Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trailrunnerbiker

It's Friday...includes backsplash pic and countertop...

trailrunner
13 years ago

Had to make sure this was topical to Kitchens :) I have New Orleans photos framed and hung all over my kitchen. I grew up there and the idea just seems to work with the eclectic decor of my kitchen.

The fragrance from the Challah is almost too much on this sunny warm Fall day. We are having Thanksgiving this Sunday as my DS 2 will be here today and won't be able to get back for the holiday. DD is driving him in from Atlanta airport.

I first made this Challah in the mid 70's and have never stopped. The kids wouldn't know what to do if they didn't have this for any and all occasions. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Please post any pics you would like to share of your Kitchen at Work. c

Comments (79)

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sunny Wholewheat Bread

2c. rolled oats
    2c. milk
    1c finely chopped sunflower seeds
    1/2 c oil or melted butter/margarine/shortening
    1 T active dry or instant yeast
    1c warm water ( 100 degrees)
    1T honey
    1c unbleached or AP flour
    1 1/2 tsp table salt ( use less for Kosher)
    1/2 c honey
    6-7 c. whole wheat flour

Cook oatmeal and milk for 5 min. add seeds and oil let stand till 100 degrees. Combine yeast/warm water and 1 T honey in a small bowl and when it foams add to cooled oatmeal in a large bowl. Add unbleached or AP flour/salt/ rest of honey. Stir well. Add enough of the whole wheat flour to make a soft pliable dough. Let set for 30 min. Remove from bowl to lightly floured counter top. Oil hands lightly and knead dough for approx. 10 min till soft and pliable and not overly sticky. Add dustings of flour as needed. Place in clean oiled bowl and let rise for 1 1/2 hrs till double. Remove form bowl and divide into 3 loaves and place in greased 8x4in. loaf pans. Let rise approx 45 min till double. Bake at 375 for 40 min. till internal temp 200 degrees.

This is a wonderful bread for sandwiches and toast. The honey fragrance really comes out when toasted. It stays fresh for a long time due to the oil and honey. Enjoy !

• plumberry
    13 years ago

to the picture posters: Can you also share what kind of oven you like to bake in? I'm contemplating Wolf but would love to get your opinions on ovens.
    x

• doonie
    13 years ago

Hey Trailrunner! The desserts are out of Joy of cooking. The blueberry pie used the flakey cream cheese crust, which I'd never made before. It had 6 TB of cream cheese cut into the flour along with the unsalted butter. It is tasty. The raspberry tart is my favorite. I make it with a shortbread pat in the pan crust and topped with a streusal.

The Dim Sum recipes come from a book my mother cooked from when we were growing up. ("Dim Sum" by Rhoda Lee)

5 Spice Chicken Buns
    Dough (knead and let rise once before doing the filling):
    1 pkg yeast
    1 3/4 cup warm water
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    6 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Filling:
    2 cups diced chicken breast

Meat Marinade (at least 1/2 hour):
    2 tsp cornstarch
    1/2 tsp light soy sauce
    1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
    1/2 tsp sherry
    1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
    1/2 tsp bean sauce

Veggies:
    1/4 cup slivered almonds
    1/4 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup bamboo shoots
    2 stalks green onions, chopped

Sauce:
    2/3 cup chicken broth
    1 tbsp cornstarch
    1 tbsp oyster sauce
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt

1 tbsp oil

Stirfry marinated chicken in the oil until almost done, then add the veggies and cook til chicken is done. Add sauce at the end and cook til thickened. Chill so you can fill the buns.

Divide the dough and filling into 24 portions. To fill, flatten out the portioned dough into about a 4 or 5 inch patty and then put the filling in and wrap it up.

Allow to rise about 1 hour. Then brush with beaten egg white, 1 tsp water, and 1/4 tsp sugar. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes.

• norlandian
    13 years ago

Note to self: Try trailrunner's Challah recipe first thing after the oven gets installed.

Now I'll have to don my boots and trudge through the snow to the bakery--best I can do at the moment.

