Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

PoorOwner's kitchen remodel

PoorOwner
15 years ago

After lots of research..

My remodel begins: we are DIY using IKEA cabinets.

This thread is to keep you updated on progress and hopefully keep us motivated.

Old appliances and cabinets are gone.

Now we are TRYING to remove the paper, and there are lots of it everywhere.

In the kitchen area we have these bullet proof vinyl coated wallpaper, the stripper liquid will not penetrate, but a steamer helped. It seems to be a 2 stage process to remove the color layer, steaming, manually peeling, then let the stripper work on the backing.

DW helping with the wall paper removal in the dining area. Although I was working on the floor prep, we ended up working on the walls together.

Preparing floor for porcelain tiles: the luan removal was not fun. In my area our subfloor is over 1" thick plywood, and the people before us used extra long 2" staples to secure this layer. I choose to remove the staples instead of pounding them in. After the first 100 or so I have gotten very good.

Looking a little better.

Ikea did call us and says our order is ready to pickup. I think installing the cabinets will be more fun than this work. There are a few more steps to get the floor to tile-ready spec.

Comments (54)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I am so glad my kitchen is a new build and not a remodel. Man, that looks like a TON of work!! You're right though....putting it all back together will be SO much more fun then demo and clean up!

• caminnc
    15 years ago

Woo, you go girl!

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Oh, your pictures make me want to get out the crowbar! Have fun ;-P

• dawn_t
    15 years ago

Wow, you've got a ton of demo done :)
    Way to go!

Which Ikea door style are you going with? We're also diy Ikea (Lidingo).
    It's a new build, but we're doing as much as we can ourselves. (Insulation, wiring, painting, flooring, cab install, etc).
    Look forward to watching your progress!

Is that a reef tank that I see in one pic?

Dawn

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, thanks for the encouragements!

I am using Liljestad, the dark stain oak, which is the more traditional door they have but doesn't seem to be so popular. Most people use Adel for a modern look.

After I found this little bar called moulding pry bar, the nail pick end was perfect to get the staples. That just went 3x faster! I totally gutted the floor now.

We worked on wall paper some more, finished 2 bottles of DIF remover. You can't see it but the wall paper is on knock down textured walls which makes it very hard to scrape off cleanly! I don't think I would get house with wall paper again, I'd run faster away if it is on textured walls and the old non strippable type. The ones in the dining room came off much easier without damage, but the kitchen wallpaper gave us a hard time, paint got scraped off in some areas. Good thing we will have backsplash tiles to cover it up.

Dawn, that is my reef aquarium.. but I have little time to take care of it now, I just changed the water and carbon, should be good for 4-6 weeks.

• caligal
    15 years ago

We are doing Adel white. We did our own design & demo. We built the boxes, but had someone else hang the cabs. I found the IKEAFANS website to be very valuable during assembly. Can't wait to see more pics of your space!

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEAFANS

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Picked up our cabinets from Ikea warehouse today. 2 pallets over 1700 lbs. Then I went to pick up another 400 lbs of porcelain tiles. It wasn't too bad unloading, not one thing was overly heavy. We checked off everything and was delighted to find nothing was missing.

Here are just part of the cargo, which are the doors we opened to check right away, there are a couple with minor stain issues but I might not exchange it.

What came in the mail today was a very well packed item, fedex only managed to put a small hole in it, the whole box was honeycombed for strength.

It's refreshing to look at despite the mess around the house. I work with cars and metal and I can tell this is a nice piece of fabrication

Does anyone know how far is this supposed to stick out? They do give you a full 6" on the side. I think maybe just flush with the front inside edge is good.

• amylovesbud
    15 years ago

Poorowner,

I am DIY with IKEA Adel Birch and I got the identical sink from Lavello. It is just beautiful. I made the sink sit flush with the cabinet doors on the sides and then the apron bows out past the cabinets just slightly. It looks fabulous installed and that big bowl is a dream! Enjoy.

The granite will be installed next Thursday and we're working on all the filler trim pieces right now, so I'll have better pictures very soon.

Are you customizing any of the Ikea cabs? Obviously you have to for the sink, which is quite easy to do. We "hacked" a few of the pieces, so if you have questions about how we did it, let me know.

