Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chellamaral

Rutt cabinets for 2k, how did I do???

chellamaral
13 years ago

We are waiting to close on a new home that needs total renovation.

We came across these Rutt cabinets at Habitat for Humanity that had been removed from 1000 square ft kitchen. This was only 1/3 of the cabinetry that was pulled, someone else had already purchased the huge island and all the mullion glass front cabinets! Dang!

My initial intention was to use these cabinets in our office, so we did not purchase the Thermador glass cooktop or hood.

After pricing around for cabinetry, I am now wondering if I should try to match up what I bought for the kitchen remodel.Does anyone have an idea of what I would have paid for this retail? This is what I have:

2)Drawer Base 24"

2)Base 12" w/cookie sheet dividers

1)Base 48"w/four pullout shelves

2)Wall 24 x 40"

1)Wall 18 x 40" open shelves

1)Oven 30 x 96" w/cookie sheet dividers in top cabinet

All are painted inside and out(there are a few dents/scuffs)with soft close drawers. My purchase included the granite countertop/matching granite wall backsplash AND all the crown molding.

To complete the kitchen, I will need about the same amount of cabinetry. The Thermador cooktop and hood is still available and probably could get it for around 500.00...

I just don't have any idea of what it would cost if I had to buy more Rutt.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (23)

• mamabear2010
    13 years ago

OMG!!!! Those are beautiful!!!!

I don't know anything about Rutt and pricing (sorry), but WOW - that is a GREAT PRICE - you probably would've had to pay that for the granite alone (if not more).

CONGRATS!!

• Yvonne B
    13 years ago

You did good!!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Congrats!

• chellamaral
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All I know is that this Rutt is a full-custom made cabinet.I contacted a Rutt dealer and she said this is a very high end cabinet. I'm afraid to know what they will cost now that I would really like to try and match them. They were just delivered and I can get a good look at them. They sure ARE high quality!

• michiganrachel
    13 years ago

What you got looks gorgeous- you obviously got a great deal.

If you cant afford the same brand for the rest of the cabinets, maybe you could find a different brand you like and get a different color so it will look like you planned it that way. In my kitchen (not yet installed), the perimeter is white cabinets and the island is walnut. If you lo through the finished kitchen blog, you will see many kitchens with different color/finishes on the cabinets throughout the kitchen.

Good luck - I can't wait to see what you do with the kitchen!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

That is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• calypsochick
    13 years ago

We used Rutt cabinets in our 7'2.5" wide x 8'3" galley kitchen. You did amazingly!

You can see our cabinets here: www.pinkroots.blogspot.com

• chellamaral
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nice pics calypsochick! Ca you give me an idea of your cabinet budget? I realize the inset is $$$

• chellamaral
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi calypochick,

I haven't been very successful with finding out what paint these cabinets were finished with. The labels say Creme, yours look to be the same? Please advise. I would like to have a local fabricator build open shelving.

• calypsochick
    13 years ago

For our cabinets, they used Valspar 80 White Paint, 10 Flat Sheen. And for our size kitchen, it was about 20k. We did have some awkward areas to deal with.

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

They look gorgeous! So will you post pics after they are installed?

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

wow - that is awesome!
    I really wanted cabs like my sister's (oak with medium stain) but as I've read on here again and again about looking for used cabs I've decided to go that way (if I can find some nice ones). It's reusing something, saving money to use elsewhere and honestly it wouldn't take much to be better than what i have - lol!

I don't know what I'll do if they need painted tho - haven't thought about what color would work for me. I have months to think about that tho.

And I think even if they come as base cabs w/doors I think they could be changed to drawers - which is what i want for base cabs. It'll be so much easier on my back, legs etc.

I'm going to go to our restore soon - even tho I'm not ready for them! dbf can store them for me. I think...

what a deal you got - and it's just super that you got more to go with the original buy.

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

chell

You my friend have an amazing deal!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutt

• never_ending
    13 years ago

I want to cry and whine hysterically and say,"NO FAIR!!!!" but the 'bargainmeister' in me is too excited and happy for you!!! =D

• chellamaral
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all! It will probably be a year until I can install, I just hope that I can afford to purchase the remainder of the Rutt cabinets I need and that they will match!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

Sorry this is really hard to see, but the only photo I have handy.

The brochure for my house shows my Rutt Kitchen. See the bottom left and top right photos. It is about a 15' galley (uppers only on one side). Then a subzero with pull out pantry shelves on either side, book case, mail center, trash.

The cabinets alone, uninstalled, cost $67,000 7 years ago.

Enjoy your find!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutt Kitchen

• chellamaral
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh My mtnrdredux! It looks like I am going to need an additional 30" sink base, a corner base, two 15" bases, two 24" bases.. I better plan on open shelving for uppers for now? I have no idea $$, but by the sounds of it, I might be in trouble!

• rodney1939
    9 years ago

I did not see pricing for the Rutt cabinets. I bought about 20 feet of base and upper cabinets, and 10 feet of tall cabinets, in 1976. At the time they were the best, and cost twice as much as the next competitors. I installed them, every one square and solid, and there they sit after almost 40 years, like new except for wear around the knobs.

Now, they are going to demolish my house, and I want to find out what price to put on them on craigslist.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Free, that would be the only way anyone will take 40 yr old cabinets of any brand.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

Not sure I agree. I installed a Rutt kitchen two years ago. The cabinets are to die for. Anyone who knows cabinetrywould pay you something for them. Maybe a thousand or two?

• Jocelyn Baylow
    8 years ago

I don't agree with "millworkman" above at all. He probably has never seen a high end Rutt cabinet. Nothing like it available today. I have the raised panel doors that INSET into the cabinet face opening, no cheap/cheat overlapping. Furthermore, the openings have a 1/4" beaded edge. The spacing around every door, 4 walls of a kitchen plus island, is perfect 35 years later, as is the antiqued cranberry stained finish. Rutt provided me with the stain, antiquing fluid, & satin lacquer when I purchased them so I could finish the baseboard, doors & windows, trim, ceiling moldings,... to match. (The walls were hand stenciled, the counter tops butcher block, pewter knobs (hidden recessed hinges, stainless sink & appliances, real barn board wide pine floors (hand finished) with hand braided rugs...magazine worthy WOW!) Rutt still makes these inset door cabinets on special order.

• Jocelyn Baylow
    8 years ago

I'd love to know what "Rodney 1939" did with those cabinets. Wish I'd seen this before, would have told Rodney to sell them for the same price he paid then, if removed carefully. I see this in high end furniture that has been well taken care of & is in like-new condition: ex. an $8,000 solid cherry dining table in 1985 sells used for $8,000 now, even more if it has an inlaid veneer top of several woods. These utilize crafts & skills & tools almost lost today.