Thanks for the reminder of what a kitchen renovation is really all about.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hydrangea- I just planted 26 hydrangeas from Hydrangea + in Oregon. So far they are looking great. Do you have pics of yours ??? Would love to see how you plant around them in the landscape. When you get that beautiful kitchen finished we all want to see the baked goods !

plumberry: I have the Miele double ovens with Perfect Clean. I have been using them for 4 1/2 yrs. I bought the extended warranty and had to have them come out last month and replace the sensor in the lower oven. They also went ahead and did the top one also. This seems to be a common problem in several brands of ovens if you use very high heat for long lengths of time. I do artisan baking in the lower oven all the time ...500 degrees for over an hour. They say that using the self clean on ovens , if you do it alot, will also cause this failure. I have the Perfect Clean so I don't know. I do love my ovens and they bake perfectly.

Doonie - THANK YOU ! I did cut/paste this as we do so much Chinese cooking. I use the Fuschia Dunlop books and the bbq buns come from The Far East Cafe book...DH is really the Oriental Cook ! I just prep and do as I am told :) Will look up a " pat in shortbread" crust . I can't find mine grr. Probably skip the cream cheese due to calories LOL..but it looks wonderful.

mnerg...you be careful ! SNOW ???? Where are you ??? We will look forward to your pics/recipes too. c

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Trailrunner, I have two stupid questions: could I use ý cup of seed and ý cup of finely chopped walnuts in that recipe andâ¦can that bread recipe be of the three braid style? The braiding makes me look like I know what IâÂÂm doing and is so pretty.

Doonie, holy cow that all looks soooo good! DonâÂÂt know if you remember my vow to go on an egg white & vegetable diet due to weight gain during remodelâ¦lets just say I am now weak and giving in.

• doonie
    13 years ago

Trailrunner! Look what I found...a blog with the shortbread crust. It really is my favorite. And I hear you on the cream cheese in the other crust.

Plumberry, I have the GE Mongram Convection Double Ovens. I much happier with them than my old gas oven. They seem to bake more evenly and consistently.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cafe Johnsonia Blog

• doonie
    13 years ago

Jterrilynn, LOL!

Yes I remember. I have given in too. But I am fitting in my jeans again for today! There's only so much egg and veggies a girl can eat!!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jt...you can certainly sub any nut or coarse seed that you want. The walnuts may leave a purple cast to the dough wherever they touch. I don't know what the chemical reaction is but on the Fresh Loaf others have noted the color change...it is not a problem taste wise but does look different LOL. As to shaping I haven't ever braided any other bread dough...isn't that a funny thing to admit. So go for it. You may need to oil hands /dust your hands with flour/counter top with flour to be able to make the " snakes" . Try it and report back so we can all learn. You can bake it in a round casserole dish instead of bread pans if you want to also.

doonie: right after I read your note I found that link I am making my old stand by from Vegetarian Epicure. It is a buttermilk crust. 1 c. flour/cut in 5 Tbsp ice cold butter. chill and add a few Tbsp cold buttermilk. Form into a disc and chill. Makes a lovely crust. Only need to add salt if butter is unsalted but I always add a sprinkle to it. The acid in the buttermilk makes a very crsip crust. c

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Thank you Trailrunner! I love the idea of purple (from the nuts) braided bread so off to the store tonight to purchase my baking supply goodies. Hmmm maybe I could even sprinkle some other seeds on top. By now you might be getting a little idea of why I have had a disastrous past in the baking departmentâ¦I get too creative before I learn the basics lol. However, at least IâÂÂve smartened up enough to ask questions before I plunge in. Anyway, thanks for getting me on the bread kick.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I had a whole long post written about using whole wheat flour in other bread recipes last night, and also had written out my whole standard bread recipe and my computer decided it couldn't find the internet connection and lost it all!! So I'll try to repeat it sometime when I have a few more minutes.

Plumberry, after going through my other 3 ovens, I am so far really liking my Wolf oven.

• plumberry
    13 years ago

i'm really getting inspired to bake even before the kitchen reno. i love this thread. thank you

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is our early Thanksgiving Dinner. I roasted 2 chickens in my Mom's granite roaster. I used the lid for the 1st hour and then removed it for the last 1 1/4 hrs. I cooked at 350 for the 1st hr and then bumped it to 375...all on convection roast. I was very done but that is one of the great things about " dry brining" it never lets the bird dry out.

I also made the apple crostada. I used Gala apples. I used my buttermilk crust that I noted above. I made a double batch of the crust. I wish I had sauteed the apples first but now I will know for the next one. It sure tastes great though and with some Blue Bell vanilla icecream it was the perfect dessert. I used 375 convection bake for this in the 2nd oven while the chickens cooked above.