• msrose
    15 years ago

Oh, I love the cabinets. I pictured cabinets from IKEA as having more of a contemporary flair, but those looks more on the traditional side.

Laurie

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

amylovesbud, I would like to see more pictures how it sits, your sink looked like a flat apron from that picture.

I think the 6" side I am showing I have to cut of the cabinet sides and add pieces of wood like you did. But the rest of the "lip" would sit on the edge of the cabinet. I have to return the 24" door that came with the cabinet and order the 18"

If youw want, you can also click on my name to e-mail me.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• budgeteer_s
    15 years ago

20 years ago I pushed for wallpaper in our kitchen/dinette. DH finally agreed saying that if I put it in, I get to take them out. Guess who DIYed the wallpaper during our remodel today? At the time while I was removing wallpaper, I was thinking this is a PITA and so hard, even thought DH was so right, but in hindsight I'd say it was not so bad (I used 1 bottle of concentrated DIF). Hope you are at the hindsight stage!!!

• amylovesbud
    15 years ago

I used the tutorial on Ikeafans to figure out the modification. The only thing is I didn't take into account the depth of the doors/drawers, so the sink actually sat too far back. I had to add shims at the back of the sink to push it forward even with the cabinet fronts.

Then, the bar that goes across the front top of the cabinets I installed a the "new" front top of the cabinet, but turned it vertically. The front of the sink sits on it (you can see it in the picture). The sink sits right on the sides of the cabinet very nicely. I didn't put in the extra supports as in the tutorial because this stainless sink is so much lighter than that used in the tutorial.

I don't have time to take and upload pictures now, as we're headed to the MIL's, but I'll get some for you later.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: modifying an Ikea sinkbase for a non-Ikea sink

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The kitchen remodel had been slowed down alot by the flooring project. I knew I wanted a tile floor, but I didn't pay too much attention to my house's construction. It turned out my floor had alot of deflection along with sagging subfloor. Over 30 hours was spend in the crawl space flattening the subfloor and then adding over 35 new joists over 500 nails. This is to prevent the new tile floor from cracking in the future. Then comes sanding and filling in the the remaining low spots in the subfloor.

I had done all the work myself, but I did receive alot of great advices from the folks at John Bridge forums.

As you may have noticed all the wallpaper are gone and we now have a clean room to work with :) The tiles are 18"x18" and I am happy with the minimal lines after a matching grout is applied. there are less grout lines to clean down the road.

We also painted the adjacent buffet area a faux finish, it's a pearl paint but does not show up well in pictures. When viewing in person, it is more soft and lighter in color.

While I'm at it (hmm, ok it was planned all along), the entry tiles received a face lift as well.. It was cheap tiles set on particle boards which didn't last very well, I installed fully polished tiles on the diagonal and it is a huge difference in appeal.

Before:

Floor levelled:

I made my best effort to install the new tiles here. It is challenging and errors show easily, it was a learning experience and we are pleased with the results.

The cat seems less pleased with the cold and smooth surface :)

Natural stone mosaic divide the kitchen and entry

After such labor intensive work, we are ready to work on the kitchen! Installed some of the wall cabinets.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Great progress. Those were the exact IKEA cabinets I had planned to use before I ran across my custom cabinet guy. I love the dark color. I can't wait to see the end result. I am sure it will be a great transformation.

p.s. Tell kitty he will appreciate that cool floor in the hot summer months, even though he is none to pleased with it right now! lol!

• datura-07
    15 years ago

WOW, what a job!!! You're on the home stretch now. Can't wait to see the finished pics.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Now THAT'S a nice tile job! Kudos from a fellow DIYer -- it's all looking amazing. Was the Ditra difficult to work with?

What kind of appliances are you getting/re-using in the kitchen?

Give the kitty a chin scratch for me.

• claybabe
    15 years ago

WOW I just reached for the ibuprofen instinctively while looking at your floor joist job....

It looks wonderful: Can't wait to see more! Great tile work.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

That's an amazing amount of work! The tile looks great!
    I have the same sink, and I'm anxious to see how it will go in the cabinet. I think I'm giving the contractor enough headscratchers on this.

• slateberry
    15 years ago

Oooh lovely lovely. I love liljestad, but got outvoted to do lidingo by the rest of my family. Ha ha, I lost in the kitchen but will live to fight another day for liljestad in my victorian bathrooms. Please keep the awesome pictures coming, I will have to do many of the things you have done and I am so inspired (and a bit scared, but that's what ibuprofen is for) watching.

by the way what is your awesome tile (both kitchen and entry)?

