Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctbert

What cookware do you recommend for my new induction range?

ctbert
9 years ago

Thanks for any feedback
I have a few cast iron pieces and that is it!
So I want some stainless - any recommended brands or lines?
Will be buying piecemeal since we're out of $$$ at this point!
Thanks

Comments (43)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

ctbert,
    I have an eclectic collection of vessels - I watch for intro specials to try something new. I also have an eclectic set of Calphalon in the basement - Most of those were captured at Bed, Bath & Beyond. They don't work on the induction - I guess I will get rid of them someday.

That being said - there are so many options. You can get some inexpensive sets at Costco, K-Mart, and Ikea. I don't have any of these but you can check out old posts on this topic.

The fun thing is they all work as long as the magnet sticks to the pan. They all will make some noise - but once the fan is blowing and the pans are warmed up - the noise is less.

Let's see
    I started with a couple of small All Clad pans about 30 years ago and still have them.
    1 qt, 1.5 qt, and a small skillet.
    I added a large saute pan and a pasta pot rom Williams Sonoma in the All Clad line.

I also have a small egg poacher - which can double as a pan from All Clad and a Calphalon SS that I can't remember where it came from. LOL

I bought a Staub to try with my induction burner before my cooktop.

Sur La Table had a special on a Demeyere skillet - and it jumped into my basket. Later, I added a couple ScanPans from SurLaTable as well - a small IQ and a larger CTQ(or something like that)

As I looked at what I owned - I realized I was missing the mid range and was in a small store in Pennsylvania and picked up a small set of missing items - including a 4 and 6 qt pots.

Then, I was in the LeCr outlet a year ago and bought a nice roasting pan for a good deal. This year, I snagged a 2 qt SS LeCr (didn't even know they made SS) and I think my collection is more or less complete.

But wait - I missed my LeCr tea kettle that I picked up at a local home and garden store.

I am sure I missed something.

As I said above - they all work. I do recommend a good base for heat transfer. Any of the major brands will be acceptable.

My favorite - I love the shiny CIA pans. They are so pretty. They work the same as all of the others - I just love their finish.

Have fun shopping :-)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

My everyday pots (2 qt., 3 qt. and 5 qt.) are the Tramontina all-clad from Wal-Mart (basically All-Clad knockoffs, I guess -- I don't really know because I would never spend the money on real All-Clad). They're great. I don't use the pans from that line, because I have a cast iron pan and a large ceramic pan that I use most frequently, along with a couple of smaller non-stick pans that also work well. I also have one very small IKEA pot (1 quart) because the Tramontina didn't come in that size, and two big stock pots from the BB&B house line (Denmark?) that serve their purpose (simmering large quantities of soup) well.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

I have several Scan Pans that I absolutely love. But I don't have a big set of anything. I really do use my Scap Pans a lot, but I also have a few cast iron abd stainless pieces as well. I have a large stockpot that is magnetic. I also use an old enameled cast iron dutch oven a lot.

So basically if I were you I'd figure out what shape/function you are missing and try finding those on sale. I was at SLT the other day and they had their Scan Pans on sale I think for 30% off.

Congrats on your induction cooktop. I love mine so much. My friends are so tired of hearing about it!

• new-beginning
    9 years ago

I recently purchased the Denmark (from BB&B) 6 qt pot (smaller version of a stock pot) which I love - I also have a couple of cast iron/enamel items from IKEA, along with a couple of pots I already had which just happened to work with induction. Do check out the Denmark line - it is quite reasonable and a nice medium weight (I refuse to purchase thin/lightweight items). CMM

• bookmom41
    9 years ago

Like everyone else, I have a mix of pieces. I have a set of Cuisinart Multiclad Pro, and then a tiny Tramontina saucepan, a cast iron skillet and a comal, and one non-stick skillet from Target which was rather inexpensive (Calphalon, maybe?) Every single piece works well for its use. Agreed you will love induction--I can't imagine going back to either gas or regular electric.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

I love my induction cooktop too and I will never go back to gas or glass top. Finding pots and pans was a headache. I'm shocked at how little choice there is in the marketplace.

