Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jody7sharp

Layout help with Microwave!

jody7sharp
11 years ago

Hello!

I have recently found this forum and have been learning a lot. We are going to be building a new home, ground break in two weeks. We have no idea what we are doing, but I love to do research online so I hope I can figure it all out! This is a dream house; it should be "perfect" (within our budget).

It is supposed to be a custom home but we used the builders model and changed a few things. I'm hoping you can help me.

Here is my trouble: where do I put my microwave? (and warning, I am pretty picky for some reason!)

1) supposed to go over the range and I do not like it there; interferes with cooking flow.

2) It was supposed to fit in small 2' nook next to pantry... However that is too narrow, and we want to put our coffee on that counter and it just makes things too crowded. Yes I can grow that by a couple inches, but look at that huge kitchen! Why do I have two appliances stuffed in that tiny 24" space???

3) I was thinking of a builing it into the cabinets in the corner between sink and stove... would it look too strange there (I've seen pics on Houzz and they are OK). Also I bet that is a custom cabinet to put it into, right??? I don't think we will have money for anything custom designed.

4) Do not like it on the counter.

5) Considered drawer... $1000 is too much for me, and I am afraid of lifting hot items up and out of a drawer...

6) Wonder if I have enough space to put on wall where sink is, on one side or the other? Would it be strange all the way at the end of the counter, almost near my sliding glass door?

7) Another idea, on the wall where the range is... but I am trying to be symetrical. Looks like 2' cabinets to right of range. Would I do 1' cabinets to left of range, approx. 2' for microwave, then another 2' for a nice angled corner cabinet? Do I have door clash there?

Please help! If anyone has worked one as a built in, curious to know cost. We do not have any more funds for fancy custom work in the kitchen (I've already spent it)!

Comments (5)

• laughablemoments
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Jody. : )

I'm not sure of what location is best, but I did want to mention that a few folks on here have been happy with their micro drawers that they bought on ebay, for quite a bit less than 1k. They mention things like appreciating looking into the dish that they're stirring and not having to reach too far up or too far down to move containers of hot food around.

Hope you get some good ideas and that your build goes smoothly. That's exciting.

• smiling
    11 years ago

What is that space between the pantry and the mud room? Any chance you could move the pantry over next to the mud room wall, and put the microwave next to the fridge? If you used a microwave drawer there, you could also gain a fridge landing spot that might be good to have.

• coco4444
    11 years ago

Have you considered putting it in a base cab, either on your perimeter or in your island (facing the sink or facing the range)? There has been much discussion about the poor ergonomics of it on these boards, however I use mine 1-2x/daily and am okay with the inconvenience of bending. The improved esthetics and fit in my kitchen plan were worth the dysfunctional placement of this one item.

Base micro cabs generally come in 24, 27, 30" widths. You can put a standard countertop model in them, or buy one with a trim kit.

• coco4444
    11 years ago

You might also want to enlarge your island length. Not sure of the clearances, but if the sink-island clearance is "normal" then the range-island one seems too far. From the drawing it looks like you could have a 4x8' island.

• jody7sharp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, thanks for the good ideas!
    The space between pantry and mudroom is the 24" space that I am debating putting the microwave.
    In actuality, we are 99% certain we are going to switch the fridge and pantry, flip flop them.
    I will take a look to see if a drawer microwave might be in our price range via Ebay or other means.

I am debating now putting my microwave next to the pantry/fridge (in the 24" spot before mudroom). Then putting my coffee area (Keurig, rack for mugs) elsewhere, maybe the countertop to the left of the sink.