Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jason92s

Dishwasher Cutout Problem

jason92s
9 years ago

We moved into our house about 3 months ago and the dishwasher started leaking a week ago. Turns out the seal is bad and the home warranty will cover it. However, the plumber said they won't remove the dishwasher because of how it was installed. Turns out the cutout wasn't tall enough for the dishwasher, so they ended up doing some funky stuff to get it to fit. I was able to remove it after about two hours of swearing last night. I'm attaching a picture of the cutout to help with my post. From the top of the cutout to the tile floor, it's 33 3/8" tall. From the top of the cutout to the plywood it's 34 3/8". My issue is that I haven't been able to find a dishwasher that's shorter than 33 1/2" so I'm honestly not sure what we can do. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments (12)

• Fori
    9 years ago

Are you willing to install it yourself (and maybe void the warranty)? I had a vertical clearance issue installing a new dishwasher into an old hole and had to remove the leveling feet to get it in. (My warranty wasn't voided after all, but I'm sure the service guy could have been difficult if he wanted to be.)

My dishwasher is slightly under 33 1/2" without its feet. If your hole is level, you might be able to get away with going feetless. Go to the appliance store and measure them and see what you gain by removing the feet. (Mine is a Fisher Paykel if you want to measure the new models of those.)

• jason92s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the quick response. I'm definitely ok with potentially voiding the warranty. I was wondering about removing the feet on a new model but worried that the feet might be needed to help the unit operate correctly in some fashion (airflow issue?) The current dishwasher has the water inlet at the very bottom, so removing the feet isn't an option as it will rest on it and break. I just lowered the feet as low as I can without having the inlet touch the ground and I can just get the dishwasher to slide in the hole. But then it drops another inch and there's a pretty tall gap at the top. I'm thinking of building up the right/left side of the cutout about 3/4" so that the feet will slide on it and give enough clearance for the inlet at the bottom. That would also fix my gap problem at the top.

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

One possibility is to cut the floor tile back a liittle at the front (as done on left in your photo) with an abrasive coated blade recipricating saw, lay new plywood bottom and have advantage of being able to buy a regular size dishwasher.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Ask makes a few ADA compliant models at 32-1/4" tall. Fill in the floor to make level and use one of those.

• PurpleEyes_GW
    9 years ago

There are some models that are shorter, as I have a GE one due to the same exact issue. Also, a quick google search brought up this model (Frigidaire FDB2410HIC) which is 32.5" at it's minimum height. I'm sure there are others.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Look for ADA height dishwashers. Miele, Asko, Bosch and GE have them. There may be more that I am not familiar with!

Good luck.

• jason92s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all. We found some nice models that have a height that will work.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Try the aj madison website as it seems to have the best search by dimensions feature available...but don't trust any site's specs. When you think you have selected the model look at the manufacturer's specs and check the space against their measurements. Also you can always replace a dishwasher with a dishwasher drawer and add a real drawer below it.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

when you reinstall, add a strip of something under it on each side so it is level with the tile. The cabinets will last longer than the dishwasher, and you may have to take it out again in the future for servicing.

this is an issue with a contractor who did not think ahead. It is always better to install the flooring, then the cabinets. I am sure there are many who will disagree on this topic, but I have been where you are - trying to remove a dishwasher when it was installed below floor level, and it is nearly impossible.

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

When I installed my KA, I had the same issue. I lowered the legs as much as I could and pushed the unit under the counter. The rear were on rollers so I laid some shims that allowed the rear to raise itself up as I pushed the unit back. The front I then raised after I got it all the way to the rear.

• homebodyoasis
    9 years ago

I am dealing with the same issue as of this weekend after having tile installed around/under our existing cabinets... My clearance is 33 1/2 at the front of the cabinet, but it tapers down to 33 1/4 towards the back. I purchased a GE GDT580SSFSS that was installed on Saturday. The installers took off the feet and put some shims underneath and told me there was enough clearance for air, however the unit is making a grinding noise when it runs so I don't trust that the motor is able to run the way it was intended... They also couldn't install the insulation or trim kit... I am looking at replacement options and due to my experience I would caution you about taking the legs completely off.. I really didn't think 1/8 could be that big of an issue... I am leaning towards an Asko, but haven't made a decision. Let me know what you decide on. :)

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

are you sure the grinding noise is not an integrated disposer? my kitchenaid had one and it made a grinding sound properly installed, it was supposed to.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x