I hope everyone will post back. We will do this again next Friday if you like. c

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

Everybody's pictures look so very yummy! I very rarely bake bread because we're gluten-free and I've found that Udi's brand bread is quite good, so it's not really worth the hassle of making myself, but you've all inspired me to put some type of bread on the list of things to bake this week.

trailrunner's apple crostada reminded me of the apple upside-down cake I made earlier last week. I used ginger gold apples.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my that looks so yummy. I have never done an upside down with apples. I have a wonderful French apple cake that looks a lot like that. When we need another apple dessert LOL I will have to make it and post. So much food and so little time. c

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I was going to be roasting chickens right this very minute, but someone stuck my birds in the freezer... So maybe Tuesday instead!

What I said about whole wheat flour, but lost last night: I can sub 100% with my fresh hard white wheat (Montana Prairie Gold), plus a few tablespoons of vital wheat gluten, into almost any bread recipe. But if you're using pre-milled in the bags from the store, and particularly if it's red wheat, I'd only replace up to 1/2, or I noticed that America's Test Kitchen said to do 1/3 in the whole grain. It might take some trial and error to get it as your family likes. Adding nuts, seeds, and cracked grain (or even dried fruit) is as easy as throwing it in. I add cracked grains at an early stage, so they're not too hard on the teeth, but still add something to crunch.

My usual bread recipe (sandwich bread), made in my Bosch bread mixer with dough hook (Makes 5 loaves):

5 c warm water
    3/4 c canola oil
    3 Tbsp SAF instant yeast
    2/3 c sugar, brown sugar, or honey
    2 c cracked grains
    4 c freshly milled whole hard white wheat flour
    * (see below)

Mix well and let sit to 'sponge' for 30 - 60 minutes. (will rise to about double and be bubbly.)

Add
    3 Tbs dough enhancer
    1/4 - 1/2 c vital wheat gluten (*- see below)
    2 Tbs salt (your choice...I usually use Kosher)
    This is also when you'd add chopped nuts and seeds
    and
    approx 7 cups flour...Add a few cups and mix in. When the dough is getting pretty stiff, add in 1/2 cup increments just until the dough is cleaning the sides of the mixer bowl. Let knead for 7 or 8 minutes. Dough should be smooth and elastic, and not too sticky.

I spray the dough with Pam for easier handling, take it out of the bowl, and divide into 5 pieces. I pull the sides around and under to form an elongated ball shape. Place each in a greased loaf pan and spray the dough with Pam or coat with oil. Cover with towel and let rise approx 40 minutes til double or just about. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake for approx 30-35 minutes, until internal temp is 190 to 200 degrees.

____________________________________________________________________________

* When I was having trouble with wheat with low protein, which might also help with preground whole wheat flour, I added
    1 large or 2 medium potatoes, diced, then cooked soft in the microwave with 1/2 cup water --mashed, then cooled to warm
    and
    1/2 c cottage cheese or yogurt
    to the sponge portion of the recipe...and used the 1/2 c of vital wheat gluten instead of 1/4 c.

• judydel
    13 years ago

laxsupermom would you mind sharing your upside down apple recipe? We still have lots of apples to use up from our 5 apple trees!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Screw the baking - I am going visiting!

Doonie - your house first....

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

judydel, I actually had posted this on my blog with pics, but here's a quick rundown. It was an on the fly, improvised dessert, so all measurements are approximate.

Peel, core, and slice 4-5 apples. Put them in a skillet with 1/4 cup butter & 1/3 cup brown sugar. Cook over medium low for 4-5 minutes. Dump them into a buttered cake pan.(I make the first layer pretty, then dump the rest in.) While the apples cook, whisk 2 eggs, 2/3 cup agave nectar, 1/2 cup applesauce, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 tbsp vanilla, and 6tbsps melted butter in a medium sized bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together 1/2 cup white rice flour, 1/2 cup brown rice flour, 1/4 cup tapioca flour, 1 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 tsp xantham gum. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until the batter is smooth. Pour into the pan over the apples and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before running a knife around the rim and turning the cake out of the pan.

