Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevenn_gw

Kitchen renovation

StevenN
10 years ago

We recently did a complete renovation of our kitchen. We acted as GC ourselves, and are delighted with the outcome. It's now been over a year since our project concluded, and I thought we'd make our first post to this forum. Our goals were to have a thoroughly world class space for cooking and family, which meant quality materials and a layout informed by 15 years of living with our previous kitchen. Among the things we did: Relocated the stove (was a cook top located in the island, now is a full range located on the wall); installed a prep sink in the island; installed disposals in both sinks; switched from polished granite to soapstone; replacement of all lighting fixtures; remade the refrigerator wall; new floors, etc. Some of the details: BlueStar 6 burner stove (phenomenal); Subzero 36" built in refrigerator; Subzero built in freezer drawers; Miele wall oven; Miele lift door (hides our microwave); soapstone counter tops (Bucks County Soapstone was great to work with); polished stainless steel plumbing fixtures (Steam Valve Original); polished nickel hardware; custom fabricated table base and chairs (Antique Tables Made Daily, also great to work with); custom fabricated statuary marble table top; polished nickel lighting fixtures, etc.

Comments (33)

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic#2

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic#3

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #4

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #5

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #6

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #7

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #8

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #9

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #10

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #11

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #12

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #13

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #14

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Really pretty! Lots of atmosphere. Congratulations on a great job!

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #15

This post was edited by StevenN on Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 15:34

• olympia776
    10 years ago

Looks beautiful! What color are the cabinets?

I love how rich it all looks and it looks like it blends really well with the adjoining rooms. Congrats and enjoy!

• martinkk333
    10 years ago

Stunning. I know it is a pleasure to live in that kitchen every day. What are the floors? I love the floors.

• eurekachef
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful kitchen and a beautiful home. It must be just so pleasant and relaxing to be there!

• threegraces
    10 years ago

Lovely - we have a similar color scheme. What color grout did you use? We are ABB.

Beautiful job - congrats.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Kudos to you for acting as your own GC and getting such a lovely result. Your fully integrated fridge and freezer drawers are marvelously executed. Love your soapstone and table as well (we considered soapstone strongly as well)

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

StevenN Really beautiful result! I love seeing the variations on the theme with the white kitchens. Mine will be finished - someday... So it's great to see other projects that are self GC'd.
    Who did your floors? If you had Bucks do your soapstone, you are in my neck of the woods and I need a flooring finisher!
    Please add a pic of the main sink area and share what faucets you chose. How do you like the soapstone sinks?
    Who did the marble top on the table? Love it!!!

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

Very nice! The soapstone is beautiful!

• PRO
    Allison Gamba Design Consultant
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, wishing you many years of enjoyment in it!

• deedles
    10 years ago

Very beautiful kitchen, really lovely. Your whole house looks lovely, too.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Wow. Really nice. I love the floors.

Your color choices are great. If you don't mind me asking, what color did you do in the hall? It looks like a nice soft green.

Great table too. I'm off to look at the table site you mentioned.

• perky_2
    10 years ago

Love it all!

I have a couple of questions.

What are your kitchen dimensions?

Are you happy with a 36" fridge? Does it store enough food for a couple of weeks? I am trying to decide on fridge now.

Where do you put pantry items? Is that a pantry on the fridge wall?

Thanks - I am currently in the lost stage of kitchen remodel and loving what you did with your's.

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments.

Here are replies to the questions you've asked:
    The kitchen and adjacent eating area are each roughly 15' x 15'. The combined space measures approximately 15' x 30'.

Our cabinets are a soft chalk white color. The maker is Homestead (in Lancaster, PA), and I am not sure what the color is called.

The floors are Brazilian Cherry, also called Jatoba. What you see in the photos is its natural color. No stain has been applied.

The grout color is called Silver Shadow. It is by Laticrete. We used the epoxy grout, and it has worked out great.

The soapstone has been fabulous, and we love the bow front on the sink. The sink itself is 36" wide, and is the perfect size for our hard working kitchen.

The faucets are from the Steam Valve Original line, and are made by a British company and distributed in the USA by Jaclo. They are all polished stainless steel. No tarnish, no fading, no wearing off of the finish, etc.

The entry foyer is painted a Benjamin Moore color that is a pale olive green color, but I no longer recall what its name is :-(

We had the statuary marble table top fabricated ourselves. Selected a slab at ABC Stone in Queens, NY. Then had it cut to size and finished by a shop in Norwalk, CT.

Very happy with the 36" Subzero refrigerator. It holds more than our previous 36" Samsung (french doors). It's all refrigerator, top to bottom, so it holds quite a bit. The lower two drawers are separately temperature controlled from the top. One is a hydrator for vegetables and we use the lower drawer for drinks (cans, bottles, etc.).

Our pull out pantry is located on the same wall as the refrigerator, to the left of the wall oven.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Very beautiful kitchen! I'm in same boat as ppbenn and someday I'll have a completed kitchen (finally got it scheduled for next year). Your floors are stunning! Makes me want to re-consider wood floor. Thanks for naming some of your sources; I'm in your neck of the woods.

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are a few photos of the areas around our two sinks, as requested by ppbenn:

• StevenN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sink2

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Beautiful! You did an amazing job being your own GC! I'm doing the same, but my kitchen is really small. I can't imagine doing it for a kitchen that size. I'm overwhelmed with mine! Very impressive job I'd love to see more pictures of your table. It's stunning! Great job.

• whit461
    10 years ago

Great work, guys. Love pics #7 and #15. Love the pulls, which we our runner ups for our remodel. Have already emailed the wall cabinet pic to my DW as I just decided on the 36" SZ integrated for next year when we plan to replace the only appliance we didn't during the remodel. Thanks for sharing and Happy T'giving.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

gorgeous. I also like that green paint color.

I grew up in your neck of woods. Still think it is one of the loviest areas; I loved playing in the woods. My parents had a huge round coffee table at a local granite yard, using Blue Pearl, with a custom metal base. That was my first exposure to granite.

I'm sure you are enjoying your new kitchen and stunning home.