You should change your username to EpicureOwner!

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

Wow, what a job!! I can relate, we've done a lot of the same kinds of thing in our house. It's a real pain, but it does end, and then you have a great new space and a feeling of accomplishment. And you saved lots of money.

You did a great job with the tile. I can't wait to see the finished kitchen.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, thanks for the complements.. this week I installed the range hood, one step closer.

I think I may have found the reason the previous owners set the OTR microwave to recirculation (which, overtime caused an oily gunky mess on the ceiling), instead of venting up and out the exterior wall. I mean all the ducting was there, but it probably didn't work!

There was the builder's pipe coming down from the ceiling, so I really didn't have go up to the attic.. but I decided to replace ALL the duct work anyway, so it's a good thing I took a peek at the vent from the attic. It had a very fine mesh but it was plugged up with dirt, grime and corrosion.
    But had I forgot to look at the vent I would have hooked up my new hood and be underwhelmed with the performance.

This is the best effort to clean it up after brushing and vacuuming, but I decided it is just going to plug up down the road, so a new luxary model of a vent was ordered, with a backdraft damper and removable bigger mesh on the outside.

I believe one of benefit of doing things yourself, you could take the time to do things to the way you like it. If I want to have a tight fitting circle cut for the duct, I can do it!

The new duct was moved so it came down on the center of the cabinet, instead of having the do the curving inside the cabinet taking up room, it was worth the effort. I was going to build a box to cover the duct, but I actually like the way it looks now.

Here are some of the Liljestad doors installed. I love the powerful light on the range hood. The hood is quieter than I expected too, it has got to be better than the recirculation mess I had before.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

How wonderful to see your work coming together,
    its looking great!
    vic

• serendipity01
    15 years ago

PoorOwner,

Looks like you're doing a great job on your remodel! May I ask what brand of range hood you have and approximate cost?

Thanks,
    claire

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Claire, my range hood is made by Nutone, I got it at home depot, It flows 440 CFM (very windy outside the vent). Lowes also sell the same thing under Broan brand, they are the same company now.

I like the quality and de-badged look, it's made right here in the USA -- a rare treat for small appliances these days. It looked like I paid much more, but I think I stole the thing for $299 at my HD, lower than the website price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nutone Pro Hood

• serendipity01
    15 years ago

Thank you! That's exactly what I've been looking for at a price I can live with. I'll go check out both HD and Lowes.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your finished kitchen. We start demo on Thursday...eeek!

• lawyerlee
    15 years ago

Wow, your tile is beautiful! Great work with that and everything else. Can't wait to see how the kitchen comes together for you.

Diana

• sweet100s
    15 years ago

Wow!

SkilledOwner, How are you doing?

Looking forward to seeing more!

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Work progress pictures

cabinet lighting installed and tested

Sink install

Reference photo with counter top

1HP Garbage Disposal

After a few tries to lift it into place, Sharp R-1214 is installed and fit nicely.

plus, bamboo blinds, cover panels, and recessed supplement lights above sink

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Your sink looks great in place. I love how it stands proud of the cabs. Great job with the lighting. Can't wait til your done.

• rosie
    15 years ago

Wow! Your sink and cabinet choices are looking wonderfully rich and dignified together. That cabinet door is perhaps my very favorite at Ikea. Coming along good. :)

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had a lot of thoughts about the over refrigerator storage, but could not fit a 36" cabinet with the space remaining and vertical panels together. I didn't want to lose any space either. So I decided to build an extra deep storage about 29.5", and attach the doors to what I can.

The horizontal panels are 3/4" oak plywood, veneered the front edge, then custom stain to match the cabinetry. The bottom shelf is reinforced with steel angle at the back edge.

Ball bearing slide out rack from Costco -- great deal at $15. I plan to add a shelf later.

• rnest44
    15 years ago

Don't know how I missed this thread but your work is terrific and I love the way you are documenting it on this thread. I am looking into using IKEA Liljestad doors. Your kitchen is an inspiration to me.

