Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trish_welham

Kitchen Addition and Remodel

fishmom
9 years ago

https://plus.google.com/photos/108733720418301650730/albums/6077575496904032721/6077575528894019106?pid=6077575528894019106&oid=108733720418301650730

Here is a link (hopefully it works!) to a pic of our layout plan for our new kitchen. It is currently 10x14 and is bumping out approx 4 ft to become 14x14ish. We are also bumping out our dining room 6 ft and that space will become part of the kitchen, accommodating a 4x4 corner pantry and 6x6 island.

We've already had lots of mishaps and stalling with the architecture/engineering process over the last 6 months, but work has finally began and footings are being poured this week. :)

Still up in the air:
Cooking- DH would like double ovens in either the NXR 48" range or a 36" cooktop with double wall ovens. I am open to a 36" range with the Breville Smart Oven to supplement.

Location of dishwasher- right or left of the sink? On the right it will bump up against a corner cabinet.

Important to us:
Seating for 5 kids at the island.
Large walkways and work areas for multiple cooks.
Light from window and slider.
Storage for canning and cooking supplies.
Coffee prep area.
Stand alone freezer and fridge from Frigidaire.

Thanks for any input!

Comments (14)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Your link didn't work.

• fishmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hmm, trying image upload...

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I would expand those 36" walkways to at least 42" .

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I would expand those 36" walkways to at least 42" .

• blfenton
    9 years ago

With counter overhangs, unless already taken into account, those aisle widths will become 34" wide and with 5 kids plus adults will be way too narrow.

• User
    9 years ago

A 6x6 island will be difficult to clean the middle, and will definately require a seam in the counter. Why do you need to seat 5 when the table isn't even in raise your voice distance from the island. One or the other is redundant, especially so if there is also a DR not being shown.

60'' is way too much space between the island and range. I'd prefer to separate the fridge and freezer to bookend the counter space in between them. It's more functional, and with the addition of a MW in a base or upper between them, it creates the perfect snack zone.

• fishmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am accounting for the counter overhang for a full 36, but it's interesting that you say 42. What we've had up to now is 30ish so I thought I was being generous, lol! I may see if I can work that in! Thanks!!

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

I would move the dining table closer to the sliding doors and move the pantry to the back corner.

I really think 5 feet between the range and island is too wide. I would not go more than 4 feet.

What do you intend to put on the wall across from the range?

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

Maybe a narrower but longer island. I'd switch the table and pantry. Can you put windows on the wall in addition to or move the sliders so the table can set in front of them?

This post was edited by deickhoff0 on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 0:14

• fishmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

double post

This post was edited by Fishmom5 on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 12:39

• fishmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The rest of the dining room doesn't show up on my drawing. It goes back another several feet and has bookshelves on the other end of the table. It is more of a homeschool room right now. We want the additional eating space at the island for parties and so that we don't have to pack up the school work constantly for the kids to eat. :)

A narrower island is a good idea. I didn't think about how hard to clean it might be. And that would solve the walkway issue.

• fishmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And thank you for the idea of separating the fridge and freezer! I love how you all can help me thing outside the box. :)

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Swap the fridge and freezer and split them. The fridge will get more use and by reversing them you'll get it out of your cooking zone and closer to prep. Split them, one on each end and the middle will be snack zone.

• fishmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a pic of the downstairs layout of the whole house. I'm afraid it might be blurry, but it will hopefully give a better idea of where the kitchen is/will be in relation to everything else.