I wanted this cake to taste like apples, not pie, so I didn't add any baking spices, but you can. If you don't have agave nectar, you can substitute honey and if you're a gluten eater, you can substitute ap flour for the flours and xantham gum. This cake was enjoyed by both gluten eaters and gf eaters, but I realize that most people don't have 15 different flours in their baking supplies.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Trailrunner--I have been itching to try an eggless challah recipe for some time, but your pics put me over the edge. After some research, i whittled together a recipe that used ground flax seed and mashed sweet potato and plantain. It made a nice bread, but not the challah I grew up with. My son doesn't know any different so he just loved loved loved it.

Should go nicely with this plum pomelo marmalade I made the other day:

Two loaves made. One I will freeze for when baby comes in 5-8 weeks! Would like to work on the recipe some more, but getting tired. Was just assigned to bring in 48 dinner rolls for son's school Thanksgiving feast and think I will go the faux-challah recipe route.

Thanks for the inspiration!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I have some good news and some bad news about my attempt at the Sunny bread recipe. The bad news is that it hardly rose at all but I went ahead and baked it. The good news is that I sliced it up and made a delicious sort of Biscotti out of it. My sons loved it and the addition of combining three (chop walnuts, shop sunflower seed and a little flax seed) to make the cup made it taste very yummy. I am now attempting to do it all over again until I get it right. Why? Because my momma didnâÂÂt raise no quitter!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I just discovered Udi's bread a week or two ago and I have to agree it's one of the best I've found, including the many, many I've tried baking myself. I also like Whole Foods' GF breads...I discovered them at the same time I discovered the Udi's! The cashier at Whole Foods told me they get calls all the time asking if they carry Udi's!

And that reminds me, I need to get bread for GF stuffing next week. Wait...is Thanksgiving really next week!!!! Time is flying!!!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sabjimata: you are certainly willing to try anything ! I am so glad that your combination has worked for you. The jam also looks wonderful and I bet it tastes great on the bread. Please do post back with a pic of the rolls.

OK jt: when bread doesn't rise it is due to a couple things. One you didn't have " good " yeast : did the yeast foam up well ?

Two : the weather was too cool and you needed to warm the oven to 90 degrees and place the covered bread in there to rise .

Three: you had it TOO warm for the bread to rise and killed the yeast.

Four: the yeast didn't foam well and you went ahead with the bread.Did you cool the cooked oatmeal ???? Must be below 100. Even 90 is OK.

You didn't knead sufficiently to get the gluten to develop . Was the bread lovely and pliable " like a baby's bottom". If it was too stiff...you added too much flour then that can affect the rise time. When I am making a new recipe I usually hold back as much as a cup of flour since different flour absorbs water differently. I don't know what whole wheat flour you used. Let me know what you think it might have been based on the above suggestions. Also did you make the challah? It is a good starter bread as the whole grain ones can be more of a challenge.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

2nd Batch of Sunny bread Update & help needed>>>

#1 Yeast foamed

#2 Put bread in oven on Bread Proof setting of 100f, thermometer reads 84 degrees. Left in for 1 ý hours, bread got bigger but not exactly double, left a little longer but it stayed the same
    #3 See above

#4 Used thermometer for oatmeal temp⦠100 degrees
    Kneaded bread for ten minutes

With the 2nd batch I have formed into 3 loafs and put back into Bread Proof setting (didnâÂÂt do that with first batch & nothing happened-did not rise). 45 minutes have passed and bread is not double although it is about ü larger. I guess I may as well wait to see if it grows anymore.

If anyone from S.E. Florida reads this could you tell me if our climate and the fact that we are at sea level affects bread making and share your tips. IâÂÂm ready to blame Florida because IâÂÂm getting a bit discouraged LOL.

Note: I think I added too much flour the first time. On this 2nd batch I left out at least a cup. Dough is pliable, however, although I have the bread sitting covered & itâÂÂs past itâÂÂs 45 min stage on bread proof settingâ¦when I check on it itâÂÂs not dry looking but has some crevices in it. Is it to late to do anything with this 2nd batch?

