Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

How do I know if a sink will fit?

wi-sailorgirl
11 years ago

We're planning on doing a kitchen update in the near future. Since this is more of a sprucing up than a redo, we're doing all the planning ourselves (that is, there are no kitchen designers or general contractors involved). Because we have the luxury of a little time before we start, and because prior renovations have taught me to make EVERY decision as early in the process as possible, I'm trying to choose some components and then keep an eye out for sales and deals.

I'd like get a large single-bowl undermount sink and I have my eye on the 32-inch Krauss sink. Because our sink is in front of a window, we don't have full counter depth there (the windowsill takes up a couple of inches) so it's questionable whether the sink and faucet will fit. I've been able to find schematic drawings for the sink and the faucet, but what I don't know is how much counter you need to have in front of the sink and between the sink and faucet.

I won't be saving myself any money if I buy a sink that ends up not fitting, so how do I know?

Comments (7)

• Melissa-Kitchen
    11 years ago

Good question! I am researching sinks too so I looked online and found this:

When a sink is undermounted beneath a granite counter, several measurements must be accounted for. The sink itself must be three inches in width smaller than the cabinet that is being installed, while the granite needs a minimum border of three inches of width around the entirety of the sink. More than 3-inches is fine, but less than this amount may stress the integrity of the stone, leading it to crack or break.

Read more: How Much Granite Should Overhang on an Undermount Sink? : eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_6156860_much-should-overhang-undermount-sink_.html#ixzz2C2nrD0u8

Hope this helps! A warning that I have no experience installing sinks so maybe someone else will have a first hand answer.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

You might want to 'bump out' the sink. The linked thread(there are others) discusses this issue of a window in front of the sink. One of the posters(teresa518)commented that she can't reach the window but likes the bump out b/c she has room for the faucet.
    Also it might help to draw the sink/faucet specs on a piece of cardboard so you can visualize where all will be positioned. If I can't see a picture it doesn't exist for me LOL
    I don't have a window in front of the sink but I did buy a 30'W 19D undermount sink. I was really concerned about room for the faucet/soap/filter faucet, even though the plumbing supply store told me it would fit. You can rest assured that I would have been on the salesman's doorstep if it didn't(I found out during the purchase that we are neighbors-he lives 10 blocks from me).
    HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: sink bump out

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both for the very helpful replies! A sink bump out is not in our plans as I don't want to replace the lower cabinets (just reface them). That's a good idea to do a mock up as well.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

If your cabinets are shallower depth than the standard 24" deep, then only a top mount sink will fit in them. And that sink will need at least a 36" wide sink base.

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks live wire, for weighing in. We spent some quality time with a tape measure tonight and it looks like that sink will fit. The cabinet is plenty wide and the cabinets are the standard 24 inches. Looks like we can have a minimum of 3 inches of counter in the front and there is 4.5 inches behind the sink for the faucet. Thanks for walking me through that everyone.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

wi-sailor: So many details, amazing the number of details that will keep you up at night. You can check that off your list now. :)

• ashik
    11 years ago

word of warning..... we just installed a 30" Krauss - first off - it is like a bathtub! I love it - but it is huge! We, too, have a window behind - and bought a faucet, which I also love, which has a handle that only goes forward - not back at all - so no worries about hitting the backsplash (non-existant at present!) The word of warning is that the sink did NOT end up fitting under our cabinet and the granite guys had to rip the woodwork around the cabinet doors to get it in.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022