Basically none of my old pots and pans worked and my stove broke two weeks before Thanksgiving. I bought two Calphalon at Bed Bath and Beyond and managed to make a complete Thanksgiving dinner with these two pots. I then attended the biannual Allclad sale and got all the pots and pans I needed at deeply discounted prices - much cheaper than you can find anywhere else. I was shocked at the huge choice and most were first quality.

Allclad factory biannual sale in December and I think July at Washington County Fair and Expo Center : 2151 North Main Street : Washington, PA 15301

I also discovered that even if a magnet works on a pot doesn't mean it will work on an induction stove. Buy pots and pans that are labelled to work with induction - those are the only ones that will work.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I have the tramontina pots and pans from Walmart. They got good reviews and are affordable. I have been happy with them!

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

I second the bargain BB&B Denmark pots -- have the big one with steamer & pasta inserts plus the asparagus pot. Curiously, they do not mention induction on the box unless recently updated. I've found two dirt cheap Farberware pots that are amazing. My 5 qt sauté is Cusinart Green Gourment. My favorite pieces, tho, are Anolon Copper. None of these were expensive. I did luck out and score a 4pc set of WMF deeply discounted at Sierra Trading Post, but even at 70% off retail, they were $$$. Have fun shopping. Bargains can be had!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I also have a variety. The cookware that survived the change are

10" cast iron skillet
    6.5 qt Tramontina enameled cast iron dutch oven
    4 or 5 qt ECI DO- no name brand
    All Clad - 1 qt saucepan, 8" skillet, 3 qt saute pan

Bought to replace previous Revere Ware DH had when we got married -
    Ikea 365+ set as well as the stock pot and larger non-stick skillet. I like them fine, but my 5 qt seems to have corrosion issues and I don't salt until the water is boiling.
    Fagor Chef 10 qt pressure cooker
    All Clad 6 qt French Braiser - bought this to reduce the amount of batch cooking I did in my 3 qt. LOVE sauté pans.
    12" Calphalon omelet pan from Home Goods. Warped, so I don't recommend this line.
    WMF non-stick skillet, 10" I think, that came with the cooktop for Autochef. I use it when I fry an egg for myself. I haven't explored this feature.

I'm looking for a 3-4 qt saucier and may end up with Vollrath Tribute. We'll see. I'd like to try Demeyere, too.

Look at lines with pouring lips for your saucepans. All-Clad SS and Tramontina don't have this, which means liquid dribbles down the side. The D5 and Copperclad do, if you find a good AC deal. Check out the irregulars at cookwarenmore.com for better prices.
    I got my 6 qt braiser from Amazon Warehouse for even less than CnM.

Aluminum is where you'll get the best response and Vollrath lines will give you more of that for your money with their induction capable lines. Optio is their disk bottom and Tribute is their fully clad. They just aren't pretty.

Ok, copper is best but de Buyer's Prima Matera is ridiculously expensive. No lip, either.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Anyone tried circulon symmetry on induction?

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

I have induction. When I first switched to induction some years ago, it was more difficult to find pots. Now it's quite easy. Induction is becoming more popular each day. As for what brand, the sky is the limit...as little or as much as you want to spend. I guess it depends on how much you cook. I got my at Kohl's and they've served and still serving me well. I think they're Faberware. Stainless steel as in the old revere ware and such, will not work on induction.

• julieboulangerie
    9 years ago

I love cookware. Here is what I've ended up with:
    Clad:
    Sauce pans: All Clad Stainless 1.5 qt and 4 qt
    Sauce/Saucier: Demeyere Industry 5 Essential Pan 3.5 qt
    Saucier: Mauviel M'Collection, 1.7 qt
    Frying pans: All Clad Stainless-- 12" w/lid, 7.5" french skillet
    Non-stick: Scanpan CTX 8"

Disk Bottom:
    Ikea 365 fry pans, non-stick, 9", 11",13"
    Ikea 365 small sauce pan, 1 qt
    Stockpot, brand unknown- came from Costco

Enameled Cast Iron
    3.5 qt round Le Creuset
    5.5 qt round Le Creuset
    6.75 wide round Le Creuset
    3.5 qt braiser Le Creuset
    6 qt Lodge Color

Miscellaneous:
    10 " Lodge cast iron skillet (actually, my least favorite item. I hate it!)
    Chantal red enameled tea kettle- dislike this too. The enamel is chipping off of the inside.
    Cuisinart multi-clad pro roasting pan

I am not a huge fan of the All-Clad sauce pans. They are a pain to clean. I blanched green beans once, and cleaning off the green scum took multiple attempts. Love the Mauviel, and the Demeyere. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go all Demeyere in the sauce pans. They are comfortable to hold, cook wonderfully, and clean up well. If I had to do it cheap, I'd buy the Costco Kirkland signature set of 18/10 stainless.

I like the Scanpan, but don't think it was worth the money. The bottom discolored pretty quickly, but no impact on performance. The Ikea 365 non-stick skillets were totally worth the $50 or so I spent on all three combined. The All-Clad 12" frying pan is great. I don't really need the 7.5" skillet.

The dutch ovens are a sickness, really. I can't stop collecting them. I bought the Lodge specifically for no-knead bread, and I abuse it. The interior enamel is crazed and stained from heating it up with nothing in it, and at quite a high temperature.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

I love love my Ciculon Infinite which is very similar to circulon symmetry. Infinite May be a tad heavier. Works superbly on induction. Dishwasher safe, 500 degree oven, metal utensil safe, and a pleasure to use. Oh, and nonstick. The smaller saucepans can be purchased with straining lids. What more could you ask for? See potsandpans.com or farberwarecookware.com. I have various pieces and they all work very well, clad and disk. No noise for me.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

All Clad work great but they're not great if you're on a budget. Sur la Table had a great set that picked up for just about $300 (on sale.) Two saucepans, a skillet, a sauté, and a stockpot, all with lids. They're nice, as nice as my All Clad stuff for a fraction of the cost.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

i have Le Creuset and All-clad and lodge...all work great....

for AC, there is a site "cookwareandmore" that sells "seconds" and they are fab....they have a 50% sale twice a year for even better deals...u can call them and they will tell u when it is....and get on their email/mail list...

LC, see if u have and outlet near you, you can great deals there.. that's were i got mine..get on their email list and they will send u coupons...
    the more u spend the higher the %....
    they are $$$$ so i just bought a piece at a time....

lodge u can get anywhere....

also if u go to garage sales, there is usually some lodge or other cast iron cookware for sale that is a steal....

you can also check out home goods/tjmaxxx/marshalls for cookware....

LOVE my induction!!!!

• ctbert
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! You guys are great! Lots of choices - I am going to check out Home Goods this week-end. And I have tons of BB & B coupons
    Now I have some questions:
    coco99, what is WS? Williams Sonoma?
    strayer, what is SLT?
    MizLizzie, what is WMF?

• ctbert
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bookmom41
    How do you like the Cusinart Multiclad pro? How is it to clean?
    Thanks

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

I love induction. I have, in order of frequency of use:

Pots: Farberware classic, bought individually only in the sizes I needed (1 qt, 2 - 2 qt, 3 qt). Inexpensive and fits my hands nicely.

Cast iron skillets: 5 (!) in varying sizes. I use them all regularly except for the grill pan. I had all of them before I got induction. Ed. to add: These double as my pizza pans. I make the kids their own pizzas in the small ones (which originally belonged to DH's mom; I did not buy 5 iron skillets... though to be fair, I might have).

Pressure cooker: Fissler 4- and 8-qt set. Pressure cooking on induction is FAST. I also use these as normal pots (hence not buying the larger size Farberwares). I chose this brand because the bottoms are wide enough to work on my largest hob.