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm...I would let it rise longer....my proof setting on the oven says 100 so I never use it since that is pretty hot to rise bread. 84 sounds good. Let rise about 2 hrs or so. I don't understand. And no FL shouldn't be any different at all for rising bread. It really should poof up and be light and soft. This IS a puzzle. Can you take pics ???? I haven't made it in some time but I sure used to make it all the time. Hmmm...hope someone else will help out. And I am going to make it asap and post pics as a tutorial for you and me both ! c

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jt: I am sorry...I just looked at my handwritten recipe. It does say 1 Tbsp yeast but there is no way that that is enough. It has sufficient STUFF in the bread and flour etc that it should be 2 T or pckgs. of yeast not one. If you mix the 2nd packg of yeast with a small amount of water and let dissolve and then knead it thoroughly into the bread dough that you have been trying to rise and start over with the 2nd rising it should be fine. I really apologize that is all I can think is that I have ignored my own recipe cause I bet I used 2x as much yeast. c

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Thank you trailrunner, I'm preheating the oven now so I will add the extra yeast. Do I have to go through the 1 1/2 hours- form - 45 minute stage again?

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

That's it, I am giving up on Sunny bread. I am now the master of Biscotti. Here is the last batch which turned into cinnamon biscotti. The first batch of bread turned into peanut butter/honey biscotti and was gone in a day. At least I'm not waisting food lol. Time for a trip to Costco for kirkland multigrain bread. http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=viewät=biscotti001.jpg"; target="_blank">

• time4tea
    13 years ago

Wow, this thread makes me anxious to get back into my kitchen. Everything looks and sounds delicious!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh jt you are so smart ! I never would have thought to make it into biscotti ! Are you making the full recipe every time so far ? That is a LOT of biscotti LOL.

Oh well you are done with the batch now. Yes when you added more yeast and kneaded it and the extra water it was in and then some flour you would need to let it do the 2nd rise again in a warm place and then bake.

Please don't give up. Get a new jar of yeast and do the recipe with 2 T of yeast. Are you using Fleishmann's yeast in the glass jar or the packets? It says active dry or instant on the pkg. I will make the bread and post back...this has me so embarrassed. c

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Trailrunner, I just got out the yeast I bought and it says Red Star Active Dry Yeast. On the bottom of jar in small print it says "For Traditional Baking and Bread Machines". For the Challah bread I used packets and that bread came out nice.
    The Biscotti...yes, lots of it but food doesn't sit long in this house. I won't give up on brown bread making because it's not in my nature to give up until I have success but I think I may try a different sort besides Sunny Bread...lol I feel jinxed hehehe

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am glad the Challah came out great. FWIW....I can't get Red Star to do anything in the way of rising bread. I had bought a one # bag of it from my health food store well over a year ago and after 2 uses of it when the bread didn't rise I took it back. It has a fruity smell to it and there is something different about the product that they are doing to it.If you Google Red Star yeast there used to be a lot of discussions about it not working and the weird fruity odor. I can give you some other tried and true whole grain recipes....if you want...I would get the packets and use Fleishman's and do the whole wheat one more time. Just to put it all to rest for once and for all. c

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Ok, I will give it another try. I have learned too much on what not to do to waste the knowledge.

• kimkitchy
    13 years ago

trailrunner, I really would like to try the Challah, or any other bread from scratch, but I have a problem. I live at 7,700 feet. I make bread in the breadmaker and plain white bread comes out OK and sometimes whole wheat, if I cut the yeast by 1/4 tsp per 2,000 feet of elevation (or roughly cut it by 3/4 tsp.) But, most of the time, especially with whole grain recipes the bread just doesn't rise. I never thought of it as "biscotti"! Great idea jterrlynn! I'd like to try "real" breadmaking, kneading and all, but I'm intimidated.

Can you or anyone else offer any practical advice for making bread at very high altitudes?

Thanks,
    -Kim

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jt if you want me to bake the bread tomorrow I will be glad to do it and post pics of each stage. I intended to do it today but life got in the way. I truly don't understand except as I said I have had no luck at all with Red Star. I use SAF now only or else my " wild yeast" and I never ever have a problem. I also have used Fleishmann's for years and years and never had a failure so I think it is the Red Star.

Kim I am not at all familiar with high altitude baking but I did find this great link and I think it has some good suggestions. If you Google baking bread at high altitude I saw a number of good sites. Mostly it says that you have to decrease the flour, increase the liquid, decrease the yeast, punch down 2x as it rises so fast and this helps develop the flavor and always use salt and that also slows the yeast. So the Challah would be a great place to start as it is easy to rise. Write down the suggestions in the article attached and then rewrite the recipe for those changes so you don't get mixed up....I think it should work fine. The other thing to think about doing is the " wild yeast" baking that I started a couple years ago. It is w/o real yeast and has no sugar etc so should respond differently to high altitude. I use the Fresh Loaf web site to get info all the time. It is a great place. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Baking at high altitude.

