Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine292

Need opinion on granite choices

sunshine292
9 years ago

We are totally divided on the choice of granite that we're going with. We have a peninsula island and pure white cabinets with maple tumbleweed floors (medium tone maple).

Choice 1 is attached. This has definite movement and many more browns (darker). I'll attach the second choice in an additional post to this message.

We're trying to go with something that will not only look timeless but appeal to most homebuyers if we need to sell. There is a LOT of granite in this kitchen so we'd appreciate any opinions and feedback.

Thank you!

Comments (24)

• sunshine292
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Choice #2.

Thank you in advance for any and all opinions!!!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

While they are both pretty, I'd prefer number 2.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I like both of them. I would not call either of them timeless or likely to appeal to everyone.

• czarinalex
    9 years ago

I like number 2. I think it would appeal to more people and it's really pretty. Number 1 is a little too bold.

• luckyme7
    9 years ago

Definitely 2 is better than 1 in my opinion. 1 is too busy for me.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

I agree that number 2 will have wider appeal. My granite is black and white and similar to your #1; as a horizontal surface broken by cut outs and things resting on top I think the pattern is less "in your face" than it appears as a slab. But it is still bold.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Number 2. I prefer the color and movement. I think it would have more mass market appeal.

• kiko_gw
    9 years ago

I prefer #2. It reminds me a lot of the granite that was already in our kitchen when we bought our current house. What is the name of it?

• BirchPoint
    9 years ago

#2 Looks like Fantasy Brown which is actually a marble and will stain and etch. I took a sample of this home and put it through testing and it did stain and etch. But it is a beautiful stone and with all that movement, those qualities may not be a problem for you. Sometimes I regret passing it by ---- until I'm squeezing limes into my guacamole!

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I prefer the movement in #2. Getting samples also to test may help in your decision.

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

I like number 2. I don't care for number 1 at all.

• melissaki5
    9 years ago

One more vote for number 2. I liked number 1 until I scrolled down and saw number 2. However, I agree with others and think you should test, just so you know what you are getting.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Dissenting opinion here: I love the linear bands in #1 while #2 does nothing for me. In either case, definitely get samples and do tests. On #1 test both the light areas and the dark areas because that could be marble.

Good luck deciding!

• thepeppermintleaf
    9 years ago

I also really like #1. Since you are doing white cabinets, the bold look of #1 would probably look great!!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

One more vote for #2, although I like both.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I tend to like linear granites, but #1 is a bold stripe and with "a lot of granite" it probably would be too dominating to suit me and most others. #2 is easier on the eye and I prefer it.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i thought number 1 looks liked brown fantasy which is actually a marble with all the risks of marble vs granite. make sure you test a sample of both as they could both be marble.
    and apparently i am the lone liker of number 1! it is very different and while 2 is also pretty i like the wave type movement to the first one.
    good luck!

• gone_south
    9 years ago

Prefer #1

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I think #1 is drop dead gorgeous and unique...love it...#2 is ok.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Both are beautiful in their own way. I think #2 is the safe choice, but if you like a bold, dramatic look then # 1 will do that. If you do go with #1, I'd choose a very simple, plain backsplash, such as a white glossy subway tile, because that stone will be the focal point of the kitchen. I'd probably choose # 2, simply because I like a quieter look and it is a gorgeous piece of stone. Both are lovely, though, its a tough choice.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Both are lovely. You won't go wrong with either one. Make yourself happy. Said the lady with absolute black.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Have you posted a plan of your kitchen? Consider how these will look once templated into the cuts you will need. Will you have clashing stripes, or do you have an island where that entire striped piece can fit, uninterrupted, etc.?

• eam44
    9 years ago

They're very pretty stones, equally dark and busy I think, but as there is "a LOT of granite" in this kitchen might you perhaps consider adding other surfaces as well to keep your space from looking, well, monolithic? You could have stainless steel around your clean-up zone, or soapstone as an ovens landing zone. The image below shows the juxtaposition of marble and butcher block in the prep zone, for example.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Also, I agree with linelle that these may not appeal to buyers and shouldn't be considered "timeless". They will be dated like everyone else's choices. If you love them, go with them.

Another option would be to use a quieter, brighter stone (or even quartz) for the perimeter and keep these bolder stones for an island.

Keep in mind that with either stone you are considering, seams are going to be an issue. If you are particular about matching you have to be there when the stones are templated. Your backsplash choice should be quiet.

This post was edited by EAM44 on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 15:37