Enameled cast iron Dutch oven: Fontignac from BB&B. (I use this about as often as the pressure cooker.)

Tea kettle: red one from BB&B, I think Kitchenaid. I chose it on the basis of magnet stick-ability and ease of opening the spout.

Big stock pot: from WalMart, also chosen on the basis of magnet sticking ability. Works fine, but now that I am making stock in the pressure cooker, I don't really use it. Still keeping it around as long as I have room (in case I ever have shrimp boil for 50, don't you know).

Good luck, and have fun shopping!

This post was edited by northcarolina on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 10:11

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wow- Glad to see I am not an anomoly! Lots of other eclectics out there.
    WS is Williams Sonoma
    SLT is SurLaTable
    WMF is WMF and I put a link to their pans below. Gosh - I don't have any of these beauties. I have to look to see if I am missing any sizes.

Also - for the Canadians out there - Tupperware is marketing induction cookware and the vessels look just like Curling Stones - take a look - I can only put one link per post but you can search.

Here is a link that might be useful: WMF

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Couldn't resist - here is the link to the Tupperware Curling Stone cookware - They call it the Chef's series. You can decide. I have not tried any of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tupperware Chef Series

• alex9179
    9 years ago

The steel on WMF cleans like a dream.

• Teehee1984
    9 years ago

Aonther vote for All Clad. You can pick up pieces at Marshalls / Home Goods / TJ Maxx. I just picked up a Le Cruset pan at Marshall's. It is a "second" but works for me! The price was good too.

• bookmom41
    9 years ago

ctbert, I love the Cuisinart Multi Clad Pro. It is a pleasure to cook with it as it is very responsive and the pieces have a rolled rim (glad someone else mentioned the rolled rim which All Clad and Tramontina do not have) so pouring is easy. Clean up is the same as any other stainless clad piece--while it is dishwasher safe, I usually hand wash it and dish soap and a dobie do the trick. A quick rub with Barkeeper's Friend makes it look brand new if you are so inclined.

Honestly, though, I make tea in my little Tramontina pot nearly every day. It doesn't pour nicely, so I just pour over the sink. It cleans up just as perfectly. You might want to check out handles--for me and my smaller hands, Cuisinart's handles are far more comfortable than some of the other brands.

You are going to love cooking on induction. It is fast, precise, and excels at holding a constant temperature. I also don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands mentioned in this thread--just get stuff in your price point, and don't feel like everything needs to be the same brand.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

and the pieces have a rolled rim (glad someone else mentioned the rolled rim

Oh, that just reminded me - I am very particular about the handles on pots and pans, more particular than I am about the pans themselves. I just hate uncomfortable handles, and a lot of pots and pans (All Clad included) have uncomfortable handles. The Tramontina handles are very comfortable.

• ReBe231
    9 years ago

I ended up buying Cristel Casteline 5 ply pans with removable handles. I love that the handles are removable so that the pans can be stored in a nested fashion in my drawers. The handles are very secure when attached, but I tend to just cook without them most of the time. They heat evenly on my induction cooktop.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

All-Clad handles are weird. The small pans aren't an issue for me and the large ones have a helper handle to help alleviate how weird the long one is. I wouldn't want a set.

My 6 qt is really a sauteuse, with two small "D" handles. It also has a rolled lip (why only this one?) and is my favorite pan after the 3 qt sauté.

Not sure if you've already started using your induction, but be careful of the heat! I will rarely using anything over medium with stainless and usually low/med-low for non-stick. The exception is bring water to a boil. Boost is fun! With SS, watch for the Leidenfrost effect. That's when it's ready for you to add the oil, then the food (meats in particular). You don't need it on high to achieve it, just let it preheat on your desired cooking temp to get that water ball.
    I don't sear or wok because I don't have venting. Cast iron or carbon steel are good for that application.

You are likely aware of all that, but someone searching may find the info handy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video of Leidenfrost effect

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    9 years ago

That was a cool video Alex9179!

I'd like to hear more about what is different about cooking with induction.

I love cooking with gas and have used gas most of my life. About two years ago we bought a house which has a flat glass top electric range. I hate cleaning it. I'm not thrilled with performance. But it works.

When we remodel, my instinct is to go with a gas range. Should I consider induction? If so, I'd like to hear why from real cooks, not from salespeople.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Induction and gas have very similar response times. Fast heating and, when you turn down the heat, also a fast decrease. I think induction is slightly ahead in the low simmer category. Some gas ranges can be adjusted to maintain a very, very gentle heat but all induction are capable of it.

Then there's not sweating bullets while cooking! Keeps the kitchen cooler than gas or radiant.

You might want to use google with something like "benefits of induction". There is a lot of info out there.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

babyg, I think induction is superior to gas. It heats water to boiling faster than gas. As soon as you change the setting on induction, it immediately responds just as you turn a flame down on gas. Plus there is more control on low simmer with induction.

Cleaning is a dream because nothing burns onto the top, very different from regular glass top stoves where it was a pain sometimes to clean burned on food around the rim of the heating element. Plus there are no parts to take apart to clean. I either wipe up with a damp sponge or spritz glass cleaner and wipe with a paper towel - that's it and my stove looks pristine after two years of heavy cooking. Because the heat is generated by magnets, the stove top itself stays cool and/or warm - never super hot so you can even wipe up a spill quickly even when cooking. Of course it can be hot enough to burn your hand if you are boiling something- but not hot enough to cause a fire with a paper or fabric towel.

No gas smell and no worries about gas leaks. No worry about allergies (for those with allergies and/or asthma) to the gas or additives added to gas for safety reasons so you can smell a leak. In the past, I had a gas stove that, when the power was off, I could still light and use it to cook. However the newer gas stoves I've had were all electric start and there was no option to light it manually so the advantage of having a functional stove during a power outage, at least for some models doesn't exist anymore.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Of course it can be hot enough to burn your hand if you are boiling something- but not hot enough to cause a fire with a paper or fabric towel.

Actually, it can scorch a paper towel. Some people use paper towels under their pans to keep the cooktop clean, but I personally won't unless I'm there watching every second. In fact, I just bought a silicon mat to use under cast iron.

I agree with everything else that's been said about induction however -- I would never go back to gas or regular electric. One of my favorite things is that I can set the hob to go off by itself, so for example, I know exactly how long and at what setting it takes to make my oatmeal, so I set it for that long and it goes off. I can take a shower while it's cooking!

The downside is you can't scorch peppers :-)

• ctbert
    Original Author
    9 years ago

babyg
    Just search right here on the kitchen forum and you will find lots of info about induction - that's where I learned about it!
    Also check out this link:

Here is a link that might be useful: The induction site

• ctbert
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very cool video Alex9179!
    By the way, my husband just put a cast iron pot with olive oil in it on power boost! I have been telling him for years not to turn burners on high unless he's boiling water, but it never sunk in until now! House still smells like burning oil!
    Anyway, I love it so far but haven't done much cooking because the counters just went in and we don't have a sink yet!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Cast iron.

• bookmom41
    9 years ago

Yup--induction cooking is amazing, but I am here to reiterate that yes, the glass gets hot enough to burn your hand and yes, the glass gets hot enough to scorch a paper towel badly. I've done both. :(
    Use common sense--the glass will heat up as a result of the hot cooking vessel sitting on it. I burned my hand when I tried to wipe the glass under a pot in which I'd just finished boiling pasta. The scorch happened when I put paper towels under a comal, and put a old WhirlyPop on top (my version of a life hack) to make popcorn. It took alot of ceram cleaner and all kinds of scrubbing to remove the resultant mess.

