, since we have an open concept living area and have the travertine on the fireplace in the great room across fom the kitchen. It was hard to find something that went with the paint, cabinets, granite and the fireplace. Tile will not be in until next week but am hoping it finally all comes together.

Do you also have an open concept, any other features that need to also match....?

• newchapter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My goodness the encore tiles were awesome - Im thinking of using a pencil for a touch of sparkle around a mosaic behind my cooktop.

xc60 - I remember when you were picking your backsplash - so sorry the glass didnt work out. I really like that stone. It looks very classic.

• Jody
    12 years ago

newchapter .... by *pencil* to you mean the ones like these???? OMG, IF you do, I would so love to be able to use them (just don't see it in my kitchen), but they are to just die for!!!

From November 23, 2011

And what color way are you looking at??? They are ALL so gorgeous!!!

So glad you liked them ;)

jody

RE: Backsplash help

yes! exactly those. Arent they delicious?

Golly, Jody, you are just like some sort of drug dealer pushing your shiny tiles all over the forum! I'm going to have to go to TA (Tile Anonymous) meetings to learn to just say no to $122/sqft tile.

It is soooo pretty. Maybe if I try just one... Really, I can quit any time I want!

newchapter and mpagmom ..... trust me, I'm jus as HOOKED as you guys are ;)
    I guess I get to be president of TA (Tile Anonymous!!!) lol Tomorrow I can pick up the two sample tiles they ordered for me; AND I am going to also pick up their store board with other colors on it.

Don't laugh, one thing I did is, I had an Encore mosaic mix home and to even *see* if it might work, I cut an arch out of poster board, printed out about 12 samples of that tile (using their website) and glued it on the arch ... only to find out, it looked awful with my granite. And here I thought it would look soooo good. Lesson learned .... choose carefully.

I can only have their sample board for the weekend. I was there on Monday and she wouldn't let me take them because others might want to see them (which I can understand); BUT, if I came back on Friday, I could have them until Monday (closed on weekends).

Yeah, the $122/sq. ft. is high; but I can get away with 2 (well, probably 3) sq. ft. ... and I think it is SO worth it.

I will take some pics with the samples tomorrow night.

Sooo glad I can push my *bling* on you guys!!!

jody

I look forward to getting my tile fix!

I dont know if anyone will look, but I came across these today - yum.

Here is a link that might be useful: akdo neutral blend

newchapter .... the akdo tile is VERY pretty!!!! Tho a more modern look. To me, I like those more as an accent (like behind a sink area or stove area) .... might be tooo much of a good thing all over.

Did you decide against the Encore Ceramics glass tiles??? I have mine ordered for my arched area and hoping they'll be in next week .... will not be done before Xmas!! That's OK, I kinda knew that .... took tooo much time deciding on what I wanted.

I did *tweak* my design somewhat, based on feedback here on my design. I *simplified* it!! And think it will look better. Using the Jeffrey Court 6x6 tiles on a diagonal (NO 2x3 subways or thick border tile). The 6x6's in the sink area will be stacked (not set on a diagonal); and the arched area will have the 1x1 Encore tile in Morrell color ~ grout color will be the same as the field tile. The other change I made is to NOT use the heavy liner that was kinda flowery; but a simple 3/4" domed border tile around the arched area.

Hope you make your decision soon!!! Can't wait to see what you've chosen!

jody

Post a Follow-Up
    Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link: Return to the Kitchens Forum

• newchapter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yes! exactly those. Arent they delicious?

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

Golly, Jody, you are just like some sort of drug dealer pushing your shiny tiles all over the forum! I'm going to have to go to TA (Tile Anonymous) meetings to learn to just say no to $122/sqft tile.

It is soooo pretty. Maybe if I try just one... Really, I can quit any time I want!

• Jody
    12 years ago

newchapter and mpagmom ..... trust me, I'm jus as HOOKED as you guys are ;)
    I guess I get to be president of TA (Tile Anonymous!!!) lol Tomorrow I can pick up the two sample tiles they ordered for me; AND I am going to also pick up their store board with other colors on it.

Don't laugh, one thing I did is, I had an Encore mosaic mix home and to even *see* if it might work, I cut an arch out of poster board, printed out about 12 samples of that tile (using their website) and glued it on the arch ... only to find out, it looked awful with my granite. And here I thought it would look soooo good. Lesson learned .... choose carefully.

I can only have their sample board for the weekend. I was there on Monday and she wouldn't let me take them because others might want to see them (which I can understand); BUT, if I came back on Friday, I could have them until Monday (closed on weekends).

Yeah, the $122/sq. ft. is high; but I can get away with 2 (well, probably 3) sq. ft. ... and I think it is SO worth it.

I will take some pics with the samples tomorrow night.

Sooo glad I can push my *bling* on you guys!!!

jody

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I look forward to getting my tile fix!

Here is a link that might be useful: akdo neutral blend

• newchapter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I dont know if anyone will look, but I came across these today - yum.

• Jody
    12 years ago

newchapter .... the akdo tile is VERY pretty!!!! Tho a more modern look. To me, I like those more as an accent (like behind a sink area or stove area) .... might be tooo much of a good thing all over.

Did you decide against the Encore Ceramics glass tiles??? I have mine ordered for my arched area and hoping they'll be in next week .... will not be done before Xmas!! That's OK, I kinda knew that .... took tooo much time deciding on what I wanted.

I did *tweak* my design somewhat, based on feedback here on my design. I *simplified* it!! And think it will look better. Using the Jeffrey Court 6x6 tiles on a diagonal (NO 2x3 subways or thick border tile). The 6x6's in the sink area will be stacked (not set on a diagonal); and the arched area will have the 1x1 Encore tile in Morrell color ~ grout color will be the same as the field tile. The other change I made is to NOT use the heavy liner that was kinda flowery; but a simple 3/4" domed border tile around the arched area.

Hope you make your decision soon!!! Can't wait to see what you've chosen!

jody