Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How deep should my sink be?

Posted by momand3boys (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 15:15

I remember seeing a post a few years back that recommended sink depth based on your height. Can anyone find it for me? I've had no luck so far. I'm 5'10" and afraid to go with a Silgranit which have deep sinks. Tx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How deep should my sink be?

I think more important than your height is how far above the floor your hands are. Standing straight up, I can touch the bottom of my sink.

How deep is your current sink? Is it comfortable? Is your current sink overmount or undermount?

o

Keep in mind that the same sink in a top-mount version will have a higher bottom, because it sits on top of the counter, than a under-mount version.
Managing back and neck trouble also is something to consider, if you have any.

o

Rachiele has a height/depth ratio on their site. I'll link below.

I am about 5'8" and have a cleanup sink that ended up about 11" deep once it was undermounted in my 4cm stone. It's deep. I wish it was a bit shallower, but Blanco doesn't give you any depth choice in silgranit. I'm happy with my sink and wouldn't make a different decision just because I'd like the sink a bit shallower.

If you like sink grids (I don't), using one will effectively make your sink less deep for many tasks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sink depth/height table

o

I currently have a 7" sink and am looking forward to installing a silgranit sink (10") with my upcoming renovation. I currently have a single sink and hate having to handwash items in it. If I fill the sink with water, I can only have about 3" of sudsy water in it, which fills up quickly as I have to rinse above the water. I know others just don't use a sink with water in it (only soap and running water) but I don't use this method or like it---it doesn't allow dishes to soak while cleaning.

I can put the grid in the silgranit sink to make it not as deep, if desired. I think you need to examine how you use your sink to determine what you need. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here