Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dominos

Where is your compost bucket?

dominos
12 years ago

Hi all -

I see a lot of 18 in trash pullouts in layouts here. I have been assuming that those contain one bin for trash and one bin for recycling. So I am wondering - where are your (food) compost buckets? In our area they have downsized our trash cans to encourage food composting so we have a bucket of compost every day or so. Are people keeping these under the sink in a pullout? (My kitchen will be small to medium sized so I don't have room for 2 trash pullouts which would of course be ideal). Mine sits in the left side of my double bowl sink but I'm planning a single bowl in the remodel...

Thanks!

Comments (23)

• kellied
    12 years ago

In my old kitchen it was on the kitchen counter. In this new kitchen i plan on putting it a bucket under the kitchen sink. I generate a lot of compostables so it gets emptied frequently.

• leela4
    12 years ago

I have mine in a bucket that sits on top of (really in) the recycle bin, which is behind the trash bin in our pullout. Our gets emptied pretty often as well.

• fourkids4us
    12 years ago

We get fruit flies easily so I keep mine in a Tupperware type container with lid under the kitchen sink. I dont like it on the counter - not appealing to me to look at all day until it gets emptied. I love the one that one person here (forget who, sorry) had specially designed to have it built right into the counter. Cool idea.

• robbcs3
    12 years ago

Most of the frameless cabinet companies offer a 15" wide trash with compost bin & lid built in behind it. I think is is made by Hafele. Mine is just a big tupperware with lid on the counter.

• zelmar
    12 years ago

Ours is attached to the cabinet door under the sink. The lid lifts up when the door is opened.

We use our double trash pull-out for non recyclable trash and paper recycling. We send plastic and can recycling down a chute to the basement.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Before the reno,
    we kept ours in a metal bucket with filter
    under the kitchen sink.

Since the new cabinets were installed,
    I haven't liked the idea of putting it under the sink since I
    always spill the coffee and espresso grounds when dump them in.

So it is now sitting on a shelf on the covered porch
    just outside our kitchen.
    Since the weather is pretty mild in NJ,
    I don't think it is going to be that inconvenient there.

But down the road, I may get a container like Zelmar's
    for inside the sink base cabinet.

• dominos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

zelmar - love your solution! Like francoise47 we make a mess with the coffee grounds and that looks very convenient.

leela4 - do you have to pick up the compost bucket to add to your recycle bin? do you have a pic?

francoise47 - we are in ca but i hate having to go outside everytime I am prepping or cleaning up. I am a wimp.

I feel like when I prep and clean up I am constantly going to the compost so I would love a pull out solution. I'd almost rather put recycling under the sink and compost and trash in my pullout. Anyone do that?

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I'm linking to an old thread with compost bucket/storage options. Mine is just in a decorative pitcher on the countertop... I too am too messy w/ coffee grounds to store it under the sink.. {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Compost options

• Stacey Collins
    12 years ago

I have one like zelamr's. it's in the pantry/coffee area and gets lots of coffee grounds in addition to the vegetable scraps we don't feed our chickens. I've been pretty impressed with it's sturdiness (wet coffee grounds weigh a lot!)and ease of use (nice handled bucket, easy to clean and carry.)
    Stacey

• ControlfreakECS
    12 years ago

We aren't haven't started our reno yet, but right now we keep a bucket on the counter and I definitely wanted something different. We have room for this style trash pull-out. I am hoping my cabinet maker can get it for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: richelieu trash/recycling/anything you want

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

I keep mine out on the back porch as I don't like garbage in the kitch. During prep I collect peelings and stuff in a bowl and then take it all out and dump it in the pail after clearing the plates. I don't have a garbage disposal so everything (except meat scraps) goes out to the compost pile. I prefer to just have clean peelings and such in the bowl in the kitchen and then after doing the dishes I empty the sink drainer and any last minute bits into the bowl, dump the bowl and then wash and let it drain dry in the sink. The actual compost pail gets too icky to have in the kitchen unless I washed it after every meal. It's washed out in the barn, when needed.

Next spring when I get chooks again, there will be a furthur division of organic/compostable stuff that can go out for them, instead of to the pile. Of course if I had a hog, then there'd be no problem with any food waste, but I know I couldn't slaughter my pet piggy, so I can't get one!

L.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Like Liriodendron, I don't like the garbage inside. I use the produce plastic bags that I haven't found a good reusable replacement for. I keep being tempted by pretty, purpose made things, but the bags make it easy to take down and empty, then put the bag in the recycling.

• User
    12 years ago

Those ugly giant sized cat litter buckets make great compost buckets. The lid snaps down tight on it to keep the fruit flies at bay, and they hold a lot. When they get too grody, or the lid starts to tear from plastic fatigue, I hose them out and put them in the recycle bin. That's one thing about owning cats. There are always more litter bins available. ;) When I'm prepping, the scraps go in the "thank you for coming bowl" and then get wrapped in newspaper and placed in the bucket under the sink. That also is good for keeping the carbon to nitrogen ratio high enough so that no smells develop. I tried a shredder for the newspaper but it wasn't robust enough to handle it so I just use the sheets whole. It rots down just fine in time. We compost most of our paper waste rather than recycling it. About the only thing that goes in the recycle is glass, cans, and plastics.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

That's a beautiful pitcher, lolauren.

• leela4
    12 years ago

domino3-we do have to pick up the bucket to put something in the recycle bin, but that's no big deal. We have another bin in a different place for magazines and newspapers, so this one we use mostly for glass, cans and plastic. I just got a paint bucket with a lid and that's what I use for my scraps. I like it because it has a handle and is sturdy, although I have lusted for a pretty one. Here are some pics:

HTH

• carybk
    12 years ago

Currently we keep our compost in the bottom drawer of our fridge, in which everything was freezing anyway. When we get to it, I will be putting in a small trash can for compost on the door under the sink as in a previous post.

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

I put mine in a drawer in my prep island

The insert is a 1/4 steam table tray. I have two and rotate them.

• dretutz
    12 years ago

Mine is a stainless steel, lidded bucket (about 32 oz) with a charcoal filter in the lid. It receives only fruit and veggie scraps as well as coffee grounds in their paper filters. It lives in the corner of the Franke deep sink and gets emptied to the outdoors worm compost system a few times a week. There is no odor. It is scrubbed after emptying and does not bother me.

• ccintx
    12 years ago

Mine is a huge stainless steel stock pot I got at Goodwill for $5. It lives under the sink. No flies, no smell. When it's full, I just dump it outside on the pile. Clean it with hot soapy water, and start over.

• katsmah
    12 years ago

I have a white ceramic pail with the charcoal filter that sits on the counter. Never a problem with odor or fruit flies. I empty it every couple of days.

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

I tried doing what celtic showed and I really didn't like it. It took too much care in placing the stuff inside.

We have a red plastic pail with biohazard warnings on it that lives near the back door but it's easily moved if needed. When its full, it goes out. It doesn't take long enough to fill to worry about odors.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

I have two, one under each sink, in an Ikea gray plastic pullout that allows me to roll it out. There are lids that fit loosely and can be opened with one hand. Compost heap is a good distance away so I get a good amount into each pail before taking the hike to garden to dump them. Rectangular containers have handles, like pails. Probably the stinkiest stuff we generally put in them is aging broccoli and brussels debris--I can sometimes smell when that needs to be sent out.

We have plenty of garden produce, so this setup works for us. The one by prep sink fills faster sometimes, but there is material generated across the kitchen also.

We have a receiving tray embedded in a drawer adjacent to our cutting board, but that's temporary--we dump it into bucket soon after using it. It's fabulous but needs to be monitored because I don't want the guck to accumulate in the drawers and there is no lid. I know I posted photos in past--perhaps someone can find the reference?

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

LWO, wrapping the scraps in newspaper is a great idea! 99% of the time I have to find extra browns to add to the pile, this is a great idea for adding it on a regular basis.