Um...I'm at that wallpaper pulling stage. The kitchen is coming off well with some effort but the utility room has enough glue to last me a lifetime! I still have a small powder room and a full bath to go. ugh, sigh

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

You're doing a fabulous job!! Congratulations for where you are already. Everything looks so smooth and professional -- love the recessed lights over the sink :).

We DIY'd an Ikea kitchen in 2004 (with several hacks) and other than having to upgrade the hinges to accomodate the Blumotion, we're still going strong, and they look gorgeous as ever. Imagine -- Ikea that's almost 5 years old and hasn't broken down yet :)

With all your newfound tile skills, what backsplash are you doing? And what about the counter? Are you doing butcherblock as in the picture?

Hack on :)

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone, I really don't have much experience with these things, just learning as I go and a GC will do surely better in a lot of areas. But thanks for the support!

So this morning the new refrigerator was delivered! I spent alot of time clearing a path for it to come into the kitchen.

I am happy with the fit, given I didn't have the appliance when I built the thing (only took a few trips to the store for measurement)

I told the guy I didn't want it highly tilted back with fast-slamming doors like the store displays. This is how it ended up. I built the cabs extra deep so I don't have to look at the gaskets. I should have cheated and tilt the panels slightly, seems that the cabinet above didn't agree with that idea.

This is after I put stainless steel cleaner on it and I must say it looked more shiny before, but the cleaner will hide the fingerprints, I guess you pick the lesser evil.

It's making loud popping sounds now I hope that's just the ice maker... I read all the reviews and kind of expected that. I bought the extended warranty and pulled the trigger.

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

Wow: Super Impressed! Great Job: Glad to see you used the Pad under the tile! Impressed! I love what you did : great with the decos for the room change!

Kitty likes!

Love animals: because they always know when something NEW is going on! Tile is cool for them!

Also: we have installed tile on top of tile: due to the fact the customer demanded it! (I always think "why?")

SO I see what you did and I know what my guys do: and YOU GO GIRL! Hard work:

When you are done: sit down and breath! Great job!

Also: you for hire? LOL!

• caryscott
    15 years ago

It looks identical to my Mom's Maytag. Looks great is it a 30" or a 33" wide cab over it? Pinging isn't loud but it has persisted. Her icemaker isn't connected so it may be the problem, I haven't checked it. I have read that the stainless isn't that hardy on the model and you need to baby it a little. Still haven't found the right recipe for cleaning, Method wipes were very streaky, Stainless has been better but still a bit streaky and I am still looking for the Weiman.

I adjusted it to a subtle incline as well:

We went with a 33" opening:

We had them close in the gap at the top with moulding:

Your whole kitchen looks amazing. The next one I'm doing will be Ikea and more DIY I hope I do 1\2 as good a job.

• minac
    15 years ago

I love the polished tile. I am now revisiting the decision I made 3 years ago to go with the matte finish on my tile. Sigh. What color grout did you use in the entryway? It looks like a darker grout color. I didn't know Ikea sold the more traditional Liljestad door style. I've already finished our kitchen, but you have me thinking if we shouldn't think about Ikea when it is time to update the bathroom.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi It's a 33" (32-5/8") Maytag, one of the clone of Amana and Whirlpool gold / Kenmore. I chose the Maytag mainly because of non-reversible door with no screw caps.

my opening is 35" after those 2 vertical panels, It's the width I have left anyway so gives a little extra ventilation and that is always good, I am left with 1.25" on each side. I can just fit a finger above the hinge cap (BTW I have taken off the hinge cap at the store and it is more low profile that way, if anyone runs into a clearance issue with this, IMO doesn't look to bad)
    There is not enough room for a cover piece above, unless I carve around the hinge but that might be tacky.

There was some ice dropping into the tray and it was loud, scaried me and the kitties.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Minac it is Custom Building Products light smoke for the entry, a mocha color which blends with the tile, compared to "Linen" grout in kitchen which gets dark from dirt easily.

The maintenance is very easy I just sweep all the kitty litter under a door and vacuum it all up later -- much easier than my old tile and thick sanded grout lines. We take the shoes off outside for now, afraid the grit from shoes will scratch up the tile until we get some more experience living with it.

I have heard of Ikea used in the bathroom but you would have to trim down the things a bit to conform to typical bathroom sizes.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

You've got a nice snug fit there, height for my Mom's was dictated by the pantry beside it so it really needed the moulding not so in your case. My Mom's is the 29" 5\8 so she has about 1.5" on either side. In addition to the ventilation I find the gap makes it easier to move it in and out - hers is on appliance glides and I needed to adjust them so I could put down the anti-tip feet. She is really happy with her fridge.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cary that's good to know.
    I lost the ability to use the same crown moulding on top of the fridge cab now. Due to the height required and a little bad ceiling sag there. But I guess it's OK. Maybe will just be no moulding for it.

• nalcar
    15 years ago

Instead of lethal petrochemicals my ACE hardware guy turned me on to plain old digestive mineral oil for a SS fridge cleaner. If corrected all smears and streaks, and once wiped off it doesn't leave a residue. Now, a quick wipe down with a damp towel steaming from the microwave cleans everything and leaves a perfect shine on the SS fridge. And it's healthy.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have been delaying the lighting installation because I needed to see where the wall cabinets really will end up..
    I did NOT want to make a big mess at this stage in the kitchen, everything was covered by drop cloth and protected from the dust. It went very well using a HEPA air purifier running and Shop Vac with HEPA filter to follow the saw during the cutting processs. Everything looked fine when I cleaned it up. It took about 6 hours that includes scouting in the attic.

I have been agonzing that the 6" recessed lights might be too big and ruin the kitchen but I think it looks fine now.. I did a lot of research on the distance from the cabinets but even at the last minute I was not sure, I was worried my head might cast a shadow if too far, over wash out the cabinet if too close. I picked a magic number 14" from the doors.

I am really getting a kick out of this, this is what I had before (ugly), using 2*34W = 68W, maybe more due to ballast effiecency..

Installed now is 6*12 = 72W of LED recessed lighting. I love the technology! Very bright, great CRI, 100% brightness at startup, only 4 watts more than before?
    Good fluorescent recessed cans that fit California's strict requirements was only a little cheaper. I think I have made a good choice by jumping to LEDs. I can really see in the kitchen now!

View from Living room, island to be added (big clean up is pending)

View from Entry

Using an engineer's mentality (equal distances) this is the layout I came up with.

Wall wash effect, would have moved it a bit forward if there was not a stud blocking it.

Shadow test

Kitty (aka supervisor) seems to approve it..

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

It looks great, PO! Beautiful kitty, too.

• rnest44
    15 years ago

It just keeps getting better and better! What's going under the microwave since I see the vent hood on a different wall. Dishwasher?

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes owls4me, there will just be a 24" counter and dishwasher right next to the sink.

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

I am so amazed! Everything you are doing is beautiful. Truly, words can not describe my complete astonishmnet! This kitchen will look like a RICH owner's kitchen when you are done. Keep the pictures coming.

• karena_2009
    15 years ago

Poorowner: where did you buy your LED lights from? I'm thinking I'd like to use LEDs in my kitchen, too. I also had the 1980's bar light in my kitchen. One day it just died and it wasn't worth changing the ballast.

BTW, excellent job on your kitchen, it's great how your learned along the way. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experiences!

• swickbb
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing your journey! Seeing how well the LEDs worked for you just helped me make my decision on my lighting as well. Love your kitteh in the pics. They really take all this craziness in stride don't they?

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

>>Karena, I have contacted you by e-mail a while back about the lights.

OK, I installed faucet, dishwasher and cooktop a while back and I was able to cook in the kitchen, we had not eaten out in almost 3 months which really helped financially. I had been working on other projects and of course some gardening, this is gardenWeb after all! The spring display of maples looked great this year.

Now back to the kitchen. I am still missing the island, technically a pennisula a little less than 3'x4' which will house the oven. I have installed a small TV on a swing out mount above the island area, and it can be watched from the kitchen or Dining area. I had to open the wall behind to add studs to support the TV (on center), and install the recessed outlet and cables. I have always wondered how HGTV made it looks like it only takes 15 minutes?
    The first piece of backsplash was put on the wall for the TV mount to go over.
    I had the TV at the height I want. Now I realized it is again may be a little low to clear the KitchenAid mixer, just like my light rail was. I Will have to find a place for the mixer or put it out of the way of the TV.

One thing I think I will have to do really soon is to install the handles on the cabinets. The blue tape handles are not working that great!