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

You guys are killing me!! I have been away from home travelling on biz for three weeks now and I am DYING to get back home and into the kitchen... Loving all these new recipes to try - C, thanks for starting this great thread. You know I love your recipes and inspiration.

Eliz

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Eliz...you have been missed. I thought this would be over by now LOL. Looks like we may run into next Friday...hope someone else will pick up the torch and post then. c

• malhgold
    13 years ago

OK...so I'm in the middle of my first try at challah and i'm not too optimistic. not sure if the yeast foamed enough and after i folded the wet mixture into the flour, it seemed pretty dry(maybe that's how it's supposed to look?). Anyway, Trailrunner, whenever you get a chance to take photos as you go along, it would be greatly appreciated. I didn't think this could be too difficult, but I can't help but think it's not going to turn out right. Thanks!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey so you are doing the challah. I think there are tutorials for it on my photobucket album under food pics...

you say dry...well the mixture isn't really moist looking when you first toss it together....there are in fact crumbly bits all in the bottom of the bowl. This is why you do the autolyse...for 30 min. Then you begin kneading and it all comes together as the gluten develops. It takes about 10 min. of kneading and very little extra flour at all...mere tsp. dusted on the counter. But yes I would say it looks dryish when you forst toss it together . Let me look at my photobucket...

• malhgold
    13 years ago

ok...well then it sounds like i did ok so far, because your crumbly description sounds about right. just finished kneading(hope I did enough of that), so I guess we'll see in about an hour if it has actually risen!!!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

here is right after shaping

yeast proofing:

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Yay, Malhgold! If you didn't proof the yeast as much as Trailrunner, I wouldn't worry about it. If it was bubbly or foamy at all, t's likely to still work fine.

I think it was in the America's Test Kitchen cookbook or baking cookbook that described that look as 'hairy' when you stir it together and before it autolyses...Which is a word I had to look up when trying Trailrunner's recipe! ('autolyse', not 'hairy.')

• malhgold
    13 years ago

Well....they are now in the oven, so we'll see what happens in 1/2 hour. Made 2 loaves. They looked a little "skinny", so we'll see.

• malhgold
    13 years ago

While not nearly as pretty as trailrunner's or jterrilynn's, it tastes pretty good! Thanks for the recipe! Any advice on what I could do to make it "look better" next time. Maybe I need to do more braids. I did brush it with the egg yolk/half n half mixture, but maybe didn't get it in all the nooks and cranny's I needed to. Also doesn't seem as smooth as your breads.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

YEAH you did it. I wish i had pics of my first loaves from 35 yrs ago !! You rock. It does take practice kneading and shaping. I have made two tutorials and will post them tomorrow. I have taken LOTS of pics and will make slideshows and then you will see. I made both the Challah which just this minute came out of the oven and I made the Sunflower Whole Wheat bread...there are errors in the recipe I posted so I will also correct those....I just hope that jterri doesn't KILL me :) I had to add water and leave out flour. I can only say that when I thought back it has been 25 years since I made it so who knows how things have changed ! Anyway ...tomorrow is Friday #2....looking forward. c

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

Well, today is Friday again and guess what I am doing? I have NEVER made yeast bread from scratch (unless you count the bread machine). I an trying Trailrunner's recipe. The dough is autolysing right now. wish me luck! If it turns out good, I'll make this to serve on Thanksgiving.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Nice job, Malhgold. Yours have a little bit of a rustic look to them that I like.

Best wishes, Ccoombs1! Making bread is addicting once you get started and find it's not so hard.

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

Malhgold, your backsplash design looks interesting. I wish I could see more of it......thanks

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

They came out great and really pretty too! I took photos all the way through but my camera is not speaking to my computer right now so I can't seem to get them downloaded. It's so interesting though....I have never kneaded dough before so I didn't know what to expect. The directions say to knead it until it's soft. About 7 minutes into kneading, all of a sudden I felt it softening!! This is pretty fun! I may not use my bread machine any more.

• malhgold
    13 years ago

Rustic look?!?!LOL!!! I think they look like chickens!!!

irishcreamgirl - here's more of the backsplash. Still not grouted and the backsplash has been up for at least 6 months.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling