Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

What do you all think of this faucet?

northcarolina
12 years ago

I think it is supposed to be a laundry/utility faucet, but I liked it when I saw it in a showroom the other day. Probably I was having some kind of reaction against the hugeness of all the other ones. lol. It somehow looked less obtrusive; narrower shaft and spout, or something. Any reason not to use a utility faucet in a kitchen, as long as it'd reach all corners of the sink? Would it look cheap? (Modest older house, but maybe I should buy a really nice-looking faucet to counteract the frugality of the rest of it.) It is flexible and is easier to position with one hand than the Karbon (less stiff). It converts to spray by twisting the spout, but I forgot to test whether I could do that one-handed. It stays on spray mode until you twist it again.

More information on Elkay site here

Youtube video of faucet in action here

{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

It's interesting, reminds me of a cobra. Then again DS is very into spitting cobras right now...

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I like it but wish the handle were less stick-like.

• Fori
    12 years ago

I like it! Can it be installed without the escutcheon plate?

It doesn't look cheap (is it? Extra points if it is!).

It'll attract attention for sure.

• northcarolina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cluelessincolorado -- funny you should say that. :)

dianalo -- Me too. I think it is trying to be "modern." (Or contemporary or whatever you call it now.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cobra faucet

• northcarolina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

fori -- I just looked it up, and yes you can leave off the escutcheon plate. I don't like those either. (I have one with my current sink/faucet setup.) Cheap depends on what you compare it to. It is around $260 give or take at a couple of websites. I don't know anything about Elkay faucet reliability, though, whether it'd need to be replaced in 5 yrs or would last 20 or what.

• sochi
    12 years ago

I totally looks like a cobra. I think I like it too.

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

I like the looks of the faucet. Couple things to check out are the flow rate, and the flexibility to reach all areas of the sink, like you said. I have a Danze commercial style faucet, and the flow rate is 2.5, if I'm reading the spec sheet correctly. The flow rate on your faucet is 1.5, which is more common. Make sure that is enough. As far as reaching, these tend to be stiffer than the pull out kind. It does take some getting used to. I like the fact that you don't have to push the hose back, or re-seat the faucet head in an arm when finished using it, which I have to do with the Danze. It's pretty inexpensive, so I'd say go for it. If you hate it, you're not out alot of money to replace it.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

I LOVE it. LOVE it. But it's clearly not for OCD types who would spend hours trying to get it to stand perfectly straight again...

• singingmicki
    12 years ago

Circuspeanut, that's what I was thinking...wondering how long it would actually stay standing nice and straight like that before it got some odd bends in it that drove the owner nuts!
    You'd have to play with it in the showroom to see if it holds its shape after lots of use.

• northcarolina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sochi and circuspeanut -- thanks, nice to know I am not crazy. :) And I laughed out loud at the OCD remark.

joyce_6333 -- the spec sheet says it comes with 1.5 installed and a 2.5 one also included in the box (as if I would ever remember where I put it or how to change them out). Do you have any trouble with the exposed spiral grooves on your faucet hose (assuming yours has them)? I am just wondering if they would get gunky after a while.

singingmicki -- I wondered too! Its "natural" shape seemed to be curved over a little more than in that picture but I'd have to go back and check. I got the impression that the one I saw was a very recent arrival in the showroom, so maybe I'll go back in a couple of months (if my existing faucet lasts that long) and see if it has gotten more floppy. Maybe there is a good reason the Karbon is stiffer.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

It does not have a "natural shape." Look at the video. It stays in whatever messy, uneven shape you last bent it to. Would drive me nuts.

• Fori
    12 years ago

I've never had an Elkay faucet (maybe they've only recently gotten into residential faucets?) but they've been in the sink and commercial faucet business an awfully long time.

If the shape annoys you, can't you just mash it down into the sink in a fit of rage?

The ribs might be a hassle to clean...but I forget most households don't get chunks of food EVERYwhere.

• northcarolina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marcolo and fori, you are both making me laugh! Did that make you cringe too, when the fellow in the video set it upright and the spout was off center? Surely that would never happen in MY house.

So I showed the picture to DH when he got home and he said, as predicted, that he didn't care and whatever I wanted was fine with him. He also informed me that our current one, which he bought over 20 yrs ago, is a Grohe. I guess I ought to quit referring to it as "that thing," eh?

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus