Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeychurch_gw

99.9% finished kitchen--thank you for everything!

honeychurch
13 years ago

I can't believe I first found this forum over a year ago, and now I am finally able to post photos of my new kitchen. Without all of you, I never would have known about soapstone, plugmold, baffles, Miele DWs, and drawers drawers drawers (to name but a few things I learned here)!

Unfortunately my computer died a few weeks ago and I lost some photos, but for those interested on seeing the before (or simply more pictures of the process), I'll link to my blog at the end.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen progress blog

Comments (35)

• cookie08
    13 years ago

Details, Details, we want Details!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Wow! The mix of colors works so well for you! What is that BS behind the range? Please give us all the juicy details!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I love all the separate pieces...The oven cabinet, the pantry, the appliance garage hutch, and your island pieces. Your soapstone looks amazing...and the copper...How unique and cool!

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

This is beautiful, I agree, I want to see the details. I love the colors!

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I left out the important stuff! Here it is:

Appliances: Bosch 500 double ovens and induction cooktop; Miele Inspira DW; Thermador Freedom 36" french door fridge; KitchenAid fridge/freezer drawers (in the hutch); Best hood insert.

Lighting: pendants are Meyda Tiffany fishscale; island fixture is the Akordian Two-light (I think this is Architects and Heroes, but I got it on clearance at VanDykes Restorers)

Faucets: Waterstone Towson Gantry and Towson cold water faucet in American Bronze

Floor: can't remember who made it right now, but the color is Ocean and it is a porcelain tile made from recycled materials

Walls: BM Powell Buff

Backsplash and hutch door inserts: custom fired and sealed copper from Marbleized Copper

Countertops, 2" beaded trim, and 33" block sink: Bucks County Soapstone (I believe the counters are Santa Rita Venata, but don't hold me to it)

Cabinets: custom by Kevin Ritter of Timeless Kitchen Design. Face frames and doors/drawer fronts are all of reclaimed lumber; finish is milk paint.

Here is one more picture of my message/phone center, tucked into a corner. I got the cork board off Etsy and the sewing machine was my great-grandmothers (still works, too--if only I knew how to use it!):

• ajard
    13 years ago

it is BEAUTIFUL.. love how you mixed the colors!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

What a happy, colorful, eclectic kitchen! I love it and it all works so well together! I'm in lust over your copper--it's such a perfect complement with the colored cabs. And your main light fixture and faucet look so steam punk--I love them!

And I'd like to say thanks so much for taking the time to show how you organized everything in your wonderful new space on your blog. It's so helpful to those of us still in the planning/wishing stage. Don't forget to put your kitchen in the FKB so we can study it again & again! Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

• sochi
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is just beautiful. Lovely colours, charmingly unfitted, just perfect. I love it. Fabulous view too. My favourite bit may be the "islands" - what is (or was) the larger dark table? I love the faucet too.

Thanks for posting, I will spend more time on your blog tonight checking out all the details.

• maidielou
    13 years ago

Wow! I'm a sucker for a blue and white kitchen, but yours in especially gorgeous! Love love love the "furniture cabinetry" especially the double oven surround. The brick is a surprising detail... and that faucet- yummy!! Great work.

• lala girl
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is so gorgeous and unique. It looks like perfection that evolved over time - thank you for sharing it!!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

MMMMMmmmmmmmmilk paint! Ahhhh!

LOVE your kitchen. You know I love the copper!

You have such interesting details going on. Everything is so adorable, custom and expensive looking! Totally classic period remodel. Can you tell us more about the house that it is in?

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. This was the first time I ever took on a project on this scale, and it was certainly an adventure, but made much easier by having this forum to rely on, even as a lurker before I had the courage to post! ;-)

To answer some questions/comments:

We initally started with just off-white; then added the green, and then our cabinet maker suggested adding a third color as well. So it evolved over time.

The light fixture and faucets were two instances I went over budget, but when I saw them I couldn't forget them, and then when DH saw them and loved them, our fate was sealed...

The darker part of the island used to be a work table; one end still has a working vise, though we just drape dish towels over it:

The brick chimney was previously covered by a wall, and we chose to reveal it as a decorative element.

The house is from 1873, more farmhouse style than ornate Victorian though we do have some cool detailed carved hinges and doorknobs left in the house. The current kitchen is not where the original kitchen was (things were shifted around in the 1960s). We are only the 5th owners in 137 years, and everyone seems to have taken great care of the place!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think your kitchen is wonderful ;). I love all the vintage and edgy touches. Bravo!

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Love the steampunk vibe!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

looks great! we had an 1834 house previously...old houses are very fun. i just knew yours had to be an oldie. enjoy!

• homechef
    13 years ago

Absolutely stunning! You have my favorite faucet, I wish I had room for it. Love all the colors, beautiful kitchen. Enjoy!

• prill
    13 years ago

Beautiful... Love the old work table, the different color cabinets - the separate pieces... Wonderful job.

• artmeetsscience
    13 years ago

Great job. What a beautiful mix of color and texture. The blues, greens and copper bring the outdoors in beautifully.

• plumberry
    13 years ago

Lovely! congratulations.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Wow, just amazing with the use of color and character. I think I am in love with the fishscale pendant. :)

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for the compliments. Renovating this kitchen was probably one of the hardest and yet most fun and exciting things I've ever done, and we are so happy with the results.

Is it terrible I'm already thinking about what we could do with the bathrooms?

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Happy Thansgiving to everyone--had a wonderful time cooking for family in the new kitchen!

• katsmah
    13 years ago

I love the painted cabinets, the colors work so well together.

• puppeez
    13 years ago

I think I might even enjoy the clean-up phase of turkey day with all the soapstone and that drop dead gorgeous faucet. I'd be spending waaaay too much time 'cleaning' the counters and 'spraying' the dishes. Great job!

• houseful
    13 years ago

Wow! That looks fabulous! I love your attention to detail!

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! :-)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I saw you post on the other thread, and searched out your kitchen. I must have missed it due to the holiday... and this forum moves so fast, I usually don't go past Page 2.

You did a great job! I like using several colors and love the unfitted look, as you may well know. ;) Love the old work bench. I've never seen a faucet like that before - will search it next to see it clearly. I second whoever said to be sure and put it on the FKB. Enjoy, and thanks for pointing it out so I wouldn't miss.

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I also like the unfitted look. I'm also planning white cabs with soapstone counter tops.

I picked up an old treadle machine at an auction a few years back - $5 and no one else wanted it. I use mine as an a small table too.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

I missed this one! My Thanksgiving got in the way of GW! LOL.

Color, color, color! Me loooooves color! I love the mixture of cabinet colors, and they look smashing together!

And that faucet is absolutely fascinating! Love your worktable too! I am so loving the vibe you have going!

Congrats and ENJOY!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

I love it. Unique, different, not over done. Elegant, simple, honest.

My fave is the backsplash behind the range. I like simple things that are about materials, so the copper is great.

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

Really like your kitchen. It looks like it would be fun to explore. The drawers and doors seem to invite you to look inside. Great job.

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for taking a look--it's much appreciated!

• jenellecal
    13 years ago

Such a beautiful space and the colors just sing to my soul :) Great job!!!

• igloochic
    13 years ago

I'm coming to the party late but wanted to say wow! And thank you!!!!!!! I'm doing a historic kitchen (1889 queen Anne) and I'm bound by both an old grant from the 70s and my own need to keep the place feeling very Victorian on the top three floors. I was torn by this challenge because I don't think I can live without a spray on my faucet. Not a whimpy little push button one, but a real high arch sprayer. I love you...you're my santa claus and tooth fairy all in one!!!!!!! I'm buying two of those right now lol.

• honeychurch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awesome igloochic! :-) Can't wait to see your photos. Thanks for the compliment, and we do love our faucet, very glad we picked it. We had the same difficulty--DH loved his culinary faucet from our old home in TX and we despaired of finding a vintage look replacement. This one is certainly unique, hope it works for you!