Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please recommend a sealer for my backsplash/grout

Posted by marftha (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 15:32

My contractor finished grouting my new backsplash yesterday. The backsplash is a mosaic tile comprised of glass, stone (marble, I think), foil painted tiles, and "deco" tiles. Many of the painted and deco tiles have an uneven/rough surface, so, given that with the stone tiles in the mix, I want to seal the backsplash as well as the grout. (The grout used was Mapei Keracolor U (unsanded).)

I've read good things about Miracle Sealant 511 impregnating sealer, but the specs only mention use on sanded grout. Can it be used on unsanded grout?

Do I need to use 2 different sealers -- one foe the grout, and another for just the tiles? I really hope not, because my tiles are only 1/2" x 1/2.

I'm also unsure how long to wait before I seal. I've read anything from 72 hours to 30 days.

TIA for any suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please recommend a sealer for my backsplash/grout

Miracle Grout Shield Non-Sanded

http://www.marblewarehouse.com/servlet/the-852/Miracle-Grout-Shield-Non-dsh-Sanded-dsh-1/Detail?gclid=COeblN-zxbMCFUjZQgod0HkArw

Why are you sealing it and not the contractor that installed the tile?? IMO, it's the contractors job to finish, not yours.

o
RE: Please recommend a sealer for my backsplash/grout

Umm, it looks like that product is a grout additive, to be mixed in with the grout instead of water, and since the grouting is already done, that won't work.

I'm looking for a sealer that I can apply to both my tile and non sanded grout to seal both, and something that is OK to use on the glass tiles in the backsplash.

Anyone?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here