• voila
    9 years ago

My favorite frying pan is the Kitchen Aid skillet from Sears. I live in fear of Sears going out of business. I think I may get a couple to tide me over. Love my induction cooktop!

• ctbert
    Original Author
    9 years ago

a2gemini
    You're right about the Tupperware/Curling Stones, though probably many of us wouldn't have noticed till the Winter Olympics came around! Way over my budget at this point in any case.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

voila, you'll be happy to know that Target carries KitchenAid cookware. I have a KA nonstick skillet that I like a lot (and also works on induction).

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I think the takeaway here is to not put all your eggs in one basket. Each material has it's pluses and minuses. I like a variety of materials and the following is a quick rundown of what I use and a brief observation of them.

SS for induction is great because it's reasonably responsive with an aluminum or copper core. Getting as much of that core material as possible will make the induction really shine when a recipe calls for rapid temp changes.
    One of my favorite things is that they can go in the dishwasher and you can use some heavy duty cleaners in case of an oops.
    I've had one warp on me, but the others are nice and flat.
    You'll also be looking at clad base vs fully clad. What and how you're cooking will enter into the decision making. Skillets and sauciers really use the heat that radiates up the sides. A stock pot doesn't, and the big ones are usually clad-base, only, anyway.

Cast iron is great for maintaining a temperature. Braising, frying in oil, and such. Wonderful for stovetop to oven cooking and searing. It doesn't heat evenly and is not responsive at all. Whether enameled or seasoned metal, it's a good tool.

Carbon steel needs seasoning and reapplying it is a given. Metal tools will scrape it off. Great for high heat cooking. You'll find very reasonably priced woks at an Asian market. Lots of cooks will use this material in place of non-stick. They do warp, and that can be a pain on glass when they start spinning.

Cast iron and carbon steel are at their best when they're used regularly to maintain their seasoning. Acid in food will wear on seasoning, so simmering something like tomato based dishes isn't advised. They are hand wash only.

Non-stick is awesome for scrambled eggs, fish, and other delicate preparations. It's best for low to med-low cooking. The coating will wear over time and the dishwasher speeds that up. I would get an inexpensive one.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Ctbert
    I was in the Canadian Soo last winter.
    The whole town was so excited about the Olympics and winning the gold medal in curling.

Alex- great overview of the advantages of each including when you want heat to be on the bottom or up the sides.

I did go with the ScanPan for the non stick and hoping it stays on the pan.

• mountaineergirl
    9 years ago

I have the Emeril stainless cookware made by all-clad. Don't know if it's just a cheaper version of all-clad or what but I absolutely love it. Got it at BB&B with a 20% off coupon so the price was awesome. It washes up beautifully - like new.

I also have a large cast iron Lodge skillet and a couple enameled cast iron pots from Macy's that are Bella brand. Very inexpensive and looks like the day I bought them. Even after cooking tomato-based soups etc - the inside has no staining at all (unlike one I bought at SAMs a couple years back).

I also have a small cast iron "light" that I think is that Denmark brand that I use practically daily. For eggs, fish etc I want to get a larger one of those. It acts like cast iron yet non-stick and lighter weight.

I inherited a couple pots from my mom that I was certain I'd have to give up after switching to induction. Not so! She must've known quality cookware. Both are stainless yet induction-compatible. I was so thrilled!

Cooking with induction is awesome and I'll never own anything else

• bubblyjock
    6 years ago

ReBe231 - if you're still around! How do you like your Cristel cookware? I'm interested in it because it's purportedly high quality, with removable handles and flat lids, but it's hard to find much feedback on it! Thanks. :)

• coruscatingsea
    6 years ago

I have tried several stainless steel cookware and here are some of the best ones I have used:

Cristel: https://www.dasallas.com/pages/cristel (very innovative)

Demeyere: https://www.dasallas.com/collections/demeyere/main-cookware

Hammer Stahl: https://www.dasallas.com/pages/hammer-stahl

Mauviel: https://www.dasallas.com/pages/mauviel

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County